You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Has any one ever...? Tell us about it.

Carvalho Diablo

On 16/11/2021 at 08:41, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Has anyone ever... been on the telly?

Was on some true crime show years ago on CBS talking about a case I'd covered in my local rag days, was horrendous, the lights were so hot that I kept licking my lips between answers,  Jabba the Hutt style. Deffo a face for radio.

On 16/11/2021 at 18:41, Captain Willard said:

Been on sky news morning show. The funny thing is before you go on they send a car to your house to pick you up, there’s a green room with posh pastries and fancy coffee  nothing is too much trouble then as soon as you’re done, no one gives a fuck anymore and you’re  bundled out the studio pretty sharpish. Within 5 minutes of coming off air, I was waiting at the bus stop outside. Rang Mrs Willard to come and get me and she said she’d both forgetten to watch and record it. Never got asked back. 

What were they interviewing you about?

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

Has anyone ever...known someone who committed suicide?

Sadly a few.

The most notable was my best friend growing up. We were born on the same day on the same delivery ward and our mothers became friends and we were always ‘encouraged’ to grow up together, have parties together etc, even though we were very different people.

I love and miss him though we went in very different directions.

He lost access to his child aged 29/30, mainly through being in and out or prison and being dependant on drugs, and bought as many drugs as he could get his hands on and took them all as he ran an exhaust pipe through the car window he was sat in.

Life fucked him over and I’m sad and sorry that he never truly understood that.

• Upvote 8

8 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Yes unfortunately. 

The one that hurts the most is my mate Andy Supria. Played footy against his school a few times in primary school and he was always a superb player. Young Brazilian lad from a half scouse half Brazilian family (My mum worked with his Dad in the hospital years before I knew him) and I ended up in the same class as him in senior school. Always one of the top sets, clever lad, cracking footballer, never a "lad" but funny, sound and a pleasure to be around. I joined the Navy at 17, lost touch with him. Got a call off a mutual good mate a few years later and he had sat in-front of a train at Prescot station. Never ever would have thought he had any demons. Breaks my heart to this day because he was a genuine star of a human being, no spite about him, very clever, brilliant sportsman etc. 

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Not an actual suicide, but I knew a lad who took an overdose once. He had to have his stomach pumped. It wasn't a genuine suicide attempt though, more a cry for help.

I know this because he told someone he didn't want to die, he was pissed and it seemed like a good idea at the time but wouldn't do it again.

He was a strange lad to be honest, awkward and a real scruff in a dirty unwashed way. The type you'd avoid if you saw him.

He moved away to London a year or so later to shack up with some woman who was 40 years older than him.

Never heard anything of him since.

15 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

Not an actual suicide, but I knew a lad who took an overdose once. He had to have his stomach pumped. It wasn't a genuine suicide attempt though, more a cry for help.

I know this because he told someone he didn't want to die, he was pissed and it seemed like a good idea at the time but wouldn't do it again.

He was a strange lad to be honest, awkward and a real scruff in a dirty unwashed way. The type you'd avoid if you saw him.

He moved away to London a year or so later to shack up with some woman who was 40 years older than him.

Never heard anything of him since.

A GGILF.

33 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Sadly, yes.

My mate Stevie Dent hanged himself whilst living above a chip shop, some 15 years ago.

Stevie was sharp as a tack but he'd always lacked self esteem but he hid that behind a veil of braggadocio and bullshit.

In his ever increasing dark moods, Steve turned to drink and increasingly, more extreme drugs.

He suffered from spells in and out of hospital, and acute spells of paranoia, and it came as no surprise to me to hear the news of his death.

My loony friend Robbo (who'd grown up with Denty and who was responsible for introducing us) told me a story of years before I'd met Stevie, when he was already well on the way to his ultimate demise.

Apparently Denty had just buggered off to India for 6 months, hadn't told anyone he was going and then, just as abruptly, he returned. Robbo got a call off a panicked Lee Dent, Stevie's brother, telling Robbo to get round to his mam and dad's sharpish cos their kidder was back but he was acting really strange and they were worried about him.

Anyway, Robbo tells me that he legged it round there to find a naked Denty, sat stark bollock naked, legs crossed in some Yogic meditative trance, inside a circle of salt on his parents driveway in broad daylight.

Several of the neighbours were out starring and Denty's elderly parents were beside themselves. They asked Robbo if he could help, so he wanged a can of Coke at Stevie  and it bounced off his head!

Denty immediately shot bolt upright, leaving his transcendental state and demanded to know who'd bounced the can off his bounce. Haha.

Robbo said it was him and asked Denty what the fuck he was playing at because he was scaring his parents and their neighbours.

Denty said, "I'm fucking meditating, what the fuck does it look like to you?"

Robbo pointed at the circle of salt and said, "Oh, I thought you had a slug problem" ! Hahaha

Rest in peace Stevie you mad bastard, rest in peace son.

• Upvote 2

Adam William Docher - funniest bloke I ever knew.  Met him at uni and he killed himself when he was about 21.  I think he may have been gay, but who knows. Think about him a lot and it was 28 yrs ago.  He’d have fucking run rings round this place.  He was a lot like Dr Nowt. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Sadly, yes.

My mate Stevie Dent hanged himself whilst living above a chip shop, some 15 years ago.

Stevie was sharp as a tack but he'd always lacked self esteem but he hid that behind a veil of braggadocio and bullshit.

In his ever increasing dark moods, Steve turned to drink and increasingly, more extreme drugs.

He suffered from spells in and out of hospital, and acute spells of paranoia, and it came as no surprise to me to hear the news of his death.

My loony friend Robbo (who'd grown up with Denty and who was responsible for introducing us) told me a story of years before I'd met Stevie, when he was already well on the way to his ultimate demise.

Apparently Denty had just buggered off to India for 6 months, hadn't told anyone he was going and then, just as abruptly, he returned. Robbo got a call off a panicked Lee Dent, Stevie's brother, telling Robbo to get round to his mam and dad's sharpish cos their kidder was back but he was acting really strange and they were worried about him.

Anyway, Robbo tells me that he legged it round there to find a naked Denty, sat stark bollock naked, legs crossed in some Yogic meditative trance, inside a circle of salt on his parents driveway in broad daylight.

Several of the neighbours were out starring and Denty's elderly parents were beside themselves. They asked Robbo if he could help, so he wanged a can of Coke at Stevie  and it bounced off his head!

Denty immediately shot bolt upright, leaving his transcendental state and demanded to know who'd bounced the can off his bounce. Haha.

Robbo said it was him and asked Denty what the fuck he was playing at because he was scaring his parents and their neighbours.

Denty said, "I'm fucking meditating, what the fuck does it look like to you?"

Robbo pointed at the circle of salt and said, "Oh, I thought you had a slug problem" ! Hahaha

Rest in peace Stevie you mad bastard, rest in peace son.

Tragic but beautiful. And the other way around. 

On 13/11/2021 at 08:50, polymerpunkah said:

Briefly.

Couple weeks ago was travelling home and ran into a transport truck parked across the highway. We and three other vehicles. It was a bit mad there for a while as we were pulling people out of burning cars, and then stood watching as a group of passers-by hooked a pick-up to one of the cars that was stuck under the truck with the driver still alive inside and yanked it out from underneath as the fire burned the vehicles next to it, truck tires exploding, fuel tanks going up etc. The strap kept breaking, but they just tied it back up and kept yarding away on that car til it was free.

I haven't heard if the driver survived--they air-lifted her to Vancouver for treatment. But if she did they saved her life. 

Went to the hospital to get checked out as I was a little shaken up. Still sore from the seatbelt that kept me from going through the wind-shield.

Police report and insurance adjuster both indicate that there were no fatalities, so the driver of the trapped car presumably survived.

Very pleased with that, of course.

• Upvote 4