You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

13 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

You're right, I'm going to listen to someone current.

*Checks this week's album chart number one*

Steps.

Beatles it is! 

Bananarama released a song recently and it was actually decent. 

Tears For Fears and all. 

There is plenty of good music about if you can be arsed to look for it. It's certainly not at number one in the charts either.

People will always listen to & talk about The Beatles though. I'll be interested too hear the Revolver box although I've discovered in the last few years I'm not really a Beatles fanatic, one listen to the remix/outtakes & I'm happy.

These big box sets are designed & priced for old men with too much spare time & money.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Jimmy Hills Chin said:

60 years today, what a fucking band! I'm at the Cavern most Saturdays and the age group is so diverse, it's incredible. Most of the people there weren't even born before they split up but still it's packed every week. 'Talent will out' as they say.

Haven't been the cavern for years. Used to love it when I was first out boozing in the late 80s, but I came home covered in piss most nights, it was fucking disgusting in there. 

7 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Haven't been the cavern for years. Used to love it when I was first out boozing in the late 80s, but I came home covered in piss most nights, it was fucking disgusting in there. 

It's changed a lot since then. I'm only there on the Saturday afternoons but it's chocker in there and the atmosphere is brilliant. No bellends (except for me) seems to be a general rule.  

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Did you get that urinary tract infection sorted?

sadly it would seem that was the issue with the drains in the cavern! you used to have to literally wade through piss to go to the toilet, but because it was stone floored, it just ran through into the club. the floor was wet everywhere and very little was drink. or at least drink before it had been processed! 

I go through phases of listening to them nonstop for months then going off them again. I'm back in a listening phase and picking up the guitar to learn or re-learn some tracks. This week I've been playing all these and really enjoying it. 

In My Life

Yellow Submarine 

Lady Madonna 

Norwegian Wood

For You Blue

Something

Yesterday

Hey Jude

Come Together 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, johnsusername said:

Of course George Harrison is a great songwriter. What a ridiculous argument.

Man writes great songs = great songwriter. 

That wasn't actually the debate though.

While My Guitar Gently Weeps is a great song though, I'd imagine the majority would agree on that point.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

I go through phases of listening to them nonstop for months then going off them again. I'm back in a listening phase and picking up the guitar to learn or re-learn some tracks. This week I've been playing all these and really enjoying it. 

In My Life

Yellow Submarine 

Lady Madonna 

Norwegian Wood

For You Blue

Something

Yesterday

Hey Jude

Come Together 

Here Comes the Sun is easy - get on it.

George

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

sadly it would seem that was the issue with the drains in the cavern! you used to have to literally wade through piss to go to the toilet, but because it was stone floored, it just ran through into the club. the floor was wet everywhere and very little was drink. or at least drink before it had been processed! 

Sweat used to drip off the ceiling as well.  At least I assume it was sweat.

It stunk in there even over the smell of booze and smoke.  Was good though.

7 hours ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

In My Life

Yellow Submarine 

Lady Madonna 

Norwegian Wood

For You Blue

Something

Yesterday

Hey Jude

Come Together 

In my life is a great song and both the opening and closing phrases/riffs are superb. Its not to difficult to play (averagely!) either.

• Upvote 1

I play music every day, in the car, at home, wherever, I never think to myself "I must put The Beatles on", but if someone else puts them on I would listen and think (mostly) "thats good that"....maybe its a familiarity/contempt thing I dont know, but you can never underestimate their contribution and the reverence for them from people you wouldnt imagine. I went to the Black Sabbath exhibition a couple of years ago in Birmingham, and when talking about what got him into music with Osbourne and Butler it was The Beatles. Gene Simmons from Kiss has been banging on about them for years, I read an interview with him a couple of weeks ago where he said he would like Kiss last gig to be at The Cavern. I'm no Kiss fan not at all, but he talks of them as "the template" for music going forward. Maybe I would have understood their impact more if was older and heard them more, on the other hand maybe I would have preferred the Stones....but they left a legacy.