You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Positively Atheist Thread

Bjornebye

I'm assuming the 'positively atheist' thread is actually 'the anti-anything anybody did that's horrible in the name of a religion' thread?

Maybe don't assume and read the thread?

Especially as someone has already pointed out to you where the majority of the antagonism on the thread has come from.

If we're honest.

No, if we're honest it's been basically a thread where loads of people have a good old tedious moan about what arrogant cunts atheists are and then when they've tried to defend themselves, as usual, they get more shit for it.

Read the thread again. People falling over themselves to be the coolest thing you can be: morally superior to atheists. Sorry, "militant" atheists. Can't forget that these days.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Maybe don't assume and read the thread?

Ok. Did it. It is.

Especially as someone has already pointed out to you where the majority of the antagonism on the thread has come from.

With the greatest of respect, I'd not trust your impartiality on this subject. I was right not to.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

No, if we're honest it's been basically a thread where loads of people have a good old tedious moan about what arrogant cunts atheists are and then when they've tried to defend themselves, as usual, they get more shit for it.

Read the thread again. People falling over themselves to be the coolest thing you can be: morally superior to atheists. Sorry, "militant" atheists. Can't forget that these days.

Fucking hell, have a bigger chip on your shoulder. Morally superior? Fucking give over. I've never known another group get so defensive over 'the mere passive act of non belief'. I mean, that's all it is, right? That's what gets people the name 'militant'. It's so unfair. Anyway, back to the righteous quest of pre-judging a few billion people as mentally ill, clitoris cutting psychopaths.

• Upvote 1

Fucking hell, have a bigger chip on your shoulder. Morally superior? Fucking give over.

Nah. Every fucking time you get the same tedious shit about what total cunts this "new breed" of atheists are and how much more tolerant and progressive said posters are.

It's boring as fuck.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Nah. Every fucking time you get the same tedious shit about what total cunts this "new breed" of atheists are and how much more tolerant and progressive said posters are.

It's boring as fuck.

For me it's the other way around. The same old shit thrown about by atheists. I see very few statements of fact about religion by the religious. Just moral judgments dressed up as intellectually superiority.

For me it's the other way around. The same old shit thrown about by atheists. I see very few statements of fact about religion by the religious. Just moral judgments dressed up as intellectually superiority.

Well the religious generally stay well clear of fact; it's a tricky battleground for them. And given the time taken in debate here to talk about the grey area between atheism and agnosticism I'll presume you aren't going to suggest atheist are stating facts on that particular point of the vague idea of "god". 

When people try to bring facts like the actual things that actual people tell pollsters they support into the debate they are still attacked for stereotyping or misrepresenting. That's where we are. There's a bizarre arrogance from the liberal westerners that go to war for religion against those challenging it; a sense that they know better than the religious people themselves what they are thinking when they answer polls on their views. There's no honesty to it. To the real world. Being nice and doing the right thing aren't always synonymous. 

• Upvote 1

Funny thing though; if you don't think your views are morally and intellectually superior to others on offer then why do you still hold them? Especially the moral ones, which take no great education, intellect or reasoning power.

How far you are willing to go to try and sell these ideas and convert others is obviously a different topic but, you know; rather stands to reason doesn't it?

I think most of this thread recently has been fine. A few people opined that they think some unnamed people are a bit condescending in expressing their opinions. Rico posts a few "stupid religious people" links.

Otherwise there was a reasonable discussion around the areas between agnostic and atheism and razor 's good Christian stories. Not sure what the complaining is about.

I think most of this thread recently has been fine. A few people opined that they think some unnamed people are a bit condescending in expressing their opinions. Rico posts a few "stupid religious people" links.

Otherwise there was a reasonable discussion around the areas between agnostic and atheism and razor 's good Christian stories. Not sure what the complaining is about.

I read a great one yesterday, Christian nut jobs visiting the graves of long dead people and 'sucking' the Holy Spirit through the soil above the coffin - genius.

My main issue is people claiming that nowadays no one takes the books seriously and that the old man on a cloud vision of God is yesterday's news. Despite all the evidence saying that's not the case.