You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Starting again at life in middle age

elvis

27 minutes ago, elvis said:

Ha , not quite called on a GP mate of mine for a chat and a scrip of valium for my ever increasing old man angst  

Some great ideas for recovery , but I'm a bit quiet and reserved for most of them .

The thought of constant peace and quiet is nirvana most of the time , when it's staring me in the face ? Not so much . For now at least 

Settle in first mate see how you feel. It'll get easier. Still got your kids and they'll love you the same. 

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Elvis has been quiet since last night. Cunt mush be balls deep already.

11 hours ago, elvis said:

Ha , not quite called on a GP mate of mine for a chat and a scrip of valium for my ever increasing old man angst  

That was our next guess.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm 38 and took this step after 11 years nearly 2 years ago.

I found the initial adjustment emotionally tough but my take on it now is:

- The time with my kids is better quality. They live with me half the time and the absence of the strain of a failing relationship makes it much more relaxed when we do things together.

- Use the additional time on your own well. Try to put your effort into things that can have a positive impact on your life. I put my focus on getting fit as much for mental well being as anything. I was overweight but I'm now fitter than I've ever been in my life.

- My time with my mates is much better than it ever was. I can go out for a few pints or even go for a weekend away (which I hadn't done in years) when I don't have the kids without knowing I'm going home to a guilt trip.

- Meeting women is much easier now than it ever was with the internet. I've also learned I'm much more comfortable in my own skin than when I was younger which helps.

- I've found with time I get on fine with my ex. We both recognise we weren't right for each other in the end but everything is totally amicable and we're both happier for doing what we did. Most importantly, I think the kids are too.

It is daunting to take those first steps on your own but if things weren't working out it will be for the best in the end. Hope it goes well for you.

• Upvote 8