You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR Thoughts?

Lee909

I think a detrimental effect of VAR is that it may even encourage diving. On the BBC last night every single pundit on there had the Willian one down as a pen just as they do every single time there’s contact. They’re either too fucking thick or too scared of their own cheating getting highlighted to say otherwise. Shearer then even had the temerity to say Pedro should have been sent off for just his first dive alone. He wants the rules changed in game just for one specific incident. I’m surprised in the next sentence he wasn’t going on about consistency again. I honestly think he’s up there with Crooks for the amount of shite he comes out with.

The reason the Willian one wasn’t a penalty is because he’s already decided to go down before the contact. The Norwich defender swings his leg and misses the player. Willian then unnaturally drags both of his legs, not even just one, feeling for the contact. He gets it and it’s a brush. It’s not some tap of the ankle contact at high speed sending him sprawling. It’s a tap when he’s already on his way down.

Literally the only difference between the Pedro and Willian incidents is that William got his contact. Had the Norwich players leg been a cm closer to the ground he would still have ended up on the floor because that’s what he had decided to do. Shearer would then have been demanding a red card despite the actual intent of both players being the same.

The reason why I think VAR is going to encourage diving is because they are going to have to come up with a definitive answer to what a foul is and with these wanker pundits demanding that every bit of contact is a penalty it is going to lean in that direction meaning even more players are going to go looking for it. You only need then have to look at Morata’s behaviour. Literally in his first game involving VAR he’s hit the deck and then within seconds is doing TV screen pictures with his hands tinted referee. I was cringing badly because that’s going to be the future.

Sorry, but I disagree with you all on the Willian incident. I think it was a penalty. For me the player clips the toe of his left boot which causes him to pull up short and unbalanced. He may well have tried to stay up by landing his foot on the ground, but because it had been clipped it landed in a position short of where it would have been - level with the other foot instead of ahead of it. So instead of maintaining his balance, he's falling forward. I think it's a penalty and he was unlucky to get a yellow card.

I’ll admit it was more touch and go than I’ve made out above but my point still stands though. He’s decided he’s going down. His legs go stiff and come together slightly. The contact comes relatively early to the point where if it hadn’t happened he may have been able to bring his feet back up and stay on his feet masking the dive. One of things that very difficult to do is hide your intent when diving. I think if your body shows that you were looking for it or already going down anyway it shouldn’t be a foul/penalty. That would be one thing that would cut diving out. Yet it remains to never be mentioned by anyone discussing it on the telly.

In my opinion there’s no way that brush from the Norwich player is knocking Willian over or even putting him out of his stride. I’m not really one of these “the games going soft” types because playing amateur football still I hate playing against players who are deliberately trying to injure you. That shit needed to be cut out. The professional game is a better thing for it. In terms of this though look at how soft a contact is now being deemed a definite penalty by all the pundits in a studio. A foul should be something more than that.

They actually cut to Zola yesterday who gave it the old “why would he go down there?” Because the ball is running away from him and he can get a penalty you fucking gnome. He could have easily stayed on his feet if he wanted to. Zola talking as if he’s been wiped out.

• Upvote 1

Agreed. Didn't look like a pen.

It was one of those that had it been given you would probably say it was soft but there was some contact, VAR is there to advise the referee not to do his job and only on clear cut mistakes is it likely to advise , not instruct, him to reverse the decision, Despite Conte's antics and the half wits in the BBC studio jumping up and down I think the thing worked as it should last night and told the ref there was no clear evidence to say he got it wrong.

People expecting it to be perfect are under an illusion. Borderline decisions will always be contentious and VAR wont solve that. The Ref still makes the call, 

My view is penalties should be scrapped other than for Red Card offences in the box,  A FK anywhere on the edge of the D would be awarded . Anyway that's another argument and very unlikely to happen

I hate the increase of those incidents like the Willian one last night, where, yeah there is contact but it's still not a foul. Totally agree with The Guest, he's seen the defender come in, he's on his way down and leaves his foot there to ensure "contact" is made. Kane is a master at it as well. It avoids the blatant dive tag because of the minimal contact, but it's still not a foul, for me. Could he have stayed on his feet? Absolutely. As could both Calvert-Lewin and Lallana in the recent derbies. It's still a con-trick, whichever way you look at it.

The BBC pundits were slagging off VAR last night, but they were as wrong as Jonathan Pierce was at the last World Cup over GLT during one of France's group games. These people get things wrong but instead of owning up to it, they double-down, throw logic out of the window and make themselves look stupid. On the rare occasions they are called out on it, they'll pout, claim their opinion is above questioning and then chat irrelevant bollocks. Was it Jermaine Jenas doing the co-commentary? Whoever it was, they kept repeating that bollocks about a player feeling contact in the penalty box being entitled to go down. Such a viewpoint will continue to muddy the waters and encourage players to cheat.

The argument in favour of VAR is that it means we get decisions right. The evidence of the last week or so is that no-one can agree what is "right" in the first place which suggests, for me, we might as well leave the Ref to it.

I understand from fans at the Leicester match on Tuesday that they sat there for 100 seconds not having a clue what was going on. And when the goal is given the celebrations are greatly muted compared to a goal being awarded in normal play.

For me, the odd decision that might be corrected is not worth the disruption to the flow of the game so I would get rid. And let's not kid ourselves, the fact the opportunity to refer decisions exists means Referees will choose to go to the Video Ref rather than make a decision himself that may prove wrong. That means further delays and Referees undermined at every turn.

We need to grow up and accept mistakes will be made sometimes; it really isn't a big deal.

• Upvote 1

The argument in favour of VAR is that it means we get decisions right. The evidence of the last week or so is that no-one can agree what is "right" in the first place which suggests, for me, we might as well leave the Ref to it.

I understand from fans at the Leicester match on Tuesday that they sat there for 100 seconds not having a clue what was going on. And when the goal is given the celebrations are greatly muted compared to a goal being awarded in normal play.

For me, the odd decision that might be corrected is not worth the disruption to the flow of the game so I would get rid. And let's not kid ourselves, the fact the opportunity to refer decisions exists means Referees will choose to go to the Video Ref rather than make a decision himself that may prove wrong. That means further delays and Referees undermined at every turn.

We need to grow up and accept mistakes will be made sometimes; it really isn't a big deal.

Couldn’t disagree more.

I disagree with barnesey 100% etc.

The Norwich lad has admitted it was a penalty. After seeing that incident last season with Coutinho where he somehow managed to stay up after 2 clips and ended up trickling a shot at the keeper , I am all for making the ref make a decision.

On the VAR , I think the debates are skewed by the frame-by-frame on tv slowing everything down far too much.

Happy with VAR as we would probably benefit from it. We usually spend more time in the opposition penalty area than the opposition does in ours, so there should be a higher likelihood of it working in our favour. Plus, bar Sturridge, we don't really have too many players that would 'go down easily'. 

That is until we decide to employ a park the bus type manager, in which case VAR can go fuck itself.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't like, gonna slow the game down massively.

Think it will ruin football but i can see why it is coming in due to what is at stake. Plus it has helped us!

Be good for the influx of yanks to fill the waiting time up with adverts

Every VAR decision has been right tonight. I agree the time taken is too long and people in the ground do not know what is going on. in Italy and Germany the refs give a VAR sign to the crowd at the beginning of any incident being looked at. Here the ref is asking on his mic and waiting to the VAR gives their decision then he is signalling to the crowd when he has changed it. The pen decision was a joke.