You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Removing people from history

Moctezuma

No worries. Next time I'll make sure to dress up my language and direct my ire at eugenicist, murdering, Tory scum in the appropriately snide, backhanded fashion to which they are accustomed.

If you're going to accuse folk of being eugenicists, at least learn what the term means. It refers to selective breeding to improve the genetic quality of the human race; it isn't a catch-all term that means being arsey to the disabled.

If you're going to accuse folk of being eugenicists, at least learn what the term means. It refers to selective breeding to improve the genetic quality of the human race; it isn't a catch-all term that means being arsey to the disabled.

Yeah, this is pretty disingenuous as well, Stronts.

• Upvote 2

Well this thread livened up. Hades is a baldy, which is why he's so angry. Too much sun on his nape.

Piston, oooh I could give you a slap for your anti bacon stance, you slag!

Turdseye can't high 10 due to it no longer being the 80s and still suffering from his dead arm probably. Maybe that's why he doesn't shave?

Tony - Nailed it with the coconut cremes, only thing that saved this thread.

ROTOQ - keep reaching for the stars! I think you're a clever retard, regardless what Hades or anyone else thinks.

I repped the arse jiggling gif because I liked it. And when I likes it, I reps it.

• Upvote 4

This thread is amazing.  In a bad way.

The OP suggests an interesting idea for discussion, and the discussion lasts ... approximately 10 posts or so, before it descends into bitter insults of the basest kind.  I'm not one for RAWK-style moderation but this thread is an exception.  I'd delete everything after Hades' first post and give it another try.  

It's genuinely a fascinating topic - how do you balance a desire to prevent historical censorship with a desire to be respectful to victims of oppression and injustice?  

How long it's been since the crime in question comes into it, whether a monument is perceived as "endorsing" the actions of the historical figure in question, etc.  I, for one, find it very interesting.

• Upvote 1

This thread is amazing. In a bad way.

The OP suggests an interesting idea for discussion, and the discussion lasts ... approximately 10 posts or so, before it descends into bitter insults of the basest kind. I'm not one for RAWK-style moderation but this thread is an exception. I'd delete everything after Hades' first post and give it another try.

It's genuinely a fascinating topic - how do you balance a desire to prevent historical censorship with a desire to be respectful to victims of oppression and injustice?

How long it's been since the crime in question comes into it, whether a monument is perceived as "endorsing" the actions of the historical figure in question, etc. I, for one, find it very interesting.

Take out the glorification, leave in the other stuff.

Mind you, re-runs of Jim'll fix it are unlikely to be that glorious, but I probably wouldn't think they were a good idea.

Well this thread went well, interesting to know that PistoBroke is avoiding Hepatitis E.

I reckon some of the people that are venerated now in public will be looked back on with significant disdain. In particular I would imagine the way education is conducted in the present will be seen as utterly bizarre in the future (i. e. children separated into classes by age rather than ability, learning in blocks of time that one could consider a military hangover etc.) that would not reflect favourably on champions of the educational conservatism.

Another prime example would be someone like Lord Lawson who consistently gets his stupid voice on the radio to come up with oil company funded guff about climate change.

I think the whole thing is ridiculous. If you're going to try to eliminate every trace of folk from history who weren't (if you'll excuse the pun) whiter than white, where does it end? Do we dynamite Mount Rushmore? Do we bulldoze Greek, Roman and Egyptian monuments because their societies employed slave labour?

They had this debate after the Gary glitter debacle regarding should his name or brick remain on the wall on Mathew street. People were saying it should be removed but in the end they left it on there.