You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Which fictional world would you live in?

Stu Monty

The world of Ursula Le Guin's The Dispossessed. An anarchist collectivist post-technological society without any power structures where the very language used is utopian and non-ego driven.

The language spoken on the anarchist planet Anarres, Pravic, is a constructed language that reflects many aspects of the philosophical foundations of utopian anarchism. For instance, the use of the possessive case is strongly discouraged (a feature that also is reflected by the novel's title). Children are trained to speak only about matters that interest others; anything else is "egoizing" (pp. 28–31). There is no property ownership of any kind. Shevek's daughter, upon meeting him for the first time, tells him, "You can share the handkerchief I use,"[7] rather than "You may borrow my handkerchief", thus conveying the idea that the handkerchief is not owned by the girl, merely used by her.

• Upvote 2

Very Good.

Great read when I was younger, really quite imaginative too, not sure if they've stood the test of time or not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaea_trilogy

I'll let you know in a week. I've just downloaded them. I'm going to do gaia vs. gaea. I'm already pretty sure Hades will be disappointed in your choice. Let's see what you've traded a universal, collectivist consciousness for.

I weighed bombing up and down the river on Riverworld with Mark Twain, Richard Burton and Cyrano de Begerac against communing with Saltheart Foamfollower and the Wraiths of Andelain in Stephen Donaldson's pre-Foul'ed 'The Land'.

In the battle between my inner action-hero and inveterate tree-hugger, though there could only be one winner, the mad-man. So look me up at 'The Magic Theatre. Not for everyone".

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

The world of Ursula Le Guin's The Dispossessed. An anarchist collectivist post-technological society without any power structures where the very language used is utopian and non-ego driven.

The language spoken on the anarchist planet Anarres, Pravic, is a constructed language that reflects many aspects of the philosophical foundations of utopian anarchism. For instance, the use of the possessive case is strongly discouraged (a feature that also is reflected by the novel's title). Children are trained to speak only about matters that interest others; anything else is "egoizing" (pp. 28–31). There is no property ownership of any kind. Shevek's daughter, upon meeting him for the first time, tells him, "You can share the handkerchief I use,"[7] rather than "You may borrow my handkerchief", thus conveying the idea that the handkerchief is not owned by the girl, merely used by her.

Just finished that.  Quite interesting.  You wouldn't actually want to live there though would you.  Bleak place in the process of being subconsciously willed into recentralization.  Newspeak > Pravic

Repped for Ursula Le Guin. I've read one of her books and she's a great writer. Will edit once I find the name of what book it was. (edit : The Telling, great book.) I've got the Earthsea Quartet as well, started reading it but left it because I was really going off reading fiction at the time, should go back to it shortly.

As for the thread question, too hard to answer, so I'll pass for now.

edit : possibly the fictional world of Magic The Gathering, and I'd take my chance on trying to become a Planeswalker. (my favourite is Jace.)