You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

What the fuck is going on with Davies? I just don't see us flipping him in the summer at all, but then we seemingly have zero faith in him.

I think Phillips has been boss, especially recently. 24 is still young and he can do a job. No idea if this means we should swerve signing Konate though.

46 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

I

A very simple (Football Manager) logic is if possible to get the same for Nat as we spend on Kabak, (I know agrent fees etc but go with me), I would rather have Kabak due to the fact IMO that Nat will never be good enough to start regularly for us, whereas Kabak has a lot more potential. 

Nat Spend.

Club might feel the difference in keeping Phillips as a back up with lower wages and no fee will be better overall than buying Kabak. Kabak didin't look happy when he was brought off either, he will expect to play where Phillips will likely be happier as part of the squad. Plus Phillips fill one of the Home Grown quota.

Personally if we could i would sell Matip for Kabak but i can see the idea if the club think Phillips overall value as a back up makes more sense in the current climate. 

Nat Phillips is an ideal rotation option against the Burnley's and West Broms of this world. 

It's also worth mentioning that he has not had the chance to play with Virgil, who elevates everyone around him. Nat has been playing alongside Kabak and Williams and he's had to be the senior partner.

• Upvote 5

25 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Phillips is basically a more likeable Skrtel. Backs to the wall defender. We shouldn't accumulate them as we're past having those kinds of defenders, but if he's fine being 5th choice, so be it. 

All of this. 

38 minutes ago, dave u said:

Nat Phillips is an ideal rotation option against the Burnley's and West Broms of this world. 

It's also worth mentioning that he has not had the chance to play with Virgil, who elevates everyone around him. Nat has been playing alongside Kabak and Williams and he's had to be the senior partner.

Great points made there. 

48 minutes ago, dave u said:

Good to see him not be bullied by all their alehouse players, put a few of them on their arses as well. 

I'd be happy for him to stay, he might not be as good as Matip but he's always available and Matip is never fit.

Think it is a waste of time keeping Rhys Williams though and loaning him out. If anyone offers us a few million he should be sold. 

A few clubs are interested in Neco Williams also.

53 minutes ago, dave u said:

There’s no way he’s the senior partner out of him and Kabak. Before this season Phillips had only played 19 games in the German second division and a few cup ties. Kabak had over double that amount of games in the Bundesliga and champions league and international experience. Kabak also moved to the left sided centre back role where he normally doesn’t play to accommodate him. 

This is like Jon Flanagan all over again (and I jumped on that bandwagon at the time to be fair). He’s done a good job but he isn’t good enough for us. 

1 hour ago, Sugar Ape said:

There’s no way he’s the senior partner out of him and Kabak. Before this season Phillips had only played 19 games in the German second division and a few cup ties. Kabak had over double that amount of games in the Bundesliga and champions league and international experience. Kabak also moved to the left sided centre back role where he normally doesn’t play to accommodate him. 

This is like Jon Flanagan all over again (and I jumped on that bandwagon at the time to be fair). He’s done a good job but he isn’t good enough for us. 

Neither player excites me but Phillips has had a better season than Kabak IMO. I know Kabak is only 20, but putting that aside if you’re judging them based on the performances they’ve put out this season, it’d be hard to justify keeping Kabak over Phillips, especially for £18m more.

If I had the choice between Nat and Kabak for Palace on Sunday then I'd go for Nat without a moment's hesitation. But Kabak might develop into the better player given time and opportunity. 

Nat would be a great bench option for those games where we're trying to keep things tight in the last  ten minutes.  

• Upvote 2

We are not paying 35ml for Konate to come in as 4th choice.

Alaba would be shite as a CB over here imho, he would get bullied by the alehouse teams

Also he has all but been announced at Real,wants massive wages

There seems a obvious prototype for Klopps CB and thats over 6'2 with pace.

I think we go into next years with Virg, Konate, Gomez, Matip and Phillips

• Like 1

At most, at MOST, we will be looking to bring in 3 first team players (meaning players we expect to make a significant, >1500 minute contribution next season) this summer. Maybe 4, but only if we sell someone who meets that description.

One of them needs to replace Gini for sure. So if you're saying we're buying Konate and signing Alaba (whose wages will make him more or less as expensive as a 30m signing), then that's it. No forwards at all, in all likelihood.

I can't see that at all. With such a small margin for error, I think it'll be one each in defense, midfield, and on the forward line. Or, and I know I've said this before, I could see us selling one of Mane/Salah and buying Sancho, so that one could be an extra to the three I've said there. Plus maybe a youngster or two, or an older player on low wages that doesn't mind being third choice (a la Klavan), something like that.

Does anyone outside of PSG have the even reduced 50/60ml we would want for Mane and probably double for Salah

Think is aswell Sancho is going to want the 200k plus the mancs would pay him. 

I think the plan precovid would be to sell one of them this summer but Real and Barca don't have a pot to piss in so unless they sold someone not sure where theyd get the money from.  I think Mbappe will refuse a move or new deal and go to Real on a free on real knockdown in January, unless City or Chelsea make a massive offer and offer him the world in wages

14 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Does anyone outside of PSG have the even reduced 50/60ml we would want for Mane and probably double for Salah

Think is aswell Sancho is going to want the 200k plus the mancs would pay him. 

I think the plan precovid would be to sell one of them this summer but Real and Barca don't have a pot to piss in so unless they sold someone not sure where theyd get the money from.  I think Mbappe will refuse a move or new deal and go to Real on a free on real knockdown in January, unless City or Chelsea make a massive offer and offer him the world in wages

Juve if Ronaldo goes. They'd have to finish in a Champions League place also.