You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Just now, AngryOfTuebrook said:

He wrote the one that Frank Sinatra called the greatest love song ever.

It’s not though is it.  Frank himself sang better songs.  He also sung stuff that wouldn’t pass muster on a joe longThorne album so he wasn’t necessarily the best judge.  Harrison produced truly dire recordings after 1970.  Every album a stinker.  I don’t blame him, he lost interest after Living In The Material World, which actually had a bit of merit but got a shoeing from the press.  But scrape away the mythology and George was no more than an ok songwriter at best. 

12 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

wish I never posted de link now

anyway anyone who writes here comes the sun deserves his place in the sun, anyone disagree see me outside the Starmer thread closing time..

but in der meantime, tell em Junior,

I enjoyed the link, thanks & I like George Harrison.

I do think calling him one of the greatest songwriters of all time is fanciful however.

• Upvote 1

In the voice of the Reverend Al Shapton... he reads this forum and George was a mate...he'd be in full flow..

'May the unholy taxman our good brother George warned strike the non believers down and loosen them of their immaterial wealth"

"May the sunshine never come for those who doubted our glorious brother"

"May our Sweet Lord never be seen by the blasphemous people who discredit our good friend George."

'May all things pass over them whilst the righteous enjoy a higher being'  

you lot are fucked, i should be ok I got Georges greatest hits.

1 hour ago, Mook said:

I do think calling him one of the greatest songwriters of all time is fanciful however.

You don't know how long my list of greatest songwriters is, though!

Fair enough, he never produced as many classics as John, Paul,  Dylan, Cohen, Neil Young, Smokey Robinson, etc - but he came up with a fair few that were significantly better than Octopus's Garden.

4 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

You don't know how long my list of greatest songwriters is, though!

Fair enough, he never produced as many classics as John, Paul,  Dylan, Cohen, Neil Young, Smokey Robinson, etc - but he came up with a fair few that were significantly better than Octopus's Garden.

I love Octopus's Garden! 

48 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Got to be one of the most beautiful expressions of any artform, that's ever created been created? Spellbinding....

One of the few songs where I can remember what I was doing when I first heard it. 

I was daarn saarf, being dragged around the Bluewater Shopping Centre by Mrs O'T and her mum, looking for bridesmaids' dresses. I was just about to lose the last shred of my will to live when that intro floated through the tannoy and suddenly everything was right with the world.

Just now, AngryOfTuebrook said:

One of the few songs where I can remember what I was doing when I first heard it. 

I was daarn saarf, being dragged around the Bluewater Shopping Centre by Mrs O'T and her mum, looking for bridesmaids' dresses. I was just about to lose the last shred of my will to live when that intro floated through the tannoy and suddenly everything was right with the world.

Imo it really is something special, especially coming from an artist such as her. Glorious.

12 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Billy's performance of that song,with friends,at the tribute concert to George was superb. 

I was in that top tier standing area at the Albert hall that night. What a fucking night (and week, had been in Holland earlier to watch the reds, went back Saturday morning, another day in Amsterdam as my mates stayed and flew back to speke on the Sunday before playing Salford United)

• Upvote 1