You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mike Gordon of the transfer committee

dennis tooth

It's only half the problem. The fact that Rodgers insists on picking Balotelli when fit, Johnson and Lovren, and playing SG as a DM for 90 minutes every game, as well as playing one up front is the other half. He's tactically certifiable.

Assuming hes even picking the team. Before you ask it would not surprise me one bit.

I mean they may not be telling him who to pick exactly but buying players and foistering them on Rodgers with the words

'Im Mike Gordon, No one is above me who is not in Boston, EVERYONE AT BOSTON LOVES ME ANYWAY, Ive got rid of Kenny Dalglish, smearing him in the press and making the LFC fans think he was finished then Ive since taken full control of transfers under the guise of a committee that defers to me, heres some players Ive identified, of course, its entirely up to you if you play them or not...'

It looks like Rodgers/Ayre are briefing Bascombe/Dave Kidd and telling all the hangerons that Rodgers has his hands tied. Every manager has his hands tied. Anyway, the reason we ended up with the Donkey Lovren, is purely down to Rodgers. He killed Agger and did not want rate Sakho. Toure who has not been infected by Rodgers cowboy defending gets splinters sitting on the bench watching Lovren make a fool of himself. Why Mignolet, again Rodgers fell out/did not rate Reina. Rodgers has made his own mess, but wants others to clean his shit up and get poo all over them. It will probably work as maybe it will cost too much to send everyone to Boston.

Maybe they are briefing the press, anything is possible but I do think theres a bit of conjecture on your part with some of that.

Not to say you're wrong, I have no idea. I doubt anyone does at the minute. 

Maybe they looked at the club's performance since 1990 and thought even so called people with football experience had made a cack hand of it?

Things have moved on since the nineties even if Moores still has a lot to answer for in letting Utd and Arsenal get away from us.

Then they should have taken close look at City and Chelsea to the see the kind of investment required . Why would they think they could re-invent the wheel.  Spend silly amounts of money attract the best players , sell most of them , buy more until you end up with a squad that can delivery silverware. They gambled their more limited , but not insignificant , millions on some magic beans.

every player signed was highly rated in the premier league or in Europe.

balotelli was the wildcard albeit a well decorated one with premier league experience.

Heres hoping at least in future our scouts do more homework than you before signing a player, anyone who knows anything about him knows he is toxic. 

As much as Suarez is gone Balotelli is just as much a reason for our turn for the shitter.

The most striking part about that, is wasting our money on the stadium, so he can maximise his return. Unless we are using "triggers broom" as an example of how to keep anfield, then it's going to need a replacement sooner rather than later, except next time we won't be able to get sole planning permission for the park.

Anison or Goodfield stadium opening 2025. You heard it hear first.

“Your biggest expenditure line can’t be the whim of any individual.”

That's great, nice snappy bit of business speak there from Ayre who, let's remember, was originally brought in to oversee the commercial arm of the club.

Thing is, if that individual is the one who is expected to put a team on the pitch and the one who will ultimately carry the can if it goes tits up, tying one hand behind his back by empowering a salesman who happens to be a lifelong fan but has no football experience with some say over transfer dealings isn't really my idea of a level playing field.

Obviously there has to be some kind of executive oversight purely from a point of sound financial management, I don't think anybody expects a manager to be given a blank chequebook because it's not just about fees, it's about wages (which I would hope the manager has no involvement in negotiating because it's not his area of expertise) but 'committee' suggests far more than that.  It should be a case of the manager telling the club who he wants and the club simply telling him whether we can afford them or not and what the implications are for his remaining funds.  I'm sure Rodgers doesn't give these people the benefit of his financial advice and he shouldn't be expected to give any time to their views on football matters.

As for Gordon, he may be the FSG guy with the greatest knowledge of football but considering the rest of them know the square root of fuck all about it, that's hardly a recommendation.

Managers pick the players and get sacked if they are shite.  Owners sign cheques and trust that the manager they appointed knows what he's doing.

• Upvote 1

Managers pick the players and get sacked if they are shite.  Owners sign cheques and trust that the manager they appointed knows what he's doing.

Exactly, they need to do the hard work in selecting the manager and evaluating his performance, not in attempting to micro manage him after he's hired.

It looks like Rodgers/Ayre are briefing Bascombe/Dave Kidd and telling all the hangerons that Rodgers has his hands tied. Every manager has his hands tied. Anyway, the reason we ended up with the Donkey Lovren, is purely down to Rodgers. He killed Agger and did not want rate Sakho. Toure who has not been infected by Rodgers cowboy defending gets splinters sitting on the bench watching Lovren make a fool of himself. Why Mignolet, again Rodgers fell out/did not rate Reina. Rodgers has made his own mess, but wants others to clean his shit up and get poo all over them. It will probably work as maybe it will cost too much to send everyone to Boston.

Have to agree.  The only managers with an open cheque book are at City and Chelsea. Even roman is trying to slow that down.

Not having this Rodgers has little say in the transfers bollocks.  Rodgers picked Allen, Borini, Lallana & Lovren. No doubt about that. Yep others may well have been committee decisions but if Rodgers said no to the player then he simple would not have been bought.

That said the committee is a fucking shambles & needs binning off.  There are many reasons for this but the stand out one is obviously none of them can spot a good player even if it meant life or death

• Upvote 1

I think this should put to bed any blame shifting. He has at least 2 mates on this transfer committee, and confirms he has final say on Transfers.

But Rodgers, who insists his say is final on transfer targets, is confident Liverpool have corrected a major flaw from their approach to the last transfer window. He said: "I've had long chats with the owners. Our scouting team wasn't in place. I've seen one or two things written about a technical team but every football club has a technical team. Let's not say we are trying to reinvent the wheel here. We had a manager but we didn't have a scouting department. Thankfully those guys have now come in and hopefully they'll do a terrific job.

"Operationally these are things we needed to sort out as well as learning from the process. It's a new manager, working with a new group of people. I'm sure the owners will have gone away and reflected on things. We had a couple of good conversations with them, and we learn from that and move on."

Rodgers and Hunter were at Reading together and, despite not instigating the arrivals, the manager insisted: "They were appointments I was fully aware of. I've known Barry for a long time and Dave also. Dave was already in the offing to come here. From Dave's position, he would only accept the job if someone like myself was coming in."

The head of analytics, Michael Edwards, remains part of the team around Rodgers. The manager, seeking his first league win with Liverpool at Sunderland on Saturday, added: "I can only repeat what I said when I came here – I'm not a power freak. I don't need to do everything on my own. The modern-day manager can't do that. But you have the final say on players, there's absolutely no question about that. If I want a player and we can't afford it, that's a different matter. Then it comes back to availability and affordability."

We didn't have a scouting department?

Christ on a fucking bike. It's like doing a file on FM with a League 2 side, spending an hour or so getting everything organised when you first take over at a club, all ready, here we go, FUCK, we haven't got any coaches. Knew I'd forgotten something.

• Upvote 1

The whole fucking transfer protocol whether it is Rodgers, Ayre this Gordon character or the man in the fucking moon identifying and negotiating the purchase of target is completely unfit for purpose . You don't have to know the inner workings of the club to work that out. The results are there in plain sight, Torturous long drawn out negotiations often ending in failure and the over hyped ,over priced and 2nd rate players we often end up with tell their own story,

• Upvote 1

Am I the only one that thinks the word "committee" is the only difference in our transfer dealings?

I'm only guessing of course. But id gather at utd for instance the chief scout have a list of player which have been compiled by his network of scouts. They then present these options to the manager. The manager then approaches the chief executive with his choice.

So people really think Ian ayre comes in. "alright lads, I was watching Monday night football last night and carra reckons Lovren is the bollox. So I don't give a shit what any of you think. We're signing him"

Of course it doesn't. We're all getting preoccupied with the word committee, when in reality, it's no different to other clubs.

• Upvote 1

Am I the only one that thinks the word "committee" is the only difference in our transfer dealings?

I'm only guessing of course. But id gather at utd for instance the chief scout have a list of player which have been compiled by his network of scouts. They then present these options to the manager. The manager then approaches the chief executive with his choice.

So people really think Ian ayre comes in. "alright lads, I was watching Monday night football last night and carra reckons Lovren is the bollox. So I don't give a shit what any of you think. We're signing him"

Of course it doesn't. We're all getting preoccupied with the word committee, when in reality, it's no different to other clubs.

Totally agree, the only difference is they probably just get together round a table and natter about it over biscuits