You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Our Worst Result

Moctezuma

That laugh inducing result by Rangers the other night against Progres Niedercorn got me thinking. What is our worst ever result?

The Worcester City FA cup result (2-1) in January of 1959 is famed as officially being the club's worst result in history and brought to an end Phil Taylor's era of management, which in turn brought about Shanks coming in.

http://www.lfchistory.net/Articles/Article/2648

In more modern times I reckon the multiple nadirs of the Hodgson era against Northampton, Wolves, Blackpool have got to be in contention. Of those I think Wolves was the worst where they completely played this team off the park:

25 Reina

02 G Johnson yellow card

03 Konchesky (Aurelio 73)

16 Kyrgiakos

37 Skrtel

04 Raul Meireles (Cole 73)

08 Gerrard

21 Lucas

09 Torres

18 Kuyt

24 Ngog (Babel 62)

The score line may not have been as bad as some other Anfield defeats (Arsenal beating us 3-6 in the league cup springs to mind), but the nature of the performance and where the club was at that time made it feel particularly bleak.

Under Rodgers the Stoke result at the end of his tenure and the acquiescence to Real Madrid at home were pretty bad though didn't feel quite as miserable.

What do you reckon? Which has been the worst in your memory.

Usually when we go to the dregs of the division and drop 3 points. There are any number of examples of this, and somehow they are all worse than getting spanked 6-1 at mid-table Stoke on the last day of the season.

I remember we played Sunderland twice in the space of about a month in 2002/03. It was right in that spell where we went something like 12 league games without a win. We drew 0-0 at Anfield in a completely one-sided contest, and then got beat 2-1 at their place. Sunderland were complete dogshit that season and couldn't buy a win against anybody - not dissimilar to last season then - and yet we obliged.

As for cup games, we are adept at losing at home to lower league opposition.

The Bristol City cup game for me.

After that I would go with the Northampton defeat and the total embarrassment at Stoke.

There have been a few contenders in the last 25 years, under Klopp I would have to go with getting horsed 3-0 at Watford, that was fucking grim.

• Upvote 1

Too many in recent years to pick out one that is genuinely worse than the others but i'll leave these all out here as contenders that, more than anything represent recent memories as I'm sure that a hell of a lot of our early 90's performances were just as bad, like Strasbourg as Jamespp mentioned:

Stoke 6-1

Northampton under the Owl

Leicester away last season, never seen as sure of a defeat as i was this one, the only people who didn't expect that kind of post-Ranieri sacking performance by Leicester seemingly were the players/management

96 cup final

Villa semi final in 2015

Wolves last season

in terms of a group of games, I think the 14/15 CL campaign under Rodgers was as bad a collection of European games that I've ever seen.

The Chelsea game with the slip from Stevie was the worst for me. Not how we played as such. but I am a real glass half-empty type and that was the only time in 25 years that I had let my guard down enough to even start to believe we were going to win the league.

I don't think I have ever been colder than that Hodgson night game with Wolves 

• Upvote 1

The Chelsea game with the slip from Stevie was the worst for me. Not how we played as such. but I am a real glass half-empty type and that was the only time in 25 years that I had let my guard down enough to even start to believe we were going to win the league.

It was inevitability of it that hurt the most. Not the slip by Gerrard but us fucking it up. I've never felt higher as a red than after that City game. Even more so than Istanbul. I genuinely thought it was ours and had tears in my eyes for hours after the final whistle. We only needed a draw against them fuckers and to lose like that was gut wrenching. I was fine up until the morning of that Chelsea game when my bottle went and I felt physically sick leading up too it. Maybe some of our players did too. 

I spent the rest of the day getting absolutely hammered then had to get up to get a train from Portsmouth to London for work. Searing heat, hungover to death and having to walk into an office full of cockney cunts gloating. Thats arguably the closest i've come to committing murder. 

Losing 3-0 in the Derby in 2006. Our heaviest defeat in a Derby since 1964.

Not only the worst result, but the worst performance in a Derby that I've witnessed, and one of the worst performances from a Liverpool side that I've ever seen, full stop.

We were absolutely woeful that day.

For me in the modern era it has to be the 3-3 against Palace due to the implications of that result. No matter any other teams fans say about Gerrards slip against Chelsea, it was that Palace game that changed the end of the season for us.

For me in the modern era it has to be the 3-3 against Palace due to the implications of that result. No matter any other teams fans say about Gerrards slip against Chelsea, it was that Palace game that changed the end of the season for us.

Between those results it was the chelsea result that was more crucial imo. Losing to chelsea took the chance of winning the league out of our hands.

We had to beat Palace by about 8-0 to win the league as City at the time had bankers in the games they had left which they won without breaking a sweat.

That Chelsea one was the day the dream died wasn't it - what happened at Palace is because of what happened in that Chelsea game...

That is probably the worst in years although the defeat at home to Swansea last season is the one that angered me most in recent times.

Sevilla in the UEFA Cup Final and the shithouse manner of it hurt badly too.