You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

I think Covid has probably turned @TK421 into a bit of an overthinker, would I be right in that assessment?

Using a medication with effectiveness that studies aren't very clear on without being sick is an odd one.

I was worried about the vaccine too but like it's the only way out of this really. 

Perhaps, but I don't mind.

I find the pandemic an interesting topic and an interesting thing to live through, so for me it's a natural thing to want to dwell on it etc. 

Also, I disagree with the narrative that vaccines are the only way out.  After all, it was therapeutics that were decisive in controlling HIV.  I think there should be more focus, research and investment in this area but not at the expense of vaccines.

We should have an holistic approach to overcoming the virus - vaccines, therapeutics, non-pharmaceutical interventions, ingenuity and so on. 

5 minutes ago, TK421 said:

I find the pandemic an interesting topic and an interesting thing to live through, so for me it's a natural thing to want to dwell on it etc. 

By your own statements you were a bit of a shut in prior to this. If that is not right feel free to correct.

Do you feel you have used the last 18 months or so to justify that? And has it made it "worse"?

I can say for sure, there are a couple members of my extended family who have gone out of their way to "not interact" for the good of others.

15 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Also, I disagree with the narrative that vaccines are the only way out.  After all, it was therapeutics that were decisive in controlling HIV.  I think there should be more focus, research and investment in this area but not at the expense of vaccines.

We should have an holistic approach to overcoming the virus - vaccines, therapeutics, non-pharmaceutical interventions, ingenuity and so on. 

Covid is airborne, mate. As we've seen, you can't live life regularly without the very real threat of contracting it. HIV is way, way harder to get. You could live your whole life ignorant in how it spreads and you still probably won't get HIV.

I think pretty much no stone is being left unturned in terms of research and ways to control Covid. Vaccines are probably by far the easiest, most effective and likely way.

8 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

By your own statements you were a bit of a shut in prior to this. If that is not right feel free to correct.

Do you feel you have used the last 18 months or so to justify that? And has it made it "worse"?

No, I liked going out and seeing friends in pubs and I miss that.  I just don't see it as a safe activity now and am happy to sacrifice/minimise social contact because I'm also at ease in solitude and have things to keep me busy. 

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

Covid is airborne, mate. As we've seen, you can't live life regularly without the very real threat of contracting it. HIV is way, way harder to get. You could live your whole life ignorant in how it spreads and you probably won't get HIV.

I think pretty much no stone is being left unturned in terms of research and ways to control Covid. Vaccines are probably by far the easiest, most effective and likely way.

I think that's downplaying the threat of HIV and the harm it did, and the point stands - therapeutics controlled it, not a vaccine. 

By throwing all eggs in the vaccine basket we do ourselves a disservice. There are other remedies which should be vigorously pursued in addition to vaccines. 

18 minutes ago, TK421 said:

I think that's downplaying the threat of HIV and the harm it did, and the point stands - therapeutics controlled it, not a vaccine. 

By throwing all eggs in the vaccine basket we do ourselves a disservice. There are other remedies which should be vigorously pursued in addition to vaccines. 

I don't think a disease contracted through breathing air and a disease that needs, semen, blood or poo is comparable, but whatever.

Also, as I said, I very much doubt no one is working on other stuff.

23 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I don't think a disease contracted through breathing air and a disease that needs, semen, blood or poo is comparable, but whatever.

Also, as I said, I very much doubt no one is working on other stuff.

They're both viruses so comparable in that respect. 

And my initial comment was made in relation to George Eustice wanting to scrap face masks at a time when there are likely to be tens of thousands of infections per day, all I was doing was putting it out there that I don't agree with his proposed policy. 

20 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Except it's not. 

From government stats of the number of people in hospital

30 may - 927

7 June - 1033 (under 10% increase)

14 June - 1178 (just over 12% increase)

21 June (latest available data) - 1508 (28% increase)

Perhaps there's some stat where you can show the rate of hospital numbers to cases is running less than in previous waves, but it's just wrong to suggest the growth of people in hospital is decreasing. 

Yes it is. 

Week-on-week growth on June 14 was 48.7%. Week on week growth on June 20 was 20.8%.

4 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Sounds like masks aren't doing much to stop transition.

I don't think they've made a mask with a straw yet so getting bevvied up requires masks off. 

@TK421 did you watch The Vaccine on BBC? Really interesting stuff, although the vaccines are new the background work and development are years in the making. Pretty much all them where ready go with just slight adjustments needed to already established techniques. The numbers involved in the trials were massive compared to anything that went before it. 

I would respect anyones decision not to take any drug that only has emergency approval but you're argument is massively diluted by taking shit made for horses.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, No2 said:

@TK421 did you watch The Vaccine on BBC? Really interesting stuff, although the vaccines are new the background work and development are years in the making. Pretty much all them where ready go with just slight adjustments needed to already established techniques. The numbers involved in the trials were massive compared to anything that went before it. 

I would respect anyones decision not to take any drug that only has emergency approval but you're argument is massively diluted by taking shit made for horses.

No, I didn't watch it.  I wouldn't trust the BBC to give a balanced view on vaccines.

As for the ivermectin, as I've said before it's not a decision I took lightly and I don't see how it can be criticised because my intent in taking it is the same as yours when you take the vaccine - to avoid severe disease from Covid.

I'm not here to persuade anyone that taking ivermectin in horse paste form is a good idea, I know that it sounds whacko so it's a waste of time going into it. 

2 minutes ago, TK421 said:

No, I didn't watch it.  I wouldn't trust the BBC to give a balanced view on vaccines.

As for the ivermectin, as I've said before it's not a decision I took lightly and I don't see how it can be criticised because my intent in taking it is the same as yours when you take the vaccine - to avoid severe disease from Covid.

I'm not here to persuade anyone that taking ivermectin in horse paste form is a good idea, I know that it sounds whacko so it's a waste of time going into it. 

I'm not sure how much input the BBC had, the main contributors were American, Chinese, Australian with 2 birds from Oxford. The Australian cunt wanted to stick a strain of HIV into the vaccine he was developing, there was a fella that needed a mate to tell him that would be a hard sell.

Even if your sceptical I'd still recommend it just to see the different technologies and ideas behind each one.

15 minutes ago, No2 said:

I'm not sure how much input the BBC had, the main contributors were American, Chinese, Australian with 2 birds from Oxford. The Australian cunt wanted to stick a strain of HIV into the vaccine he was developing, there was a fella that needed a mate to tell him that would be a hard sell.

Even if your sceptical I'd still recommend it just to see the different technologies and ideas behind each one.

I don't doubt that the technology is impressive, I wouldn't know where to start making or explaining how an mRNA vaccine or vector whatchmicallit works.  

My concerns are more with safety and real world effectiveness.  I may well end up taking one of the mRNA vaccines, I just want to wait and see. 

2 minutes ago, TK421 said:

For anyone wanting a Whitty update - cos I just know you are - I have written about 50% of it or maybe two thirds.  It currently sits at four pages of a Word document using Arial font in size 11. 

I'd forgotten about it myself to be honest. That said, I can't wait. Reduce the font size though so you look... cleverer.