You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

PODCAST: Liverpool 3 Sheffield United 1 - Match Reaction

The Reds returned to the top of the table after a 3-1 win over bottom club Sheffield United, but it was considerably more stressful than it needed to be and it needed a late thunderbolt from Alexis Mac Allister to break the deadlock before Cody Gakpo wrapped it up in stoppage time.

TLW Editor Dave Usher is joined by Julian Richards and Paul Natton to reflect on the night's action as well as to discuss the ongoing manager search and preview the huge game at Old Trafford this Sunday.

View full article

• Upvote 3

• dave u pinned this topic

The shout that Trent should come back in and start ahead of any of the midfielders including Szoboszlai is absolutely wild.  It’s like people have a lobotomy when it comes to him.  He’s been absolutely shocking for most of the season and has the potential to completely derail the title run in.  Just having Bradley running up and down the line with some intent has transformed the team.  Trents effort makes Rashford look like Kuyt.

As to why Elliott doesn't start in favour of Gravenberch, it's probably height. Especially against this sort of team, you have to defend set pieces.

Half the reason Gravenberch is rated is because he's one of those "technically gifted for a big man" players and it's a trend right now to favour tall players. City and Arsenal are also trying to be as tall as possible, with all the CB's.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, dave u said:

That's one way of looking at it. A completely batshit mental way, but a way nonetheless!

If any of that was true Klopp would never pick him at all. 

He hasn't picked him as a midfielder very often. Thankfully.

Good chat.  I can empathise with Dave about Alonso.  It’s as if Volderman had left him and then that girl he always fancied in school and has just had a divorce rejected him too. Crushing.  

1 hour ago, dave u said:

That's one way of looking at it. A completely batshit mental way, but a way nonetheless!

If any of that was true Klopp would never pick him at all. 

Even that wild take has an element of truth to it. I wouldn't put him in the team instead of Bradley at the moment and the only midfielder he'd replace is Dom on current form. For the overall benefit of the team, give me Endo, Curtis and Macca in ahead of Trent if they're fit. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, The Guest said:

The shout that Trent should come back in and start ahead of any of the midfielders including Szoboszlai is absolutely wild.  It’s like people have a lobotomy when it comes to him.  He’s been absolutely shocking for most of the season and has the potential to completely derail the title run in.  Just having Bradley running up and down the line with some intent has transformed the team.  Trents effort makes Rashford look like Kuyt.

Deffo an element of truth.

Enjoyed the podcast again thanks fellas.  I don't get to listen as often, or as quickly, these days but always enjoy.

"shocking for most of the season"

"potential to derail the title run in"

"makes Rashford look like Dirk Kuyt"

It's either absolute nonsense or wildly exaggerated. 

All three of us said he shouldn't just come in at the expense of Bradley and that it's a big dilemma for Klopp what to do with him, but none of that makes any of the above true. I mean, we were top or thereabouts when he was playing.

I don't know where he's going to play but I'm pretty sure Trent isn't spending the rest of the season on the bench.

21 minutes ago, dave u said:

All three of us said he shouldn't just come in at the expense of Bradley and that it's a big dilemma for Klopp what to do with him, but none of that makes any of the above true. I mean, we were top or thereabouts when he was playing.

I don't know where he's going to play but I'm pretty sure Trent isn't spending the rest of the season on the bench.

I don't know whether any of you said that, but the poster objecting to him coming back in for ANY of the midfield was rightly pushed back on. Fuck that. Endo's been amazing and Macca is now a contender for our player of the season.

32 minutes ago, Chris said:

I don't know whether any of you said that, but the poster objecting to him coming back in for ANY of the midfield was rightly pushed back on. Fuck that. Endo's been amazing and Macca is now a contender for our player of the season.

All three of us on the pod said Macca and Endo are automatic choices so Trent would have to compete with the others for playing time in the other spot, assuming he's not in the team at right back.

I don't disagree with anything that's been said about it in this thread other than in the first reply which was completely over the top, specifically the bits I picked out and quoted.

None of us think he should just walk back in and take Bradley's place or be guaranteed a midfield spot, but I think we all think he's too good to not be playing and we all think Klopp is going to put him back in there.  Fitness permitting Trent will be on the pitch far more than he isn't in this run in.

I was getting loads of shit the other week for suggesting that Trent might not get picked for a cup final but this is what I was talking about.

I agree that Klopp will find a way because he’s too good not to be playing but it’s a pretty big dilemma about how you do it.

42 minutes ago, Brownie said:

I was getting loads of shit the other week for suggesting that Trent might not get picked for a cup final but this is what I was talking about.

I agree that Klopp will find a way because he’s too good not to be playing but it’s a pretty big dilemma about how you do it.

I agree it's a dilemma and I'm glad I don't have to pick the team.

He would get picked for a cup final though. 

1 hour ago, dave u said:

I agree it's a dilemma and I'm glad I don't have to pick the team.

He would get picked for a cup final though. 

When fully fit and in a rhythm defo but that wasn’t the case ahead of the Carabao Cup Final and it isn’t the case now.

I think he’s in a place where he needs to come off the bench and impact games to force his way into the team.

I have no doubt that he will.

I think a few signs of fatigue are just about coming into Bradley's game. Soon enough it might be for the best if we bring Trent back in. Still think he'll get plenty of time. 

• Upvote 2

Not that Ive listened to the podcast, but Trent should come back in when fit. I could list several reasons, but the main one is his ability to switch play and all the positives that comes with it. 

This makes it much more difficult for our opposition to crowd our most important attacking players and we dont become so narrow. It help us speed up our tempo and especially Salah, Nunez and Diaz all get more of a chance to get the best out of their abilities with Trent on the pitch as they will find themselves in situations with more space to exploit more than when Trent is not playing.

• Upvote 4

Another top episode of the pod - the new manager chat especially. Thought the point Jules made about modern managers not having a great body of work because so many are sacked so quickly these days,

and therefore not being appealing candidates for jobs at big clubs like Liverpool, was really smart and really spot on. 

One totally separate thing to pick up on - the United-Liverpool game that was at 3pm on a Saturday and therefore not show on the telly was the Danny Murphy penalty game in April 2004, the third of the three games in which he won it for us at Old Trafford, after the free-kick game in December 2001 and the lob game in January 2002. I know because I was there - my first time seeing us play at OT and it turned out to be some Saturday afternoon. #happyfuckingdays

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, JeanMichelFerriacrosstheMersey said:

Another top episode of the pod - the new manager chat especially. Thought the point Jules made about modern managers not having a great body of work because so many are sacked so quickly these days,

and therefore not being appealing candidates for jobs at big clubs like Liverpool, was really smart and really spot on. 

One totally separate thing to pick up on - the United-Liverpool game that was at 3pm on a Saturday and therefore not show on the telly was the Danny Murphy penalty game in April 2004, the third of the three games in which he won it for us at Old Trafford, after the free-kick game in December 2001 and the lob game in January 2002. I know because I was there - my first time seeing us play at OT and it turned out to be some Saturday afternoon. #happyfuckingdays

The free-kick game was actually December 2000. 

I’ll stop going on about this now. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, dave u said:

Maybe the rashford one was a bit harsh.

He 100% has the potential to do derail the season though.  Fully match fit he was walking around the pitch in the weeks before his injury.  We just can’t afford that in any position on the pitch.  Bradley has shown what an actual functioning right back that gets to both bylines provides us.  When Trents on it offensively he’s great but he hasn’t been that pretty much all season and when you add that to how horrific he is out of possession then you can’t be just bringing him back in.

Paul said he would he would have him as the third midfielder.  The idea that you just get him in the team in midfield because he’s too good not to be is the most England manager style nonsense going.  It reminds me of that time they shoe horned Rooney into midfield.  It’s the most important 10 or so games in the clubs recent history coming up and he’s played in midfield a handful of times and coming back from an injury.  It’s absolutely insane to suggest playing him in front of any of the midfielders.  It’s far too much of a risk.

Klopps whole ethos has been about the team and not individuals.  Trents attitude has stunk the place out pretty much all season.  Even more so than usual.  Personally I think he’s going to bring him back in at right back.  We are just lucky the United game has come up before he’s fully fit.

The podcast was great as usual by the way.  I think I’m just more inclined to discuss the bits I disagree with.  I feel exactly the same on all the stuff about the management situation.  The 3 at the back stuff is such a massive red flag.  It won’t suit us at all and not a lot of managers do it so if does go wrong we are 100% more likely to then follow it up with a manager who doesn’t do it and we could end up like United fairly quickly.  It’s reaching the point for me where I think they need to go back to Lijnders 

• Upvote 1

• dave u unpinned this topic