You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

i saw a figure recently where in Delhi, India, a city of 20 million, they're only reporting 100-300 new cases every day. 

Is the virus fizzling out over there or what the fuck? 

I really hope its fizzling out, this is draining. its like entering a 5k fun run but every time you get close to the end some cunt adds another 5k onto it. Its never ending.

Our youngest has her 2nd birthday in 2 weeks, we just figured out she's yet to play with a child of her age. I actually find that worrying to be honest.

This "surge testing" shit is weird, someone from the council knocking on doors and sticking cotton buds up your nose AMID CONCERNS OVER NEW STRAINS!!!! 

Meanwhile, you can still fly here from south Africa and/or Brazil.

They love their pointless optics these fuckers don't they? Press love it.

My uncle in Chile got vaccinated today. Seems they only started their vaccination programme about a week ago but it's going pretty well now. My uncle is only in his mid 70s, I was pretty surprised they'd got started at all to be honest.

They've aimed to get 5 million (about 30/35% of the population) done by the end of March.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

My uncle in Chile got vaccinated today. Seems they only started their vaccination programme about a week ago but it's going pretty well now. My uncle is only in his mid 70s, I was pretty surprised they'd got started at all to be honest.

They've aimed to get 5 million (about 30/35% of the population) done by the end of March.

How's the situation in Chile? Haven't heard much if anything about there, I guess the catastrophe in Brazil hogs the headlines.

5 minutes ago, Mudface said:

How's the situation in Chile? Haven't heard much if anything about there, I guess the catastrophe in Brazil hogs the headlines.

Three quarters of a million cases and twenty thousand deaths. Population of about 19m. So not great. 

It's a wealthy if increasingly unequal country, and they live next door to some absolute basket cases so I guess it has been almost impossible to shield themselves from the fallout of whatever is going on in Venezuela, Brazil, etc.  But they're far enough South that you'd think they could insulate themselves from the worst of it. 

A good 30/35 percent of the country are in Santiago (my uncle isn't, which further surprised me that he's been vaccinated) which I doubt has helped. 

Deaths per population in Chile doesn't make for good reading but they're one of only a few countries in Latin America with stats that I'd actually believe (or that they were bothering to compile any) so who knows really. 

• Upvote 1

Imagine thinking this is the right moment in time to release this report. These Tufton Street think tanks should be fucking pariahs. 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/feb/09/thinktank-critical-of-nhs-covid-response-has-links-to-hancock?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Thinktank critical of NHS Covid response has links to Hancock

Labour has demanded that Matt Hancock return donations from the chair of an influential conservative thinktank after it published a report saying there was “no reason to be grateful” for the NHS during the coronavirus pandemic.

The report published by the Institute of Economic Affairs (IEA) claims to debunk “myths” including that “the NHS is the star performer of the pandemic” and that it “has done the most amazing job under the most difficult of circumstances”.

Written by Dr Kristian Niemietz, the IEA’s head of political economy, it says: “There is no rational basis for the adulation the NHS is currently receiving, and no reason to be ‘grateful’ for the fact that we have it. It should go without saying that if the UK did not have the NHS it would not have no healthcare system. It would have a different healthcare system.”

After suggesting possible alternative systems used overseas, such as insurance-based models, it adds: “There is no guarantee that this would have served the UK better during the pandemic, but there is certainly no reason to believe that it would have done any worse. There is nothing special about the NHS, neither during this pandemic, nor at any other time.”

Electoral Commission records show that the chair of the IEA board, Neil Record, has donated £32,000 to Hancock. In a letter to the health secretary, the Labour deputy leader, Angela Rayner, urged Hancock to pay back the donations and condemn the “disgraceful attack” on the NHS.

She wrote: “As health secretary it is your job to protect and defend our country’s greatest institution – our national health service – and stand up for our NHS staff who have sacrificed so much throughout the pandemic to save lives and keep us safe. It is therefore deeply concerning that our country’s health secretary is so closely linked to … an organisation which criticises our NHS and is committed to its dismantling, abolition and replacement with a privatised healthcare system.”

The public has shown its appreciation for NHS staff in the pandemic, from the weekly “clap for carers” between March and May last year to making personal protective equipment for frontline workers and delivering meals to hospital staff.

Referencing the “clap for carers”, the IEA report says: “It was soon followed by self-made posters and adverts saying ‘Thank you NHS’ or some variation thereof, usually showing hearts and rainbows drawn around the NHS logo, popping up everywhere. Crises often trigger a collective ‘Rally-Round-the-Flag Effect’, and ‘Rally-Round-the-NHS’ is the modern British version of that.”

The IEA is one of the most politically influential thinktanks in the UK, previously boasting that 14 members of Boris Johnson’s cabinet had been associated with its group’s initiatives.

The report, released on Tuesday, says the NHS was only the star performer “in the way in which for proud parents watching a school performance, their own child will always stand out as the ‘star performer’, even if nobody else sees it that way”.

Niemietz writes: “The claim of this paper is that an effective pandemic response is compatible with a variety of public spending levels, a variety of trade regimes, and a variety of healthcare systems.”

Rayner urged Hancock to take action “to assure NHS staff and the British people that you don’t share the view … that we should not be grateful for the NHS or thank the NHS and its staff for their work during the pandemic”.

The IEA and Department of Health and Social Care have been approached for comment.

20 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Imagine thinking this is the right moment in time to release this report. These Tufton Street think tanks should be fucking pariahs. 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/feb/09/thinktank-critical-of-nhs-covid-response-has-links-to-hancock?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Labour has demanded that Matt Hancock return donations from the chair of an influential conservative thinktank after it published a report saying there was “no reason to be grateful” for the NHS during the coronavirus pandemic.

The report published by the Institute of Economic Affairs (IEA) claims to debunk “myths” including that “the NHS is the star performer of the pandemic” and that it “has done the most amazing job under the most difficult of circumstances”.

Written by Dr Kristian Niemietz, the IEA’s head of political economy, it says: “There is no rational basis for the adulation the NHS is currently receiving, and no reason to be ‘grateful’ for the fact that we have it. It should go without saying that if the UK did not have the NHS it would not have no healthcare system. It would have a different healthcare system.”

After suggesting possible alternative systems used overseas, such as insurance-based models, it adds: “There is no guarantee that this would have served the UK better during the pandemic, but there is certainly no reason to believe that it would have done any worse. There is nothing special about the NHS, neither during this pandemic, nor at any other time.”

Electoral Commission records show that the chair of the IEA board, Neil Record, has donated £32,000 to Hancock. In a letter to the health secretary, the Labour deputy leader, Angela Rayner, urged Hancock to pay back the donations and condemn the “disgraceful attack” on the NHS.

She wrote: “As health secretary it is your job to protect and defend our country’s greatest institution – our national health service – and stand up for our NHS staff who have sacrificed so much throughout the pandemic to save lives and keep us safe. It is therefore deeply concerning that our country’s health secretary is so closely linked to … an organisation which criticises our NHS and is committed to its dismantling, abolition and replacement with a privatised healthcare system.”

The public has shown its appreciation for NHS staff in the pandemic, from the weekly “clap for carers” between March and May last year to making personal protective equipment for frontline workers and delivering meals to hospital staff.

Referencing the “clap for carers”, the IEA report says: “It was soon followed by self-made posters and adverts saying ‘Thank you NHS’ or some variation thereof, usually showing hearts and rainbows drawn around the NHS logo, popping up everywhere. Crises often trigger a collective ‘Rally-Round-the-Flag Effect’, and ‘Rally-Round-the-NHS’ is the modern British version of that.”

The IEA is one of the most politically influential thinktanks in the UK, previously boasting that 14 members of Boris Johnson’s cabinet had been associated with its group’s initiatives.

The report, released on Tuesday, says the NHS was only the star performer “in the way in which for proud parents watching a school performance, their own child will always stand out as the ‘star performer’, even if nobody else sees it that way”.

Niemietz writes: “The claim of this paper is that an effective pandemic response is compatible with a variety of public spending levels, a variety of trade regimes, and a variety of healthcare systems.”

Rayner urged Hancock to take action “to assure NHS staff and the British people that you don’t share the view … that we should not be grateful for the NHS or thank the NHS and its staff for their work during the pandemic”.

The IEA and Department of Health and Social Care have been approached for comment.

Fucking unbelievable.

1 hour ago, Sugar Ape said:

That Kate Andrews has spouted this sort of stuff all over BBC politics shows over the years, including when Brillo Head himself Neil was on Daily Politics and it was produced by Robbie Gibb who fucked off to help out the May regime. 

Wonder how the now 6 million UC claimants and their families will afford an insurance based model in

the future, if they get their way?

10 minutes ago, Kepler-186 said:

That Kate Andrews has spouted this sort of stuff all over BBC politics shows over the years, including when Brillo Head himself Neil was on Daily Politics and it was produced by Robbie Gibb who fucked off to help out the May regime. 

Wonder how the now 6 million UC claimants and their families will afford an insurance based model in

the future, if they get their way?

I posted this the other day and it holds true here if we go to an insurance model.

The American system is built around employee benifits such as medical etc and these can be claimed back in a weird closed loop write off. So the 'health care' have little incentive to keep prices down, which drags up prices for those not lucky enough to get full coverage for medical.

Friend of mine broke his arm and it cost him nearly $25,000 just for care, no mention of post care.

We do not need this bullshit here.

Anyone who does not believe this country can not feed, care for, educate and protect every memebr of this state is an enemy of it, as we have enough to do it many times over if we had the will.

price-changes-in-usa-in-past-20-years-22

• Upvote 2

I just watched a vox type interview by JOE on Twitter from Bolsover. 

Obviously these types of things suffer from the confirmation bias of the media, but still the political naivety is staggering. 

Uphill battle to avoid the worst of what they’ve got planned amid the smokescreen of COVID and Brexit. 

Just seen a debate on social media. 

If someone not wearing a mask starts to get too close to you and refuses a verbal request to keep their distance, should you be permitted to use reasonable force (in the loosest sense of the word - say a gentle elbow/palm shove) to keep them away from you? 

I'd say yes. Maybe. Depending on the context. If they were just a smart arse covid denier, then definitely. 

19 minutes ago, Kepler-186 said:

Obviously these types of things suffer from the confirmation bias of the media, but still the political naivety is staggering. 

Uphill battle to avoid the worst of what they’ve got planned amid the smokescreen of COVID and Brexit. 

"The labour party are 'untrustworthy'."

How that Tory vote go for ya?

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Just seen a debate on social media. 

If someone not wearing a mask starts to get too close to you and refuses a verbal request to keep their distance, should you be permitted to use reasonable force (in the loosest sense of the word - say a gentle elbow/palm shove) to keep them away from you? 

I'd say yes. Maybe. Depending on the context. If they were just a smart arse covid denier, then definitely. 

Look at your phone and say "Shit, I'm positive" When they are out of earshot add "I left the iron off".

11 hours ago, Kepler-186 said:

Didn't think there was anything particularly outrageous or strange about those comments to be honest, I was expecting worse. 

Dad of one of the nursery nurses as work has been in hospital with it the past few weeks, in a bad way and on a ventilator.

He came round a bit apparently over the weekend and was able to face time, but has taken a turn for the worse the past few days.

She got a call at work today they have done tests and his lungs are scarred beyond repair due to it and was told to prepare for the worst. Poor lass was in absolute bits understandably.

It was so heart breaking to see, and really puts things in perspective, all the times I've moaned I fancy a pint down the pub, how selfish it is when people are going through this everyday.

• Upvote 8

6 minutes ago, Colt Seavers said:

Dad of one of the nursery nurses as work has been in hospital with it the past few weeks, in a bad way and on a ventilator.

He came round a bit apparently over the weekend and was able to face time, but has taken a turn for the worse the past few days.

She got a call at work today they have done tests and his lungs are scarred beyond repair due to it and was told to prepare for the worst. Poor lass was in absolute bits understandably.

It was so heart breaking to see, and really puts things in perspective, all the times I've moaned I fancy a pint down the pub, how selfish it is when people are going through this everyday.

Awful mate. 

My ma is five days into her symptoms, says her eyes and belly hurt, headache and leg muscles in pain. Hopefully being halfway through things won't get too much worse. Fingers crossed. 

Get yourself another mask Stronts.

Wearing a cloth mask over a medical procedure mask significantly helps reduce exposure to the coronavirus, according to a new CDC study.

Researchers determined double-masking or wearing tightly fitted medical masks can reduce exposure to infectious aerosols by 95 percent — demonstrating that the better the masks fit, the better protection they provide.

52 minutes ago, Colt Seavers said:

You haven't been going around spreading it though have you. There is nothing wrong with longing for your old life. There is nothing wrong with wanting to be happy. People die all the time of lots of different things, you can't be expected to mourn for them all.

By saying this, I am not undermining the tragic events some people are going through. My sister in law currently has acute pancreatitis, sepsis and Covid and has had to undergo a couple of surgeries. I have known people who have died. My point is, don't feel guilty for dreaming of normality and wishing you could have it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1