You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is Chelsea’s bubble about to burst?

11 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

I used to go and watch Pompey loads when I lived there too. Good laugh, but if footy and a few beers. Helps not being invested in the result either especially when they’re shite! 

Going back many years now but once went to watch Stoke play when our game and many others were postponed . The day itself was ok but I just couldnt get excited about the match because , as you said, no investment in the result.

I'm even worse. At one point I probably went to more Everton games than Liverpool. My best mate was a blue and in a club in Skem where they paid £4 a week and it paid for a coach to every game. If the coach had spaces I used to be allowed on for free, and lets be honest are you going to mooch round Skem all day or go with a gang of pissheads to the likes of Ipswich to watch a game. They were even bitter back then though, I won the spot the ball one game and 3 of them wanted me banned retrospectively for being a freeloading redshite.

• Upvote 2

In my very early twenties, I worked at Harwell and lived in Wallingford on the Thames. One of the mates I made was a 'Member' at Oxford United which got us into the players lounge, another mate was a Reading fan, so my weekends would alternate between the two, yes, no emotional investment but we had some great times, plenty of booze and football.

He might just have an executive box there to entertain London based clients. 

My Dad's old work used to have two season tickets for both Liverpool and Everton. We'd never get the Liverpool one but would always get the Everton one if it wasn't against the Mancs or Liverpool.

Used to be OK in their "500 club" as you'd get a meal and loads of drinks, unfortunately I was too young to take advantage of the never ending supply of ale.  The hospitality doesn't look like it's changed much since then as some guy I work with went before the pandemic. 

The guy who owned the company was a Preston fan I think. 

In the '50s my old man always went to the Reds at home but when the Reds were away he went to Everton, City or Accrington or wherever there was a game. common back then. Still got tonnes of his programmes from then.

As far as I'm concerned I went to one Newcastle game when I lived up there near the ground. Replay in the cup Vs Bournemouth under Ardiles and they got knocked out on pens. Didn't care either way.

When I lived in Sydney me and my mates never missed a Northern Spirit home game. Finished work in factory, bus to the North Sydney Oval, cold beer and BBQ on the open air concourse, 15-18K fans to cheer on Robbie Slater et al for $10.

Great fun. The team only existed from 1998-2004!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, CapeRed said:

Not knocking it by any means I just dont have the interest to watch other sides. I would sooner watch a good amateur game. My post was more in ref to the millionaire who could afford to go and watch the side he supports rather than just a side that is conveniently located.

I would imagine he was probably money rich but not time rich. I don't know what I'd watch if I couldn't go to Liverpool through time or distance, but I'm sure if I had a game I could make a day out with with mates, then I'd go, regardless of if it's PL, non-league or Sunday league. For me football is as much about the experience with your mates as anything and not having a match that where the result ruins the day is just fine by me.