You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

I think you’re chronically underestimating the desperation for goals below the top six. At least half the managers in the league would take a punt on him on a free. No doubt there’d be suitable clauses regarding his fitness in any contract he signed, but I have no doubt he’d get a club.

They might take him on a free but at nowhere near his current wages, so I think we’re either loaning him out and paying his wages, or paying him a few million to leave.

I guess we’ll find out!

• Upvote 1

Just pay him off and send him on his way.

What's the point of paying him off and letting him go ? If we are paying him we might as well keep him as he may have a month or two here and there fit & give us 5-10 goals and cover other injuries / give people rests.

• Upvote 2

What's the point of paying him off and letting him go ? If we are paying him we might as well keep him as he may have a month or two here and there fit & give us 5-10 goals and cover other injuries / give people rests.

He can’t run.

Would people seriously want Zaha for £40m if we qualify for Top 4? I think that'd be a massive waste of an opportunity personally.

Depends on the available alternatives. If we can buy a proven, versatile striker with pace then no. But if the choice is spending £70m or so on someone unproven like Lemar then probably yes.

Zaha could play all three forward positions, although it would remain to be seen whether he could play up top for Liverpool. So he's got the versatility and skill wise there is no question in my mind he is good enough.

He's the singular reason Palace aren't right next to West Brom in the table and he eats defenders alive with his dribbling. He's also a fit 25 year old, so Klopp could easily get him to press and run.

I think he's a great option, actually. One of the best in terms of finding a versatile attacker who could spell every single one of our front three at a high level.

I know our midfield isn't shite or anything, they are workmanlike, but I can't help but think about how much more productive our front three could be if our midfield were half as talented as City's on the ball and able to really dominate possession in a similar fashion. Keita is obviously a massive step in the right direction, but another top ball playing mid should be a big priority in addition to a player or two that allow the front three a rest where the drop in attacking quality isn't massive.

I know our midfield isn't shite or anything, they are workmanlike, but I can't help but think about how much more productive our front three could be if our midfield were half as talented as City's on the ball and able to really dominate possession in a similar fashion. Keita is obviously a massive step in the right direction, but another top ball playing mid should be a big priority in addition to a player or two that allow the front three a rest where the drop in attacking quality isn't massive.

Agreed although the games we played Phil in midfield earlier in the season we weren’t very good from memory.

Would people seriously want Zaha for £40m if we qualify for Top 4? I think that'd be a massive waste of an opportunity personally.

I’m not particularly a fan of his. I think there are question marks over his character after the failure at The Mancs and I get the feeling he likes being the big fish in a small pond. However there’s no doubt he’s had a great season and would suit our game. I’d be surprised if we went for him though as I just don’t see Palace selling for less than stupid money. Certainly £40m is way below what they’d ask, I reckon and when you get into that territory there is surely better value out there.

*Whispers*

Harry Wilson

I’m not particularly a fan of his. I think there are question marks over his character after the failure at The Mancs and I get the feeling he likes being the big fish in a small pond. However there’s no doubt he’s had a great season and would suit our game. I’d be surprised if we went for him though as I just don’t see Palace selling for less than stupid money. Certainly £40m is way below what they’d ask, I reckon and when you get into that territory there is surely better value out there.

*Whispers*

Harry Wilson

Only scored 5 goals though, Zaha. He's the same age as Mo and has only scored 18 goals total in his entire professional career. For the price he'd cost he sure doesn't score enough.

Only scored 5 goals though, Zaha. He's the same age as Mo and has only scored 18 goals total in his entire professional career. For the price he'd cost he sure doesn't score enough.

Just checked those stats as o couldn't believe them. Why are people talking about signing a 25 year old forward that can't score? We've had defenders with higher goal tally's.

Good point. I think it’s clear Klopp gets far more out of players he signs than anyone else, but 5 is poor - especially for what he’d cost. Like I said, I’m not a fan.