You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR Thoughts?

Lee909

I’m torn on this one. On the one hand I want more correct decisions, especially on the howlers Brownie describes. Many of them can quickly be eradicated as reference to VAR becomes smooth and efficient.

On the other hand, I really don’t want all the stop-start to come in, as that will detract from the beautiful game and make it more like NFL. If there are loads of stops there will be a commercial imperative for adverts during the VAR review, and potentially the game changes for the worse.

So they key for me is to keep its use to a minimum. I see two ways to do that. First, by only allowing it to be used for penalty and offside calls. Or second, each manager could be given two VAR ‘challenges’ per half. If there’s something they want to be looked at, they can challenge the refs decision and see if he is clearly wrong. At that point if anything is inconclusive, the refs decision is upheld.

Arguably I could see this second suggestion adding to the atmosphere, assuming communication with the crowd. Imagine at Anfield hearing “Mourinho challenge to the Salah goal” and then we’d have booing and chanting while it was reviewed. Then a few seconds later the verdict comes through... “Salah onside, goal stands, Liverpool 1 Manchester United 0.” The fans would revel in chanting at Mourinho all the more after that while putting him back in his box.

Two challenges per half, per manager, with communication to the crowd, and we might have the right balance between challenging incorrect decisions and still retaining enough flow to the game. And if done well, it could add to the atmosphere.

• Upvote 1

So your biggest argument is delay?

Would rather it took 30 seconds to be decided correctly than it to be discussed repeatedly over the next 30 days.

The delay is not my main issue, its what happens next. You just know cunts like Mournhio will find a way to use this to disrupt the fuck out of a match. If they gave each team 1 challenge each I could live with that.

So imaginary disruptions that we don't even know will materialise mean we should not even try it? It's on trial and if the flow us hampered that badly it can be amended.

Imagine the impact this'll have on diving cunts like Ronaldo.

Mental to oppose it out of hand

My fear is refs will defer more and more decisions to VAR just because they can. It'll be delays to clear up whose throw in it is if we're not careful.

I like the 2 challenges idea as mentioned though, seems to work in tennis.

I thought a bit similar when they said thy would review stuff the refs said they had not seen post game. Means the refs nt sure he will ignore it and let the video boys deal with it

It needs time but im really not sure about it

I take it there was no VAR at Watford yesterday when their forward fisted the equaliser into the net. This is ridiculous. You have some games being VAR'd and others not. It's unfair - just ask Southampton yesterday. Either implement it across the board in the PL, or not at all.

I take it there was no VAR at Watford yesterday when their forward fisted the equaliser into the net. This is ridiculous. You have some games being VAR'd and others not. It's unfair - just ask Southampton yesterday. Either implement it across the board in the PL, or not at all.

Only being used in the FA Cup this season I think and not used in the PL.

Guest Pistonbroke

VAR will be part and parcel of the game if the Managers/Clubs/FA want it to be, the fans won't even be consulted. I think it is a good thing myself, if used correctly, as in Referees not relying on it too much and frightened to give an easy decision as they know they can turn to VAR. 

Can’t expect a big bang implementation, it makes sense that they’ll trial it first.

I think a good way for it to be implemented would be for the 4th official to be monitoring it and have the ability to overrule the referee or to interfere with play for serious decisions. Also the referee can only consult the var once play has stopped such as a goal with the 4th official being able to stop play.

This I think will keep the game flowing and will stop managers deliberately stopping play to affect the game.

Taking yesterday's game as an example I give you exhibit A. Firmino's goal would have been reviewed, City would have been all over the ref had that option existed. One of the other goals had De Bruyne moaning he was fouled on the half way line. Again they would review that just be safe.

The beauty of football is the instant the ball hits the net, that few seconds normal people go mental. VAR takes that from us. Bobby would look a right dick whipping his top off 90 seconds after he scored a goal.

Guest Pistonbroke

He looked a dick anyway. Most modern goal celebrations are turd.

I have a vision. 

In a tight game the points were rescued for Liverpool as midfielder Tony Moanero went on a mazy run to beat 4 players before calmly chipping the keeper before heading towards the Kop whilst munching on a custard cream. 

We are discussing VAR because modern refereeing is so shit. Improve the refereeing and fuck that VAR shit off.

Or you improve refereeing by using VAR and any other technology available. It works in other sports, so why not football?

We are discussing VAR because modern refereeing is so shit. Improve the refereeing and fuck that VAR shit off.

Not really, humans are always going to make mistakes & I'd take a guess that it's more magnified now with how much football is televised.  Football history is littered with goals that should have been ruled out/in for one reason or other.