You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The shitness of modern football

Lurtz

Referring to playing someone "as a six".

Firstly, fuck off.

Number 6 is a centre halfs number as far as I'm concerned.

I can see argument for it being a midfielder, but 5 and six at centre half with 4 the less attacking centre mid is what I'm calling.

I can live with 4 and 5 at the back, and 6 in midfield, or 4 and 6 with Ronnie Whelan bossing things as number 5. I'm ok with that too.

But, generally, A number 6 is a centre back.

The only difinitive position in midfielder you can categorically explain as a number is 8, a box to box cm.

We know what a number 9 is - sufficiently so that we can describe a false one - and we know what a number ten is, but fuck off with your description of someone playing as a 6.

Klopp used it on that sky MNF thing, and I almost lost respect for him but then I let him off due to cultural differences and knowing it could mean something in Germany, but not here it doesn't.

After that, if you're English and using it on an internet football forum you're a cunt who just regurgitates what he hears others say. To me, you're bang average.

You also probably started watching games after squad numbers came in, so a number 6 means about as much as a number 71.

For the record;

Number 1 = goalie

2 = right back

3 = left back

4, 5 & 6 = centre back or less attacking centre mid

7 = right wing or off the striker

8 = centre mid

9 = striker

10 = left wing or off the striker (you can say what you like, but John Barnes down the wing with chalk on his boots screams number 10 to me)

11 = left wing

• Upvote 2

Referring to playing someone "as a six".

Firstly, fuck off.

Number 6 is a centre halfs number as far as I'm concerned.

I can see argument for it being a midfielder, but 5 and six at centre half with 4 the less attacking centre mid is what I'm calling.

I can live with 4 and 5 at the back, and 6 in midfield, or 4 and 6 with Ronnie Whelan bossing things as number 5. I'm ok with that too.

But, generally, A number 6 is a centre back.

The only difinitive position in midfielder you can categorically explain as a number is 8, a box to box cm.

We know what a number 9 is - sufficiently so that we can describe a false one - and we know what a number ten is, but fuck off with your description of someone playing as a 6.

Klopp used it on that sky MNF thing, and I almost lost respect for him but then I let him off due to cultural differences and knowing it could mean something in Germany, but not here it doesn't.

After that, if you're English and using it on an internet football forum you're a cunt who just regurgitates what he hears others say. To me, you're bang average.

You also probably started watching games after squad numbers came in, so a number 6 means about as much as a number 71.

For the record;

Number 1 = goalie

2 = right back

3 = left back

4, 5 & 6 = centre back or less attacking centre mid

7 = right wing or off the striker

8 = centre mid

9 = striker

10 = left wing or off the striker (you can say what you like, but John Barnes down the wing with chalk on his boots screams number 10 to me)

11 = left wing

Blame modern coaching courses for this.

I read the board's recently-acquired football coach / football genius use that exact phrase in a recent post.

Says it all.

These stupid, slow, stuttering run ups players are doing for penalties these days. e.g. Benteke last weekend, Neymar the other night, Pogba yesterday, Zaza at the Euros. More often than not players seem to end up missing when they dick about in the run up which is karma as far as I'm concerned. 

The Ballon D'or. It's become more and more just a list of Real Madrid and Barcelona players with a smattering of players from other clubs, only to end up being given to one of Messi or Ronaldo anyway depending on which one of them won the biggest prizes that year, disregarding their actual impact. Real Madrid's James Rodriguez is on the shortlist and he's been inconsistent and bit-part at best. With that form, if he wasn't at one of Spain's big two he'd be nowhere near the shortlist.

The last player to win it and NOT ever have played for Real or Barca was Shevchenko, in 2004. In the last 20 years, the only other 2 players to do that were Nedved in 2003, and Sammer in 1996.

The Ballon D'or. It's become more and more just a list of Real Madrid and Barcelona players with a smattering of players from other clubs, only to end up being given to one of Messi or Ronaldo anyway depending on which one of them won the biggest prizes that year, disregarding their actual impact. Real Madrid's James Rodriguez is on the shortlist and he's been inconsistent and bit-part at best. With that form, if he wasn't at one of Spain's big two he'd be nowhere near the shortlist.

The last player to win it and NOT ever have played for Real or Barca was Shevchenko, in 2004. In the last 20 years, the only other 2 players to do that were Nedved in 2003, and Sammer in 1996.

Renato Sanches has won the Golden Boy award for Europe’s best young player, pipping England international Marcus Rashford for the prize.

The Portugal midfielder, still just 19, won a European Championship this year - the first in his nation’s history - to go with a Portuguese league title.

Rashford, who burst onto the scene with a brace in the Europa League knockout rounds in February, had a sensational first few months in the Premier League and won a place in the England squad for Euro 2016.

Yeah – must have been really close between a European Championship winner and someone who scored a brace in the Europa League knockout rounds…

Tbf Messi and Ronaldo are two all time greats who've been miles ahead of everyone else for years now.   Only recently has Suarez looked close to on par with those two.