You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Fekir Alternatives

Guedes is a good option if we want someone who can play all 3 forward positions instead. Don't know why more clubs aren't in for him, think it's just Valencia at the moment. 

Given their need to sell players to meet Financial Fair Play regulations, rumours the Parisians want an astonishing €80m (£70m/$94m) for his services may scupper any move. 

Valencia have already had a €40m (£35m/$47m) bid rejected, and general director Mateu Alemany has made no secret of his desire to seal a permanent deal: “The player would like to continue and has said so.” 

Seems a little on the pricey side and seems to want to stay at Valenica.

Guedes would be an expensive signing, but for that you'd get a player who can play AM and all across the front line. Lacey, great passing range, and unselfish - will pass to the player best positioned to score.

Reports are saying that City are having trouble closing the deal on Jorginho. I'd rock up to Napoli and offer whatever City are offering plus £5-10m. Worst case you make City pay more to get their man.

More seriously, there's probably a list somewhere in Edwards' office of players to consider. I'd bet that Ziyech is definitely on it, though Klopp would have to be certain he could fix his terrible habit of shooting from 25 yards. If you could, he's very good.

Other players on the list would be Kovacic (not enough goals, but otherwise excellent), Ndombele (plays a bit further back but is a great player), Pastore (28 and huge wages), Loftus-Cheek (not enough goals), Lewis Cook (I know, he plays for Bournemouth but his numbers are good), Julian Draxler (big wages, has chased the money his whole career), Felipe Anderson (if you thought Fekir's knees were dodgy!) and Milinkovic-Savic (could never afford him).

But when all is said and done, if I had to put money on one player to emerge as the Fekir alternative if indeed that deal is totally off the table, I'd put it on Goncalo Guedes. He's rumoured to be off to Valencia permanently, so PSG are certainly willing to sell. More importantly, he profiles out sort of close to what we're looking for. He's most similar to Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, actually, in terms of dribbling and passing attributes in advanced positions.

Again, I'm betting it's a long list, and none of them are without problems (or else they would have been first choice instead of Fekir). But I think PSG would definitely sell Guedes for the £48m we were offering for Fekir, and if I were pressed I'd say that's what will probably happen.

There is a guy that plays for Barcelona called Phil Coutinho. Great Skills eye for a pass can hit long range shots and takes a mean free kick. Would cost a fair whack but the down side is he became allergic to playing in England.

Doubt he'll pass the medical with his history of back problems.
  • Upvote 2

Reports are saying that City are having trouble closing the deal on Jorginho. I'd rock up to Napoli and offer whatever City are offering plus £5-10m. Worst case you make City pay more to get their man.

Honestly it sounds mental even typing this out, but are you suggesting we go to Napoli and see what they actually say when we slap the money on the table?

Just buy a fucking boss keeper. We have already improved and Keita is gonna be unreal for us. Fekir was just a novelty signing. He wouldn't even be a starter.

Come on, Stig. He'd have gone straight in at attacking midfield. We'd have been swarming defences like angry ants. I'm gutted it's fallen through, but it's for the right reasons, not the wrong one's.

What would be criminal would be if we didn't have alternatives lined up. This isn't like VVD where he's still obtainable. That medical isn't going to change, so we should have alternatives.