You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Which position do we need to strengthen most?

Moo

Summer 2018. Priorities?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Which position is most important to strengthen this summer?

• Goalkeeper
    • Centre half
    • Defensive/holding midfielder
    • Forward
    • Other

Goalkeeper without a doubt. Karius did improve as the season went on but nowhere near enough to be our 1st choice going into next season. Happy for him to be our number 2 but after the other night we badly need someone better. Not sure if we have the money for Allison and knowing Klopp, I could see him putting his arm around Karius and keeping the faith with him. He has done it with a few players and they have improved for it. I just cant see it with Karius though. What the fuck happened the other night. 1 was bad enough but 2 mistakes like that in our biggest game in 11 years is unforgiveable IMO.

After that then we need another striker.

We need to strengthen in all areas. Look at our bench options! Abysmal. Goalkeeper is a priority and Karius and Mig need to go. A top forward is a must. If any of our main front 3 are out, we are screwed (as the final proved). A versatile defender that can play at right or left back would be lovely too. Midfield is getting better with Fab and Keita but Fekir or someone of that type is badly needed. We haven't yet replaced Coutinho (Ox does not count). 

If we had Coutinho in the final, we could have moved him further forward to replace Salah and we would have been far more effective than we were with Lallana.

In summary, we need about 4 or 5 TOP players to come in this summer, in addition to Fab and Keita.

• Upvote 1

1 x top goalkeeper

1 x left back

1 x top centre back

2 x top midfielders

1 x top forward

Lallana, Hendo, Ings, Sturridge, Moreno and Mignolet can go

If we get all of those then I humbly apologise to FSG for any criticism I have given them previously,but I have my doubts. Klopp generally brings in two or three first teamers and then another two or three kids/squad players. I'd like to think he might change this after Saturday night.

Fekir and a goalkeeper for me.

From my online ‘research’, Fekir could cover three roles; no 10, right wing, and forward. So he could cover for Salah and Bobby.

Although goalies are a bit boring (and hard to fap to) a good dominant one would be nice.

Fekir and a goalkeeper for me.

From my online ‘research’, Fekir could cover three roles; no 10, right wing, and forward. So he could cover for Salah and Bobby.

Although goalies are a bit boring (and hard to fap to) a good dominant one would be nice.

Goalies are not only problematic in that they have to be sweeper/keepers in our system but also in that buying almost any half decent keeper could wipe out our transfer budget in one hit.Not particularly easy with goalkeepers as I don't believe there are any who fit the whole identikit,just some who fit varying pieces of it.

I reckon Klopp wants to go all out for Pulisic too.

He's allegedly a top target for Spurs. From noises his dad has made it sounds like he'll be sitting down with Dortmund first, before they consider any move.

• 1 month later...

We've added Fabinho so I presume any or most votes for a holding midfielder will now tail off.

I'm still saying a forward, preferably in the Mane mould. However I'm a bit more worried about the GK position since I originally posted as I was "happy" to go with Ward and an experienced good quality back up, but there's no signs that's likely to happen.

Another attacker

As much as Karius cost us two goals we lost every type of attacking threat once Salah went off in the final. Lallana,Ings,Sturridge,Solanke etc are not proper cover for the front three.

I've gone for a forward.

If anyone of our front three gets seriously injured, we are totally fucked. That's not true of any other position.

Same here. I'm looking at PL stats here (and yeah I know much of this is likely down to VVD signing for us), and Karius has 45% clean sheet record, compared to Pickford at 29%, Courtois at 38%, Cech 46%, Lloris 35% and De Gea at 39%

The soppy cunt gifted 2 goals to those cunts in the CL final but defensively we look decent based on those stats. What we need to do is unlock the shithouse Watfords and West Broms of this world who come to ours playing for, and getting, a point. Too many draws last season almost cost us top 4; we need to break those cunts down with more and varied attacking options.

Same here. I'm looking at PL stats here (and yeah I know much of this is likely down to VVD signing for us), and Karius has 45% clean sheet record, compared to Pickford at 29%, Courtois at 38%, Cech 46%, Lloris 35% and De Gea at 39%

The soppy cunt gifted 2 goals to those cunts in the CL final but defensively we look decent based on those stats. What we need to do is unlock the shithouse Watfords and West Broms of this world who come to ours playing for, and getting, a point. Too many draws last season almost cost us top 4; we need to break those cunts down with more and varied attacking options.

Exactly.

I'm worried about Karius but I think we need to back Klopp on this as he won't be given the funds to rectify both problem areas. I can only think he doesn't see Ward as a long term option for whatever reason but still thinks Karius has a chance, he and his coaches know the players better than anyone else.