You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Town

Section_31

I don't know if this should go on the 'getting older' thread or what, but is it just me or has it gone really shit? 

The explosion of 'apart hotels' or whatever they're called means the nightlife (and day life very often) is dominated by stag and hen do's a-la Blackpool 2007. Also got 'PR' types in Concert Square and Matthew Street, during the day, fucking mithering endlessly. 

Church street is an absolute freak show, a concoction of rowdy teenagers and the world's worst collection of Britain's Got Talent rejects. Quite a few people with clear mental health problems, including a 'busker' bloke who stands there growling into a microphone that's not connected to anything.  

Parts of it are pretty hairy now too even in the day time. Was up Bold street the weekend before last at dinner time and there's people just walking past swigging from bottles of whiskey.

Bizarrely, there's also fuck all in terms of shops you'd actually want to go to now as well. We went holiday shopping there in the summer and couldn't find anything at all, ended up going to Edge Lane instead. 

Can't imagine wanting to go shopping there and get some lunch or something after it now, just feels thoroughly unpleasant. 

• Upvote 3

It’s not just a Liverpool thing, mate. The high street everywhere is dying. Hardly any independents, shops closing and not being replaced with like for like, more and more chain restaurants and eateries. York (where I have been living for the past few years), like Liverpool, is increasingly geared towards tourists, stag and hen parties and students. Shite.

• Upvote 5

The sense of community in Town's is now gone. Used to love going to fruit/veg stalls when I was younger and listening to the aul dears banter with their customers. There would be a few pubs nearby too in which everyone knew everyone else and a drink was affordable. Souless now.

• Upvote 3

I work in town and it’s horrible.  Everyday there’s tramps absolutely everywhere hassling people for money.  A lot of them appearing by Lime St of a morning with wool or manc accents which leads me to assume they’re literally getting the train into town from wherever it is they come from to do it.

I see people on social media talk about how great Bold st is and I don’t know what planet they’re on.  I think Rory Smith who used to write for the times was going on about it a few months ago.  It’s an absolute dive.

As you say as well there’s always some shit dance act or fella hurdling through fire blocking up church street before you say he’s threw a kettle over a pub what have you ever done? These lizards turn up periodically every 2 weeks and stand there shouting shite for about an hour to get a crowd for this nonsense.

You’ve then got the god botherers with a megaphone shouting at young students, usually girls, telling them they’re evil for going on a night out or some other nonsense.  Peak town for me though is that old tramp just making noises into a plastic microphone.  He’s been there for years but now wears some ridiculous loud suit to add to how hilarious he is.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, The Guest said:

I work in town and it’s horrible.  Everyday there’s tramps absolutely everywhere hassling people for money.  A lot of them appearing by Lime St of a morning with wool or manc accents which leads me to assume they’re literally getting the train into town from wherever it is they come from to do it.

I see people on social media talk about how great Bold st is and I don’t know what planet they’re on.  I think Rory Smith who used to write for the times was going on about it a few months ago.  It’s an absolute dive.

As you say as well there’s always some shit dance act or fella hurdling through fire blocking up church street before you say he’s threw a kettle over a pub what have you ever done? These lizards turn up periodically every 2 weeks and stand there shouting shite for about an hour to get a crowd for this nonsense.

You’ve then got the god botherers with a megaphone shouting at young students, usually girls, telling them they’re evil for going on a night out or some other nonsense.  Peak town for me though is that old tramp just making noises into a plastic microphone.  He’s been there for years but now wears some ridiculous loud suit to add to how hilarious he is.

Is that you love?

They're trying to do the Leeds thing:

• Build a fuck load of student accommodation. 
  • Move all the main stores to one area (Trinity/Liverpool One)
  • Invest a fuck load of money into the University. 
  • Hope the influx of students helps with restaurants/clubs/businesses etc. 

They've just sacked off the business/building offices part which means everyone is moving near the Baltic or near Old Street which makes it all a bit disjointed and shit. 

Tend to avoid it now and only pop in for the odd comedy show or restaurant. 

Can’t be arsed having a proper night out there much anymore but it’s still sound for a bevy after work. 

Dale st way has still got a lot of sound pubs, Ship n Mitre, Vernon, Rigbys, Lady of Mann etc... or sometimes go up the other end to the Jac, Slaters and the Liffey. 

I’d rather have a few pints and get the train home now than be out all night there. Mathew st is proper shite now though, or even more shite than it used to be. Every bar has got some shit scally playing acoustic sets, even at 2 in the afternoon. Can’t hear yourself think in any of them. 

I’m having a nice pint of Thatchers in The lady of Mann right now actually waiting for my mate to arrive. 

917A28B6-FB8A-41F2-AB40-5A91C75494FA.jpeg

• Upvote 5

Only ever been in the centre of Liverpool once when Jennings and I went to the CL semi v Roma.

Have to admit i liked it and to me it had a kind of chilled buzz to it. Went for a few pints before and after the match and never felt threatened or out of place. 

Can't comment on the shopping as it is not my area of expertise.

I commented on here a few years ago that I felt like a stranger in the city centre. I totally get where Section is coming from but whats the solution ? For me it's just a case of moving with the times. It's either that or stagnate and fall behind. 

Yes there's a lot can be done to make it better. For a start, I'd reduce the amount of buskers. And something has got to be done about the begging. You cant walk a couple of hundred yards now without someone asking for money.

This is going to touch a few nerves but something needs to be done about those two who've pitched a tent up outside the Halifax on Paradise Street. The fucking the mess they've created is embarrassing. I've noticed a few more tents around too. 

As for the amount of hotels and what they bring with them. They're not going to turn away money just because it's hen & stag nights are they. There'd be a lot more vacant space around without the hotels and someone has got to accommodate all our overseas day trippers.

• Upvote 1

Still one of the best places to go out in the country, provided you know where to go. 

I wouldn't go out in Matthew Street, Slater St or Concert Square these days (with the exception of after a big sporting occasion in L4).

Bold St has always been shabby but there are still some decent places to eat there. 

When In'm in Liverpool I'll tend to go out round the top of Hardman St/Hope St - Grapes, Ye Cracke, Phil, Belvedere etc, Dale St as Sugar Ape said. 

I really enjoyed Oktopus and Buyer's Club when I went there a few months ago. 

The homelessness element of the city has certainly increased. Seeing tents, sofas and all sorts now and the numbers have more than doubled in the last year. I'm all for supporting these folk but there does need to be some action taken, it's getting to the point where each shop has 1/2 people sleeping rough. 

Just to add a positive bent.

My mrs works for an american company that operates walking and bicycling tours all over the world including the UK, she sets them, up picks the hotels and arranges the itineraries.  Anyway,we had to go up in the summer for my aunties funeral, it was the first time she'd been to Liverpool. We wandered round the waterfront and in to town and she was really impressed, so much so she is up there now planning an optional extension to a walking tour she has in the lake district and fully expects a big pick up. Not just because of the Beatles.

As uk cities go, its still one of the best

• Upvote 1

People have been moaning about Town for as long as it's been around.

My ma remembers it from the latter years of the War when it was largely a bomb site up through the Beatles and the Swinging Sixties to the grim 70s and 80s

She says she misses the grime and the excitement but it looks better and is far more cosmopolitan and user friendly than she has ever known stretching back to the 1940s

I remember the 80s and apart from a few places like The State it was fucking grim