You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brighton (A) Premier League - 14/1/23 - 15:00

Bjornebye

3 minutes ago, Moo said:

You didn't think we needed to replace Mane? I think you're probably in a minority there.

I've been saying for at least 3 years about the midfield so I'm under no illusions there but would never suggest that we didn't need a replacement for Mane.

Diaz replaced Mane

5 minutes ago, Red74 said:

Diaz replaced Mane

He didn't, he arrived while Mane was still here and they played loads together. But I get why you'd say that.

To put it a different way, would you have been happy going in to this season with Salah, Jota, Firmino, and Diaz for the three forward positions?

1 minute ago, joe_fishfish said:

We could have spent the Nunez money more wisely, imo. Not getting into the Nunez debate here, but if we knew what the budget was and the needs of the squad, we should have been looking at a midfield option as well as a forward.

Oh I don't disagree, but it comes back to budget.

Like I said, we didn't have another Coutinho to cash in on.

7 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

And again this window, if we had only £40m to spend, midfield was a more pressing issue than left wing.

Yeah. The Gakpo thing was a pleasant surprise, but it was very much on the assumption that a midfielder will follow. It makes an awful lot less sense of that doesn’t happen. Wouldn’t be surprised to see an uninspiring Arthur Melo type move. 

Klopp has decided,based on what he knows he has available,that the best form of defence is attack. Its what he did when he arrived so has worked before. As for midfielders,if Liverpool try to buy anybody the selling club double or triple their price and FSG refuse to pay it. Can't blame Klopp under these circumstances,in my opinion.

Mane wanted to leave so that's a moot point IMO, Diaz is boss and is a big loss. Sallah has simply stopped playing. Maybe the Mane rivalry was driving him on but he strangely no longer seems to give a fuck. You can't really pin that on anyone except him.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, the problems mostly begin and end in midfield, the rest is window dressing.

Nunez fluffing the odd chance isn't what led us here, what led us here is that our entire system of playing is built around high octane pressing when we don't have the ball and we no longer have any ability in the middle of the park to do it.

We have a championship level midfield. Going into a match completely outgunned against a club the size of Brighton is proof of how badly that area of the pitch has been neglected.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Code said:

We missed Nunez yesterday, that’s always something. 

We missed him big time.

You’vel been a big Salah defender over the last year. What’s happened to him? It’s sad to watch at this stage. I wouldn’t back him against most defenders in a one-on-one. Seemed to be getting back to his best around the time of the City game. 

2 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

We missed him big time.

You’vel been a big Salah defender over the last year. What’s happened to him? It’s sad to watch at this stage. I wouldn’t back him against most defenders in a one-on-one. Seemed to be getting back to his best around the time of the City game. 

He's isolated without Nunez and the oppos stick two or three men on him. Gakpo was lost yesterday OC was absolutely abysmal again therefore nullifying Salah's threat.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Moo said:

He didn't, he arrived while Mane was still here and they played loads together. But I get why you'd say that.

To put it a different way, would you have been happy going in to this season with Salah, Jota, Firmino, and Diaz for the three forward positions?

If the midfield would have been addressed properly defo. 

33 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

We missed him big time.

Yes we missed him big time, that was my point.

For the first time he’s been out, I missed him.

When it comes to Salah, he need movement around him, yesterday he got the ball mostly in our own half and with his back to their goal.

The last few games we have played I don’t think we have moved and played as a unit. The attack is isolated, the midfield is isolated and the defense is isolated. 

We need to narrow down the space between our lines both going forward and backwards, this is the reason the press is not working. 

It’s a systematic flaw at the moment, but it’s not helped by our pedestrian midfield, but the midfield is not the only reason, we have too many attacking players out injured.

We have built our game around our attackers getting the goals, our midfielders hardly ever contribute, when we miss so many potential goal scorers, it’s obviously affecting our game and the opposition can concentrate on the few we have left. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Mane wanted to leave so that's a moot point IMO, Diaz is boss and is a big loss. Sallah has simply stopped playing. Maybe the Mane rivalry was driving him on but he strangely no longer seems to give a fuck. You can't really pin that on anyone except him.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, the problems mostly begin and end in midfield, the rest is window dressing.

Nunez fluffing the odd chance isn't what led us here, what led us here is that our entire system of playing is built around high octane pressing when we don't have the ball and we no longer have any ability in the middle of the park to do it.

We have a championship level midfield. Going into a match completely outgunned against a club the size of Brighton is proof of how badly that area of the pitch has been neglected.

The parts in bold are spot on, and can not be repeated often enough. 

Only thing I would like to add is that the front three is a vital part of the pressing too. And there may be issues there as well, especially now with all the injuries. But the midfield is the pressing issue and needs to be dealt with.