You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Elden Ring

20 hours ago, skend04 said:

Loving the exploration but some of the boss fights are all over the shop. So uneven in terms of difficulty. Godlike Apostle is kicking my arse in Caelid Tower but then some of the other mini dungeon bosses are taken down in several or less hits. Even within the dungeons themselves you've got a backwards difficulty curve, with the fodder being tougher than the bosses.

Yeah, I feel the same way. Still enjoying the mini dungeons, and there are some tough ones (royal revenant is a dickhead, cheesed that one in the end). I think they might be there to teach different mechanics (watchdogs and dodging, for instance), strategies, enemy types (I'd been avoiding the crystal people until I found them as bosses, for instance), but couldn't even begin to break that down across them all. They're still fun, but it can be a bit disappointing when you rip through one a bit too quickly (like when I accidentally broke the renalla fight).

Haven't been to the bottom of caelid tower yet as I thought I'd need to beat Radahn first. Just now managed to get my weapon to +9 (through luck more than anything, still playing it mainly blind), so no excuses now.

2 hours ago, skend04 said:

Motherfuckers!

I've been pumping points into Int to use Sword of Night & Flame.

This is something that pisses me off with games like this. By the time you get to all the good stuff that everyone else is raving about, they nerf it.

5 hours ago, Pidge said:

Yeah, I feel the same way. Still enjoying the mini dungeons, and there are some tough ones (royal revenant is a dickhead, cheesed that one in the end). I think they might be there to teach different mechanics (watchdogs and dodging, for instance), strategies, enemy types (I'd been avoiding the crystal people until I found them as bosses, for instance), but couldn't even begin to break that down across them all. They're still fun, but it can be a bit disappointing when you rip through one a bit too quickly (like when I accidentally broke the renalla fight).

Haven't been to the bottom of caelid tower yet as I thought I'd need to beat Radahn first. Just now managed to get my weapon to +9 (through luck more than anything, still playing it mainly blind), so no excuses now.

No need to beat Radahn to get to the bottom of the tower. Just find the tower, climb the external ladders and do a bit of jumping over the stonework and you'll get to the lost grace halfway up. From there just work your way down.

23 minutes ago, skend04 said:

No need to beat Radahn to get to the bottom of the tower. Just find the tower, climb the external ladders and do a bit of jumping over the stonework and you'll get to the lost grace halfway up. From there just work your way down.

I got to the grace, went right to the middle, but then decided to wait before going further down.

1 hour ago, Pidge said:

I'm sure it'll still be viable, like the ice axe, it'll just mean having to survive a bit longer, a few more hits. I think they mainly wanted to avoid it being a one-shot in the multiplayer.

Fair point. Reminds me why I don't tend to play this kind of game though. I miss proper single-player games that let you play how you wanted.

42 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Fair point. Reminds me why I don't tend to play this kind of game though. I miss proper single-player games that let you play how you wanted.

They really don't mess around much usually (demon souls remake kept some really overpowered stuff from the original). I think the scale of the project must have led to some blind spots with certain weapons. 

I know the game is meant to be tough and not hold hands but some of the quests are hard as fuck just to find the next step or place to go too. Even things like talking to someone even though they wont answer you keep on until they eventually do. I had to find one guy in limgrave turns out he was in an underworld part standing on some random cliff edge, even then I spoke to him and he said I ain't got a clue ask this other guy.

10 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I know the game is meant to be tough and not hold hands but some of the quests are hard as fuck just to find the next step or place to go too. Even things like talking to someone even though they wont answer you keep on until they eventually do. I had to find one guy in limgrave turns out he was in an underworld part standing on some random cliff edge, even then I spoke to him and he said I ain't got a clue ask this other guy.

Yeah, it's pretty obtuse. Reminds me of playing Morrowind all those years ago. Sat with a notepad and pencil to keep track of things.

42 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Yeah, it's pretty obtuse. Reminds me of playing Morrowind all those years ago. Sat with a notepad and pencil to keep track of things.

That is what puts me off. I struggle to remember quests on a game that I play regularly, have a break and then jump back into. No way I could play a game where I have to remember all the quests/story

3 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

Cunts the lot of 'em.

Another reason I can't get this game, it'll wreck my brain.

Hah, think that's just a shortcut that was taken out, but they tried to save time coding it out. They just gave the wall a high HP value, rather than make it permanent.

Plus that one doesn't even save any time.

1 minute ago, Elite said:

Not the most powerful but the whip is great fun. 

Nice, I saw earlier that there's also an Ash of War that makes you roll around like the sheep. Might be a fun build. 

Need to level up my absurdity.

1 hour ago, Pidge said:

Nice, I saw earlier that there's also an Ash of War that makes you roll around like the sheep. Might be a fun build. 

Need to level up my absurdity.

Those rolling sheep are hilarious. Even more absurd than birds with swords as talons.