You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bournemouth (A) - EFL Cup 4th Rnd, Wed 1st Nov 2023 (7:45pm)

Trumo

Work-rate. Incisiveness. Nous.

I don't ask for much.

This is how it's gonna be. Build from the ground up.

The two sides met in this competition at the quarter final stage 9 years ago. This was the period where it was all starting to go pear-shaped for Rodgers, and a young Raheem Sterling was our most consistent goal-threat. That oft-shared Sky stats screenshot of our other forward options (Borini, Balotelli and Lambert) does not make this a surprising statement. Suarez had been sold in the summer, and Sturridge was out with an injury exacerbated by the then-England manager wanting to "test his resolve". Bournemouth would be promoted to the top flight at the end of that season, but the Reds (in yellow) had too much for them. A diving header from Sterling opened the scoring. There was no thinking involved so he couldn't miss, unlike when he overthinks things and misses glaring opportunities. He got a second (and Liverpool's third) in the second half with the sort of goal he has actually always been good at, running at a retreating defender, getting a yard of space and firing low into the corner. In between, Markovic (remember him?) fired a crisp effort from the edge of the area with the sort of conviction almost entirely lacking from him during his ill-fated Reds stint. Bournemouth got a late goal back though Gosling and also hit the post, but it was comfortable enough for Liverpool to make it through to the semis. That would be the end of the League Cup run that year.

Bournemouth got their first league win of the season at the weekend against Burnley in a match that had a lengthy VAR check for an offside check thanks to another fucking shambles from the clowns at Stockley Park. Obviously the Cherries are down near the bottom, but I've very little idea of how they have been playing generally. Last year, Gary O'Neil had got a Championship-level squad performing above themselves and comfortably safe, but the chairman sacked him in favour of the latest random foreign coach decked out in Steve Jobs' wardrobe. I've no idea if they will look to prioritise the league and treat this game as a free hit, or give it the full beans in the hope it brings them some momentum.

For us, I'd expect Jurgen to go with a similar side to the ones he has been using in the cups this season. No Robbo, Thiago, Baj or Doaky due to injury, and I doubt Lucho will be involved due to personal turmoil. I'm hoping that long before this game, his father (and any others caught up in this kidnapping) is found safe and well. Whatever the line-up, approach this game with the right attitude, application and concentration from beginning to end. The more we progress in the cups, the more experience we can give to the younger players. Get it done!

• Upvote 12

How badly injured is Doak?

2 minutes ago, an tha said:

Kelleher

Gomez

Matip

Quansah

Chambers

Endo

Jones

Gravenberch

Elliott

Jota

Gakpo

Thats more or less what I'd go for but Gravenberch is getting played quite a bit. Could McConnell do a job?

I wish Doak and Bajectic weren't injured for these games. 

11 minutes ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

How badly injured is Doak?

Thats more or less what I'd go for but Gravenberch is getting played quite a bit. Could McConnell do a job?

I wish Doak and Bajectic weren't injured for these games. 

Yeah having these lads injured is a pain.

Not sure about Doak and the Diaz situation means our options are reduced further too...

Feel Grav could be ok for this and then maybe miss league game as Jones will be available again weekend....

We could probably get away with some kids to be fair - as bournemouth are in all sorts of trouble and are garbage and will no doubt play a really weakened team.

• Upvote 1

Only three of the Bournemouth starting eleven against Burnley at the weekend, played in the 3rd round of the EFL cup v Stoke, including the goalkeeper.

Maybe because he was confident of beating Stoke at home with a much changed side, or he is using the competition to assess his squad. I think he will make changes. 

I think it will be:

Kelleher

Gomez Matip Quansah Chambers

Gravenberch Endo Jones

Elliott Nunez Gakpo

Tsimikas looked (even more than usual) wrecked on Sunday. He played the 2 internationals also, and isn't used to playing this often. Maybe Trent will replace Chambers and Gomez to spend a half hour at LB.

Salah and Doak to replace Darwin and whoever will start on Sunday (Jones or Gravenberch). 

Bournemouth have 7 players out either injured or cup tied. They are near the bottom of the league so PL survival will be more important. 

With Man City out and Newcastle/Man Utd playing each other as well as Arsenal/West Ham we have a good opportunity to win this. Chelsea always seem to get home draws against Lower league opposition. 

Port Vale at home please if we win this.