You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Newcastle (H) - Mon 1st Jan 2024 (8:00pm)

Trumo

I thought the Jota pen was very soft in real time, but haven’t watched it again to see what contact there was.

So I can see why people like me who don’t know what they are talking about are complaining about it.

Also, has there ever been a more frustrating player than Darwin?
If his finishing was just up to scratch he’d be so good. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

45 minutes ago, Mook said:

I assume you have a link to a quote from someone at the club which backs this up?

Not that I'm particularly arsed either way,  most of our scouts & coaches probably get paid more in a week than I do in a year, I'd be expecting them to look at every possible variable they can before spending £65m on a player. 

A huge part of buying players is statistical algorithms which are proprietary to clubs. No one would ever come out and give specifics, why would they, but forecasting how many goals he would score and create is obviously one of the main things they would have looked at, because he is a forward and that's what they are paid to do. Expected goals is basically a simplified version of this sort of thing that is available to the public. 

The remaining hope for him is his per 90 goal+assist and xG stuff anyway, its certainly not the real goals he is scoring. 

2 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

I thought the Jota pen was very soft in real time, but haven’t watched it again to see what contact there was.

So I can see why people like me who don’t know what they are talking about are complaining about it.

Also, has there ever been a more frustrating player than Darwin?
If his finishing was just up to scratch he’d be so good. 

Nunez got on my tits tonight. I realised when he was one-on-one with the keeper I was 100% certain he'd miss. Which is a sad state of affairs for a striker.

Thought Dubravka did really well for the Nunez one on one. He was out like a shot to close the space. All told, Nunez had a good game against an inspired keeper. He can join a long line of keepers who have had worldies at Anfield. The 2 flatters Newcastle and on a different day, we are looking at a drubbing. Top of the league. Let's just enjoy it.

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, rubble-rouser said:

I’d put Diaz there. He played there a bit in his first year and looked good. I think he can go inside or outside from there - not sure the others can.

Agree, he can definately play there. As you say, he can go either side of the full back and cause lots of problems. With Elliott you get a different option, which maybe would require Trent to play wider. Especially as Szoboszlai’s intelligent running into the wide spaces probably will be missing for a while. What you get with Elliott is cutting inside and supplying dangerous crosses, little through balls or shots with his left. Play him there and he’ll deliver assists, but probably wont be as mobile and direct as Diaz.

We have the options imo, biggest issue is too many games with a limited squad size the next few weeks.

Cunt of a job getting home tonight.  I walked to my usual bus stop on Walton Road, to find out there were no buses running* and I had to walk up to Kirkdale Station to get a train instead.

*Isn't privatisation wonderful!

56 minutes ago, Moo said:

I think Jota probably does exaggerate the fall, call it a dive if you like. But so what? He was clearly fouled and it was a clear pen, and these days we constantly hear that players are entitled to go down if there's contact (never mind contact which the attacker has initiated, clearly not the case here).  Does this unwritten "rule"  (and it's shrugs of acceptance indeed in some cases applauded) not apply to Liverpool players? Funny that, another one of those different rules we seem to have to play by.

It mostly applies to those honest as the day is long Ingerlish players and mancs...

50 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

Thought Dubravka did really well for the Nunez one on one. He was out like a shot to close the space. All told, Nunez had a good game against an inspired keeper. He can join a long line of keepers who have had worldies at Anfield. The 2 flatters Newcastle and on a different day, we are looking at a drubbing. Top of the league. Let's just enjoy it.

Yeah, we were talking about that save at half time. I said at the time, I thought if Nunez got another he'd try to go round him. It seems Jota was watching sharply (or listening to me haha) and did just that. It looked from where I was though there wasn't much contact there, if any. 

I enjoyed that performance though. They'd come to shithouse it, but just weren't good enough to do so and we battered them into submission. Some decent performances out there too. I though it was the best showing from Diaz for a while, although he was far from his best still. Gomez again was very good at left back. Dom was good in fits and starts - fingers crossed his hammy isn't blown. Jota looked really sharp off the bench. Mo got 2 and should have had a hatrick. Nunez was a handful. And best of all for me was Jones. If he could just now and again release the ball a bit quicker, we will have some player there. I really hope he stays fit, because he can make a real difference in this run at the title. 

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, joe_fishfish said:

Also that Jota pen, that's a bit embarrassing. Didn't need to dive. There was contact, yeah, but it was a dive.

Unlike the incident involving the solid pro Sean Longstaff.  Clear pen, and not a predictable body movement across the opposition player as you go to ground.

Copyright Edward "Nice Guy Eddie" Howe.

Up the Toon!  Barmy army [clap, clap]!  Barmy army!

2 hours ago, Anubis said:

He should take a leaf out of Roggo’s book and throw the Sunbed King under a bus.

But who would he get a rub down off after the game?

28 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Gomez, Endo, Jones, Salah and Jota were excellent.  Everyone else ranged from decent to should-do-better. Still, despite a couple of collective brainfarts and a missed pen, we had far too much for the Geordie bellends.

I think Trent's first half performance was unreal.  Fell off second half, admittedly, but some of those passes seemed impossible to make.  What a player.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Pidge said:

Anything been said about Szoboszlai?  Was holding his hamstring as he went off. His passing wasn't great today, but the work he put in and his running with the ball were great. Was thinking he'd be the guy to go out right with Salah away, but now I'm a bit concerned.

personally, I think the physicality of the Prem, and the fact he’s been over-played (Endo really only getting used regularly now, plus macca injury) has caught up with him, and frankly, this injury has been coming. He’s looked stuffed at 60 minutes in every game he’s started recently.

Oh well, Grav needs to step up now, as will others

5 hours ago, Rushies tash said:

Thats not the way it works with the Sky generation miserable bastards on here.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

A huge part of buying players is statistical algorithms which are proprietary to clubs. No one would ever come out and give specifics, why would they, but forecasting how many goals he would score and create is obviously one of the main things they would have looked at, because he is a forward and that's what they are paid to do. Expected goals is basically a simplified version of this sort of thing that is available to the public. 

The remaining hope for him is his per 90 goal+assist and xG stuff anyway, its certainly not the real goals he is scoring. 

So 'No' then.

Thanks.

• Upvote 2

If the Jota pen is given against us then we would be generally of a different mindset and be calling the opponent out for diving.

It wasn’t enough for him to go down - he stayed on his feet and chose to fall once the ball was overrun and the 2 covering defenders reached the goal line. 

The whole “he was in his right to go

down” narrative the commentators push these days, shearer being a main one of them, is an embarrassing look for them now slamming Jota, but they all talk fucking shite, so couldn’t care less.

Never understood this aspect of football since I was over the age of about 20. I get it’s tribal and you back your team, but football fans are bizarre how they can defend their own player and slam others for the same things. Most of the players would just as easily be at a rival of ours and just because they deem our club to be a fitting place to ply their trade we have to bend our thoughts and beliefs in a blinkered manner to defend them about stuff we criticise players at other clubs who could also as easily be at us.

He chose to go down and could have stayed up. There was contact - not enough to send him tumbling, but contact, and in this day and age that’s enough now, which in itself is shite anyway. To argue that is as bizarre as shearer et al saying they have the right to go down one week, and then criticising someone for it the next.

• Upvote 1

Best thing about last night and the last few games is that there seems to be a steady improvement in performance levels, getting better each game. That hopefully bodes well for the next few months. 

We were getting results but playing shit most of the year

16 minutes ago, Curly said:

If the Jota pen is given against us then we would be generally of a different mindset and be calling the opponent out for diving.

It wasn’t enough for him to go down - he stayed on his feet and chose to fall once the ball was overrun and the 2 covering defenders reached the goal line. 

The whole “he was in his right to go

down” narrative the commentators push these days, shearer being a main one of them, is an embarrassing look for them now slamming Jota, but they all talk fucking shite, so couldn’t care less.

Never understood this aspect of football since I was over the age of about 20. I get it’s tribal and you back your team, but football fans are bizarre how they can defend their own player and slam others for the same things. Most of the players would just as easily be at a rival of ours and just because they deem our club to be a fitting place to ply their trade we have to bend our thoughts and beliefs in a blinkered manner to defend them about stuff we criticise players at other clubs who could also as easily be at us.

He chose to go down and could have stayed up. There was contact - not enough to send him tumbling, but contact, and in this day and age that’s enough now, which in itself is shite anyway. To argue that is as bizarre as shearer et al saying they have the right to go down one week, and then criticising someone for it the next.

This is the problem with slo-mo replays. People project whole chunks of thought and motive into them. They run through a range of options, imagine different decisions, then make a conclusion, entirely divorced from how things work in real time and real life. In real time he moved past the keeper and had the chance to score, and the only instinctive thing to do in that nano second was hit the ball. I don't care how 'slight' the touch seems when frozen in a replay. 

• Upvote 4