You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dodged a bullet with Moises Caicedo / Code says he's bang average

an tha

19 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

When did Poch sign up - end of May? I wouldn't think a player would be that committed until he knew who the new manager would be. So presumably talks started getting serious in June/July. I believe we first registered our interest long before that, and we were the ones with a fairly settled regime. I don't much care either way at this stage, but I'm pretty sick of all this self-flagellation on our side among the fans. They want us to sign good players but any kind of set-back has them all hugging themselves weeping and claiming we've been humiliated. It's the fecking transfer market.

There was no "self flagellation" in my post.

Just an acknowledgement of what is a pretty nailed on point that he will have been talking with Chelsea and Chelsea with him/his people for a good while, and that is difficult (not impossible mind) to overcome. He has probably already seen himself living in London/Surrey - probably sold idea to his wife/girlfriend etc....

He will have been sold Chelsea even before the new manager. And of course i am sure he has been given a good idea of the big wage he will get.

But also we do forget at times footballers as much as they are pampered and out of touch are still people with lives - if he has been thinking London/Surrey and Chelsea for months and planned around that - it is understandable he may feel a bit jolted by a sudden change.

5 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I'll be made up on the playing side if he signs, but a 21 year old who has already effectively gone on strike twice and apparently has more agents than SHIELD promises problems down the line.

Lavia and Inacio for me, Clive, with Andre in January.

The problem down the line would be making sure Real Madrid cough up the right fee - and IMO whether he comes to us or goes Chelsea that problem will be a reality within 3 years.

12 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I'll be made up on the playing side if he signs, but a 21 year old who has already effectively gone on strike twice and apparently has more agents than SHIELD promises problems down the line.

Lavia and Inacio for me, Clive, with Andre in January.

Is this the first ‘phew we were lucky to swerve that one’ post?

We must have our own time table when to withdraw as we have other deals lined up.  Maybe it's to our advantage to keep the offer open as it makes us look like we have limited budget to work with as we work on other deals and then when we are done just pull the deal if Chelsea still haven't mustered the money up.

Just now, Captain Willard said:

The bookies have him odds on going to Chelsea. They’ve got paid inside information normally and are rarely wrong, too much money at stake. 

We were 1/10 overnight. They just react to bets and news. We were 11/4 on Sky Bet a couple of hours ago and are now 7/4. They know as much as we do. I'd say, at the moment, nobody knows for definite where he will end up 

2 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

The bookies have him odds on going to Chelsea. They’ve got paid inside information normally and are rarely wrong, too much money at stake. 

Just now, Razoray said:

We were 1/10 overnight. They just react to bets and news. We were 11/4 on Sky Bet a couple of hours ago and are now 7/4. They know as much as we do. I'd say, at the moment, nobody knows for definite where he will end up 

Yep, they just set the odds according to the amount of money that's been placed, nothing to do with getting insider info.

Leave the money slapped on the table, Everton for James Rodriguez-style - worst case scenario is it fucks Chelsea over even more. They're already having to raid the club shop guide dog donation box and flog half their first team squad, whilst simultaneously having to pull out of the Tyler Adams deal post-medical just to scrape together a bid that's not gone in yet and still sounds lower than ours. As long as it's there it's forcing them to keep doing stupid shit.

And if he comes here after all this? Can't say I'm that arsed about it. I smell agent fuckery anyway. 15 minutes at Kirkby with Jurgen and he'll be dropping his cunt advisors off the nearest bridge.

7 minutes ago, Manny said:

Leave the money slapped on the table, Everton for James Rodriguez-style - worst case scenario is it fucks Chelsea over even more. They're already having to raid the club shop guide dog donation box and flog half their first team squad, whilst simultaneously having to pull out of the Tyler Adams deal post-medical just to scrape together a bid that's not gone in yet and still sounds lower than ours. As long as it's there it's forcing them to keep doing stupid shit.

And if he comes here after all this? Can't say I'm that arsed about it. I smell agent fuckery anyway. 15 minutes at Kirkby with Jurgen and he'll be dropping his cunt advisors off the nearest bridge.

After the initial optimism was dampened this morning it would feel pretty weird to complete the signing now. Im sure they could spin it but I thought Klopp valued the players actions when deciding on a transfer- cant see him going for this now

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Dave D said:

After the initial optimism was dampened this morning it would feel pretty weird to complete the signing now. Im sure they could spin it but I thought Klopp valued the players actions when deciding on a transfer- cant see him going for this now

Which is why I am surprised we have not pulled the plug IF it's true he has informed us that he wants to go to Chelsea.

This is agent cuntery IMO but let's see how this pans out. I don't care either way tbh. Modern football is bollocks.

• Upvote 1

Worst thing about this is that it gives chelsea fans something they think they can feel smug over.

When I saw that we'd bid I didn't feel arsed either way, I thought it was mental money for what is essentially a kid, especially when we were unwilling to spend it on Bellingham.

All very odd, maybe Henry didn't like the idea of the other yank owner trying to poach one of our targets so decided to do the same in a fit of golfing rivalry style Hamptons hubris. 

The whole thing is very odd, a bit naff and is chum to morons like sky sports news.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

the bookies just react to where the money goes and if anyone knew anything solid, this market would be closed because the only thing that is certain about the bookies is they don't want fucking when someone else is certain. all of these "next club", "new manager" markets are ones were the bookies are at their most vulnerable and half a dozen 20 quid bets is enough to shut down the market. 

I don't get why people were so cock a hoop this morning when all we had done was agree a fee with Brighton. As I had not caught up properly I assumed for a short time that everything was agreed with the player too, just the medical to do.

What was that all about?

Klopp's quotes must have put the brakes on that confidence though, he sounded far from convinced.

Anyway still not over but it's looking highly unlikely.

• dave u changed the title to Dodged a bullet with Moises Caicedo / Code says he's bang average