You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Town

Section_31

5 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

Liverpool doesn’t need that many student flats or expensive one bed apartments. I suspect it’s either a scam to sell units off plan at inflated prices with crazy promised rental yields to naive overseas investors who’ve never been to the city or money laundering or maybe both. Either way it will end up in tears for the local population whose amazing historical city is being ruined with these cheaply built architectural horrors. 

Amazingly there is still lots of unused plots in and around the city centre. It’s going to look like legoland. I took my niece for breakfast in Ma Boyles on Saturday morning, the area around exchange flags water st etc has some of the finest building in the country. Walk down the strand and apart from the 3 graces and James St hotel it’s like something off a computer game. Does my head in 

19 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

Liverpool doesn’t need that many student flats or expensive one bed apartments. I suspect it’s either a scam to sell units off plan at inflated prices with crazy promised rental yields to naive overseas investors who’ve never been to the city or money laundering or maybe both. Either way it will end up in tears for the local population whose amazing historical city is being ruined with these cheaply built architectural horrors. 

The rise in student apartments accompanies towns and cities where the student population contributes massively to the local economy,such as Liverpool. If council budgets weren't slashed then maybe this pressure wouldn't be there to milk one of only a few sure fire ways of funding some essential projects.

15 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

The rise in student apartments accompanies towns and cities where the student population contributes massively to the local economy,such as Liverpool. If council budgets weren't slashed then maybe this pressure wouldn't be there to milk one of only a few sure fire ways of funding some essential projects.

This is what happened with Leeds (Huddersfield tried to do the same but struggled). I find Leeds similar to Liverpool but it's become somewhat of a halfway house between Liverpool and Manchester in terms of feel. It's attracted some big companies and there's a lot of office space about. 

I read somewhere that Liverpool is a combination of two factors: Poor rail connections and office space is limited and therefore expensive. Too lazy to back up those factors but I'm sure they're true as I heard them in the whistle of the wind. 

58 minutes ago, Furmedge said:

Add the price of ale to the list too.  £10.80 for a pint of Guinness and a bottle of cider from a relatively back street pub in town on Friday night.

Crikey, which pub was that? I use quite a few pubs in town when I'm home, The Globe seemed to be the dearest, but its sound in there, the cheapest was The Victoria Star, sound in there too. 

I have to walk up Bold Street from Central and I don’t like it now, too many restaurants, empty buildings like the Lyceum that could be ace, and the old organic food place/ Waterstones opposite. And dodging the Deliveroo leccy bikes. 

Still, Ko Eastern Grill on Bold Street is lovely. Tokyo on Berry Street too. Casa Bar keep the ale in top condition. Agree with previous posts that Hardman Street, Hope Street area is still ok. 

Nicked these off an Instagram account, Real Ale Liverpool. Handy guide to some decent boozers. 

4EEBEFFD-4533-4694-883A-5B04D30A8151.jpeg

E7B4C4B9-F596-40DC-B983-87747E4883F4.jpeg

• Upvote 3

• 6 months later...
11 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Noticed one of the shops in town has been converted into a 'church' offering services such as 'how to be rich through prayer'. Was only a matter of time I suppose.

There’s branch of the Univeral Church off Church Street on Tarleton Street. Think it’s the same organisation that’s big in Brazil. Shady. 

I think Tarleton Street is named after the family, and Banastre Tarleton was a particularly ruthless British Army officer in the Revolutionary War. 

Took a few Yank battle flags though. 

https://allthingsliberty.com/2019/08/four-battleflags-of-the-revolution-captured-by-lt-col-banastre-tarleton/

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Kepler-186 said:

There’s branch of the Univeral Church off Church Street on Tarleton Street. Think it’s the same organisation that’s big in Brazil. Shady. 

I think Tarleton Street is named after the family, and Banastre Tarleton was a particularly ruthless British Army officer in the Revolutionary War. 

https://allthingsliberty.com/2019/08/four-battleflags-of-the-revolution-captured-by-lt-col-banastre-tarleton/

Yeah think that's the one. Offers prayers for financial independence and freedom from marriage curses among other things. 

Screenshot_20221113-100202_Chrome.jpg

52 minutes ago, Kepler-186 said:

Big slaver, too.

1 hour ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Big slaver, too.

No doubt, mate. Is there a plaque going there? 

Reminds me of the American Loyalist officer in the first few Sharpes Captain Leroy. 

“Slaves, cotton and molasses”. 

Edited by Kepler-186
Added link

4 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Noticed one of the shops in town has been converted into a 'church' offering services such as 'how to be rich through prayer'. Was only a matter of time I suppose.

That's all religions isn't it, making promises they'll never have to deliver on, typically eternal life in paradise. They should all be done by trading standards. 

2 hours ago, Kepler-186 said:

No doubt, mate. Is there a plaque going there? 

Reminds me of the American Loyalist officer in the first few Sharpes Captain Leroy. 

“Slaves, cotton and molasses”. 

Yeah, it's on the list.

https://liverpoolexpress.co.uk/revealed-liverpool-streets-considered-for-slavery-memorial-plaques/ 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Fucking hell, the ESD will be off the scale.

The restaurant and bar will be screening big sporting events and will feature Las Vegas-style themed changing rooms for staff - ‘Hooters Girls’ - so they can be “camera ready at all times”.