You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

4 minutes ago, Stickman said:

If Ferguson was still manager it wouldn't even be up for debate it would already be in their  trophy cabinet 

...and all of the British managers & executives would have publicly said as soon as play was suspended that it’s inevitable Man Utd would be awarded the title.

Is completely cancelling it like it never happened the cleanest way to do it in terms of lawsuits or whatever.  The tv contracts just given an extra 9 games or whatever to show.

In my opinion  you have to award the title if you make any other decisions that benefit teams. If you pick sides for promotion or European qualification based upon points or merit, the same has to apply to the title. You cant say their points were worth something but yours werent. They may end up just thinking it's better to just piss off Liverpool, Leeds and other league leaders than everyone else infact I doubt other league leaders would be arsed not being called champions as long as they get that promotion so in reality it's only Liverpool they'll piss off. I'm sure they can live with that.

7 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Is completely cancelling it like it never happened the cleanest way to do it in terms of lawsuits or whatever.  The tv contracts just given an extra 9 games or whatever to show.

In my opinion  you have to award the title if you make any other decisions that benefit teams. If you pick sides for promotion or European qualification based upon points or merit, the same has to apply to the title. You cant say their points were worth something but yours werent. They may end up just thinking it's better to just piss off Liverpool, Leeds and other league leaders than everyone else infact I doubt other league leaders would be arsed not being called champions as long as they get that promotion so in reality it's only Liverpool they'll piss off. I'm sure they can live with that.

The question of champions shouldn’t even be up for vote. It should be inevitable - the questions posed should along the lines of:

- End the season ‘as is’ with Liverpool champions, European qualification based on current positions and relegation.

- Same, but with no relegation and no promotion.

- Same, but with no relegation, allow promotion and an expanded league next season - gets Sky & BT their extra games?

- LFC champions, but with play offs to decide Europe and relegation.

Alas, I fear a weasel cop out ala Holland.

The thing with anxiety is that you imagine the worst. That's why you should never google a health issue.

In truth, the most likely outcome is that we'll be crowned champions whether the season is completed or not.

....and we'll continue to be reigning European and World Champions.

• Upvote 1

Am I right in thinking that the Dutch and French governments have issued a ban on mass gatherings until September? That sort of forces the hand of the football associations in those countries. 

The nobheads saying that the Premier League need to do what the Dutch have done tend to ignore that bit.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Stickman said:

So if it’s voided like it didn’t happen like they all seem to want will tv and prize money have to be paid back as there’ll be a lot of clubs in the shit if so...

This is how it was divvied out last season...

18-19_PremierLeague_Payment_Article_V1.p

The league has already floated clubs an advance based on their place in the table

8 minutes ago, Marko121 said:

Yet another let’s just start the season in August as it’ll all be fine then ..It kind of makes you wonder how they actually get employed as so called experts 

1 minute ago, TheDrowningMan said:

He starts blathering about how CL qualification would be unfair...how the fuck does he think the places should be awarded? Brexit twat.

I presume they mean we just go again based upon last season's positions. Essentially they all just want next season to be this season  started afresh. Doesn't really make sense unless you don't like how this one is going.  Unless of course you think pretending a season never happened is the actual cure to covid.

1 hour ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Check the replies to this tweet. It’s full of “not mathematically won, can’t award it” but whenever the issue of CL qualification is brought up, silence.

This is why this situation is unbearable and also why I haven't missed football one bit. The tribalism, lack of common sense and fairness surrounding this issue makes me lose all appetite for even wanting to watch football when it comes back. 

If they void the season after one of the most dominant seasons ever from the team I support, I've got no reason to even be a fan anymore. I'm not from the city, I'm not even English. If that achievement gets taken away, I've got no reason to support a football team. 

Taking the pandemic out of it and the people dying, the decision is simply, do you finalize the results, or do you act like the 19-20 Premier League season never happened. A decision that has zero safety implications either way. Logically, the latter decision puts everything into disrepute and the former reflects what actually happened this season, obviously in a slightly shorter time period. That the latter decision is even being discussed as an option is absurd. 

One of the replies was like "well if they finalize the season, what about Villa who would get relegated having played one less game, how was that fair. You just want to see Liverpool win the title". And it's like, hey buddy, one team is 25 points ahead in the title race, the other is 2 points from safety. How the fuck is that more unfair on Villa? Ok, if it's that unfair, play the two games between the sides that are on 28 games behind closed doors, then finalize the results. Simple. 

• Upvote 1