You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

56 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

How so? I think they were complaining about the super tax they were paying which, I think but am not totally sure, was about 95pence on every pound they were earning, plus Harrison knew a lot of that money was being spent on arms/military. 

It was allegedly very high but I imagine there were plenty of loopholes back then too. And back then those high taxes allowed people to have more spending money and many spent it on Beatles records. 

1 hour ago, johnsusername said:

How so? I think they were complaining about the super tax they were paying which, I think but am not totally sure, was about 95pence on every pound they were earning, plus Harrison knew a lot of that money was being spent on arms/military. 

A rich man complaining about paying tax. Can’t get much more Tory than that.

12 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

A rich man complaining about paying tax. Can’t get much more Tory than that.

Liverpool was often a Conservative city in the 20th century, until the early 1970s. Different times. 

Anyway. I was hoping that there'd be a acoustic or piano version of Eleanor Rigby, but it's not to be. I'm guessing one no longer exists, if one ever did?

Also, I've always thought imagine if they'd swapped Dr Robert for Rain and/or Paperback Writer. 

Giving discs 2 and 3 a listen now, the Yellow Submarine development is excellent - a lot like emergence of Get Back in Peter Jackson's film.

Originally I always though it was a John song, but McDonald (Revolution in the Head) stated it was a McCartney song - whilst these tracks show us it was mostly a John song, with Paul contributions, probably 60:40 I think.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wanted to buy Get Back on DVD for my father in law but they only have Blu-Ray in HMV. Looked on Amazon but don't know if this is a legit seller, some banter about it being Region 1 and other stuff about the packaging being crap.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beatles-Get-Back-John-Lennon/dp/B0B1JG7S4X/ref=sr_1_2?crid=F3PG0TA8M0AX&keywords=get+back&qid=1669130040&s=dvd&sprefix=get+back%2Cdvd%2C62&sr=1-2

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

Wanted to buy Get Back on DVD for my father in law but they only have Blu-Ray in HMV. Looked on Amazon but don't know if this is a legit seller, some banter about it being Region 1 and other stuff about the packaging being crap.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beatles-Get-Back-John-Lennon/dp/B0B1JG7S4X/ref=sr_1_2?crid=F3PG0TA8M0AX&keywords=get+back&qid=1669130040&s=dvd&sprefix=get+back%2Cdvd%2C62&sr=1-2

The packaging on the DVD is really minimal, it'll be sound I think. Lots of UK reviews there so it'll be Region 2.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Only just sitting down and watching the documentary and going through the comments on here. 

Plenty of good moments of them appearing to still get on and looking like they could go on for years. But George stands out as the one that had just had enough. He was increasingly coming into his own as a songwriter and likely pissed off getting one sing on a album. Aside from getting to do your own stuff the money side of things would piss you off. 

Felt like had they agreed earlier to put the bestles on hold to meet up again 3-5  years later they could have carried on. Especially had they brought Billy Preston on board as a 5th member. They looked far more comfortable together with him there

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 24/10/2022 at 23:17, johnsusername said:

Yep, been on the National Trust tour to Forthlin and Menlove, it was really good. And I've took people I know on my own tours - the homes, Strawberry Fields, Penny Lane, the Cavern, Garston chippy etc. 

Yes the NT tour I went on was brilliant. I’m not a local though. The guide who showed us round John’s house knew people who knew them and had lots of interesting stories. Then we moved onto Paul’s and the guide was the wife of the first guide. 
They try and be really respectful of the neighbours and Yoko is still involved and they send her copies of the visitor book comments.

The reason they might seem closed a lot is because they’re only opened about 3 days a week and only about 4 tours a day that have to be booked in advance. We had to meet at the Jury’s Inn and then taken by minibus.

13 minutes ago, Jennings said:

That's ace! But George & Ringo look like the Gibb brothers. If you put Staying alive over the video it would like Paul & John had joined the BeeGees.

Haha they do actually. Maybe he reuses them for a BeeGees version. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...