You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Bohemian Rhapsody 5/10.

I must be from a different planet, truly flabbergasted. They got a Bafta for best picture? For this? And Malik, utterly irritating, a scrawny googly eyed weirdo with zero charisma tries an impression of Freddie Mercury and gets and Oscar.

There is one thing I will admit though, it ends with the full 20-minute recreation of their Live Aid performance (was this a big deal? I thought U2 stole the show?), which is fitting. The entire film should have been a re-enactment of one of their big stadium concerts, you would learn about the same amount of stuff about Mercury and the band as from this film. Actually, you would learn more, because most of what they put in the film apparently wasn't even true.

This was just... I give up. Bring on the apocalypse.

• Upvote 3

Sicario 2: Day of the Soldado

A big steaming mess of a film, only made watchable thanks to some helicopters, shooty bits and Del Toro's brooding charisma. Felt more like a TV movie in places, with computers that bibbity-boop, and stilted scenes that screamed reshoot. Worst of all, the director cuts away from a major gunfight to show a girl's reaction - ooh, the horror of violence, yeah, we get it, now show us the fucking violence you plum.

5/10

On 01/04/2019 at 17:27, SasaS said:

True, most reviewers are careful not to stick out too much.

The Guardian reviewer however really goes out of his way to stick it to The Highwaymen, calling it odious and dimwitted. To be fair , a lot of it seems to come from an ideological perspective, as if the film is some right wingers retelling of the story, with old white men trying to assert their power and relevance (I guess this is stricly a no-no). 

One other thing is, it seems everything with Costner gets a bad review now.  

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/mar/10/the-highwaymen-review-netflix-kevin-costner-woody-harrelson

Is the review off the mark?

The Highwaymen 7 /10.

More than a decent account of the Bonnie & Clyde phenomenon told from the perspective of law enforcement officers who chased them.

And that review is really complete rubbish, talk about odious and dimwitted.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, SasaS said:

The Highwaymen 7 /10.

More than a decent account of the Bonnie & Clyde phenomenon told from the perspective of law enforcement officers who chased them.

And that review is really complete rubbish, talk about odious and dimwitted.

I thought it was a decent film too. Nice to see a different side of the story too.

The Professor and The Madman

Mel Gibson and Sean Penn star in the curious true story about murder, madness, kinship and the compilation of te Oxford Englisg Dictionary. Yes, you read that correctly.

Excellent in the middle, with some quite moving scenes, but the film is at least half an hour too long and Natalie Dormer conjurs Dick Van Dyke, she really is a shit actress. Still would though.

6.5/10 in 1080p Yoda Kodi.

Arctic

Story about a man stranded near the North Pole after a plane crash, and his quest for survival. Mads Mikkelson stars and he is excellent as per usual.

Hardly any dialogue and I feel that this sort of thing has been done far better many times before. Devoid of suspense and tension.

6/10  watched on my IPTV VOD but loads of 1080p streams on Kodi.

Avengers: End Game 8/10

Really enjoyed that. Some very good linkage to the previous films and a fitting ending.

Probably prefer Infinity War overall, as that hit a few more spots action and comedy wise but this film is very, very well done and a very good/fitting close to the current Phase of films. 

Full of heart and very well made. 

On 21/04/2019 at 10:59, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Sicario 2: Day of the Soldado

A big steaming mess of a film, only made watchable thanks to some helicopters, shooty bits and Del Toro's brooding charisma. Felt more like a TV movie in places, with computers that bibbity-boop, and stilted scenes that screamed reshoot. Worst of all, the director cuts away from a major gunfight to show a girl's reaction - ooh, the horror of violence, yeah, we get it, now show us the fucking violence you plum.

5/10

Sicario 3: Day of the Solano

The life and chronicles of the first Peruvian football player in the Premiership and his career at Newcastle. Where he quickly grew to become a cult hero, until he controversially left to join Aston Villa after a falling out with Bobby Robson, however he finds redemption just a year later by rejecting a late offer join to European Cup winners Liverpool in favour of returning to the Geordies, with a young James Milner making a cameo appearance by going on a loan deal in the opposite direction. 

9/10 almost perfect, but loses a point for not showing us enough violence.