You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Removing people from history

Moctezuma

How do I go about getting a mortal enemy on here? Is there a formal process or do I just go on Stronts' waiting list?

The only folk I've ever had an issue with on here are those who have launched unprovoked personal attacks on me, and that is utterly without exception.

I don't agree with the students. There would be people around the world who would have a problem with statues of people like Churchill or Nelson and there are people who think Gandhi was racist towards black South Africans or Nelson Mandela was a terrorist yet there will, rightly, be statues of them about. You can't rewrite history. I think there is a big difference in tearing down statues of Hitler in the immediate aftermath of the fall of Nazisim for example and removing a statue of someone who died over a hundred years ago.

I can't say I've given the issue much thought.  I suppose (off the top of my head) that it might depend on who put the statue up.

If some dictator or other sort of cunt put up a statue of himself for his own self-aggrandisement, then it's perfectly reasonable for his victims to want to topple the statue at the first opportunity.  

If the person has assumed a symbolic status in history, with repercussions into the present, then there may also be a case for removing the statue.  I'd see Rhodes in this category.  At the very least, it's healthy to have the debate about how a post-imperial nation should consider its imperial past and its legacy of racism.

Then there are statues of people who may have been (or fancied themselves as) a big noise in their day, but who are better forgotten now.  For example, I wouldn't be surprised if there were statues around Liverpool of people who made their names trading slaves.  There's no debate to be had around the slave trade - everyone accepts it was a cunt's trick - and the long-forgotten people who engaged in it are in no way symbolic of that particular evil today.  In those cases, you might as well leave the statues where they are.

I can't say I've given the issue much thought.  I suppose (off the top of my head) that it might depend on who put the statue up.

If some dictator or other sort of cunt put up a statue of himself for his own self-aggrandisement, then it's perfectly reasonable for his victims to want to topple the statue at the first opportunity.  

If the person has assumed a symbolic status in history, with repercussions into the present, then there may also be a case for removing the statue.  I'd see Rhodes in this category.  At the very least, it's healthy to have the debate about how a post-imperial nation should consider its imperial past and its legacy of racism.

Then there are statues of people who may have been (or fancied themselves as) a big noise in their day, but who are better forgotten now.  For example, I wouldn't be surprised if there were statues around Liverpool of people who made their names trading slaves.  There's no debate to be had around the slave trade - everyone accepts it was a cunt's trick - and the long-forgotten people who engaged in it are in no way symbolic of that particular evil today.  In those cases, you might as well leave the statues where they are.

I went to Liverpool Uni and the very first lecture we went to told us the entire city was built on slave money.

You can indulge in whatever rape apologetics you like. I will continue to call a rapist a rapist.

Aren't you always the first to squeak your pompous squeak about what a fine libertarian you are, who believes in the fundamental principles of justice for all?

And didn't you just call someone else a hypocrite?

My head's spinning.

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

Aren't you always the first to squeak your pompous squeak about what a fine libertarian you are, who believes in the fundamental principles of justice for all?

My head's spinning.

You forgot to mention the atrocities handed down from the Israelis towards Palestine.  Murdering bastards who a certain hypocritical cunt sticks up for because it fits his beliefs. Murder is obviously fine as long as they don't rape them first......which some of the cunts probably do. 

Guest Pistonbroke

What a thread this is. Haha.

At least you've kept all the hate on here though, not gone running to Twitter and people's employees and that....

The jury is out, time enough for SD to get someone sacked. 

If I do flame out, calling myself 'courageous' because I hold shithouse conservative views on a Liverpool forum, would certainly be included in the rant.

Oh you've done that bell end thing again. I didn't say I was courageous I just said I wasn't a coward.

My head's spinning.

Innocent until proven guilty does not mean ignoring overwhelming evidence that someone is a mass rapist. But you can believe that Cosby's 60+ victims are making it up if you want.

I went to Liverpool Uni and the very first lecture we went to told us the entire city was built on slave money.

Ever been to the Slavery Museum at the Albert Dock?

I like that about this city; not airbrushing or burying its history, but confronting it, face-to-face.

• Upvote 1

Innocent until proven guilty does not mean ignoring overwhelming evidence that someone is a mass rapist. But you can believe that Cosby's 60+ victims are making it up if you want.

What I believe is irrelevant.  If you've read some stuff from his accusers, then by all means express your views, but caveat them with the fact that he hasn't yet been tried, so the presumption of innocence must stand (rather than couching your views in a dollop of racist snarkiness that's even bad by your standards).