You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arsenal 3 Liverpool 1 (Feb 4 2024)

The highs are high and the lows are low with this team, been like that for years. When we're good, either playing great football or simply grinding out result after result, we look the real deal, but when we can't be arsed we really, really can't fucking be arsed. 

Can't remember many times when we've been unlucky or narrowly beaten or I've come away thinking it was hard lines, when we do lose, we're seriously fucking shit.

The only positive I took from it was that generally you can go away to Arsenal, play well and still get beat. So if that was us throwing a stinker in, it wasn’t the worst game to do it rather than potentially having a repeat of the Leicester scenario from a few years ok. Its a big IF though 

They're allowed to throw in a stinker every now and then. It's not the players fault that the whole premise of trying to win a league title has been skewed by City's cheating. This sort of result or performance was standard for a team in normal times.

• Upvote 1

We don’t generally have games where there’s absolutely no one to blame but ourselves from top to bottom, but this was one.

Like others, I thought the complacency and slow starts shown in earlier games this season might have gone and we were beginning to look as though we could match City toe to toe, but then this clusterfuck happens and you wonder.

I hate having to think it’s going to have to be a City fuck up to enable us to triumph, even if we are faultless from now on, but that’s where we’re at now.

Almost unbelievable, as Dave points out, that you can lose 2 or 3 games and think you’re out of the race. 
Taylor is still a sneaky biased twat though, at least there’s consistency there even if it didn’t directly cost us the result!

On 05/02/2024 at 15:30, sir roger said:

The xg was 3.52 to 0.41, sums it up really, and not sure why the ref is even getting mentioned.

Konate was a bit unlucky with the first yellow  but he regularly does that ' arm around their neck /chest and throw them down ' move when he is tussling for the ball, and it looks over-aggressive.

That’s an outrageous take, if you look at the blatant diving from Havertz on both yellows. Gabriel, Saliba and White got away with much more aggression. 

Taylor wasn’t the reason we lost, but a contributing factor to them gaining momentum.

A lot of the referees are very poor, but they seem to be turning into a comfort blanket on here. Every single team's fans in the league hasve referees they are convinced is biased against them. The squeals from here if we had not been given either of those Chelsea penalties would have drowned the pod out.

Arsenal’s spirit was broken by it and the place went completely flat. They must have been thinking ‘here we go again’ and the way the second half started I felt confident that we’d go on and win.

This is the thing.. I know we were bad, but if that mistake between Virg and Ali doesn't happen i genuinely think we either nick it or the game peters out to a 1-1. The goal before half time had completely killed them and they were no threat at all that second half before they were gifted the goal.

And i totally agree re Harvey. I love him. His work rate, desire and he's got loads of talent. But i always have this nagging thought at the back of my mind that he's just not dynamic to be a midfielder for Liverpool. It's so disheartening seeing him scamper around while the opposition just pass it round him, totally bypassing the press.

11 hours ago, terry symes said:

And i totally agree re Harvey. I love him. His work rate, desire and he's got loads of talent. But i always have this nagging thought at the back of my mind that he's just not dynamic to be a midfielder for Liverpool. It's so disheartening seeing him scamper around while the opposition just pass it round him, totally bypassing the press.

His time could very well come under a new manager playing a different style of football. Xabi could be brilliant for him. 

• dave u unpinned this topic