You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)

dennis tooth

9 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

We'll have to agree to disagree. He did more than respond to what was put to him. 

Fair enough. 

Id wager if he wasn’t Liverpool Captain he wouldn’t have even commented.

it went with the role and he said what he had to say, what any normal responsible person should or would say- did I read it and think- wow, Jordan Henderson feels strongly about this? Nope, in the same way I wouldn’t invest much in what Politicians/Royals and famous people in general say.

He’s certainly made a fool of himself- I don’t think he will be the last of our “hero’s” to do so in the next two years in the very same way 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Dave D said:

Fair enough. 

Id wager if he wasn’t Liverpool Captain he wouldn’t have even commented.

it went with the role and he said what he had to say, what any normal responsible person should or would say- did I read it and think- wow, Jordan Henderson feels strongly about this? Nope, in the same way I wouldn’t invest much in what Politicians/Royals and famous people in general say.

He’s certainly made a fool of himself- I don’t think he will be the last of our “hero’s” to do so in the next two years in the very same way 

I'm not sure people would have been as quick to listen if he wasn't Liverpool captain. He used the platform of the role to amplify his own views imo. Which I don't mind. But it now looks very hollow. We clearly see it differently as you think it's part of the job, I think it's something he's used his job to be able to do. 

I just hope he doesn't make the next captain to feel unable to speak out on social justice if they're minded to. 

3 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Like they've seen Henderson make a massive tit out of himself, get absolutely slaughtered, ruin his legacy in the eyes of many fans and think "it's easier to keep my mouth shut". 

I don't think I share the same hopes for our next Captain.

11 hours ago, Reckoner said:

Or are we being blinded by club loyalty ourselves?

Not at all. I don't think any of us would have begrudged Henderson a transfer to another top European League or even the USA. After last season any and all of our midfielders could have been shown the door. I think Henderson would still have had something to offer for another couple of seasons but his endorsement of murderous sportswashing cunts is a step too far for him to be given a previously fitting send off. He can simply fuck off now. While we are on the topic and while I've said we can't expect footballers to take the moral high ground (unless they already pretended to have done) any change would only come from a stand like Henderson,or others could have made. It seems being a footballer now absolves you from making slightly controversial decisions on morality. 

After more than six years, the International Criminal Court in The Hague closed its preliminary examination of war crimes by UK forces in Iraq. The decision from December 2020 reveals systematic failures of international justice and proves, once again, that powerful actors can get away with torture.

Sounds familiar eh?

29 minutes ago, Jurgen Knows said:

After more than six years, the International Criminal Court in The Hague closed its preliminary examination of war crimes by UK forces in Iraq. The decision from December 2020 reveals systematic failures of international justice and proves, once again, that powerful actors can get away with torture.

Sounds familiar eh?

Actors? Sound familiar eh?

1 hour ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Actors? Sound familiar eh?

Players are paid big money at Liverpool and other European teams as the clubs feel that they are worth that much to bring success to the team and to generate wealth for the club.

He was never paid to represent anything other than the club, and definitely not the UK government.

Why do you think they are paying so much more money to footballers in Saudi Arabia, when there is a lot less revenue to be made by being successful? 

Henderson and others are being used for something other than bringing success to a team or wealth to a club. What is the other thing? Should he (or any other footballer going there) be satisfied to be used for that? 

That is up to him, but posters here are commenting on his decision to represent whatever he is being paid enormous sums for, because it isn't just for El-Ettifaq FC. 

30 minutes ago, Razoray said:

Players are paid big money at Liverpool and other European teams as the clubs feel that they are worth that much to bring success to the team and to generate wealth for the club.

He was never paid to represent anything other than the club, and definitely not the UK government.

Why do you think they are paying so much more money to footballers in Saudi Arabia, when there is a lot less revenue to be made by being successful? 

Henderson and others are being used for something other than bringing success to a team or wealth to a club. What is the other thing? Should he (or any other footballer going there) be satisfied to be used for that? 

That is up to him, but posters here are commenting on his decision to represent whatever he is being paid enormous sums for, because it isn't just for El-Ettifaq FC. 

So you're saying that Jordy is a prostitute?

10 hours ago, Dave D said:

I liked this bit: "there is an obvious moral hypocrisy here [on the part of Henderson]. The Saudi league is a political project, an attempt to gain influence while distracting from incompatible levels of prejudice and a bloodthirsty human rights record."

What bit did you like, Dave?

1 minute ago, razor said:

I liked this bit: "there is an obvious moral hypocrisy here [on the part of Henderson]. The Saudi league is a political project, an attempt to gain influence while distracting from incompatible levels of prejudice and a bloodthirsty human rights record."

I liked the 'why is it only footballers harangued for these decisions?' Well it obviously isn't just footballers except for those who endorse sportswashing projects after previously backing, very publicly,communities whose very lives would be at risk simply departing their aeroplane there. 

2 hours ago, razor said:

The Journalists name

On 20/07/2023 at 20:09, Poor Scouser T said:

Good luck to him. Big money and that's him and his set for generations. We had his best so it will not get better than last season. Good move for all concerned.

Him and his set for generations? 

What ever happened to education and having a career of some kind. He's a cunt - fuck him

6 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I liked the 'why is it only footballers harangued for these decisions?' Well it obviously isn't just footballers except for those who endorse sportswashing projects after previously backing, very publicly,communities whose very lives would be at risk simply departing their aeroplane there. 

Other footballers who didn't front moral crusades have definitely been criticised and ridiculed for going there for the money. The haranguing isn't reserved for Henderson based on being a LGBT ally.

Ronaldo was ridiculed when he went there. Messi has been criticised for taking money as a Saudi Ambassador. Firmino got called out too by people for going there despite being a born again Christian. More players were initially criticised.

The disdain and criticism for footballers going to Saudi is decreasing now though because more are accepting it is not just a fad. And more fans are seeing their clubs benefit from transfer fees for players who might be surplus.

• Upvote 1

• dave u changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)
17 hours ago, Dave D said:

Very good articles. The Henderson one is especially more balanced and nuanced than the hysterical responses and OTT outrage many have exhibited.

Barney Ronay also does a consistent job calling out the UK for regularly selling billions of pounds worth of weapons to the Saudis. Weapons which are then used to bomb Yemen. This is something so many people in the UK turn a blind eye to and instead save their selective outrage for footballers who are simply looking for a tiny bit of the oil rich pie.

• Upvote 3

No country is innocent from crimes against humanity it's just handy now to pick on the Arab nation's. Throughout history for example the English have been murdering cunts so  nobody has the right to take the moral high ground. 

Best of luck to hendo, he's given the team everything in his time here and is the most successful captain ever in Liverpool history. 

• Upvote 1