You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Do you like looking at maps?

Moctezuma

Interesting when you see other projections... there's all sorts of theories about the Mercator scale designed to make certain regions look bigger!

It's no wonder kids think Brazil can't really be that much bigger than the UK, and Americans can't grasp the true size of Africa.

I heard it can take both hands to grasp the true size of Africa.

• Upvote 1

Maps are one of my aspie pleasures, I can look at them for hours.  Google maps / earth is amazing.  I love to find somewhere I've never been in satellite mode then hit the ol' street view and start cruising around.  God bless those guys who drive in the Google Streetview van.  They are the real heroes.

• Upvote 1

I fuckin' love maps.

When my Missus refuses to use them I tell her that someone has gone to the trouble of drawing Britain TO SCALE and furthermore he has joined up the town we are in, to the town we want to go to...with accurate lines representing the actual roads we need! Mind you...it doesn't help her. To her it may as well be China.

You know what is fucking amazing about maps? When Captain Bligh - who was a bloody hero by the way - was cast adrift he and his men rowed thousands of miles through uncharted waters to safety. While he was starving in that open top rowing boat, he recognised his duty as a seafaring officer was to chart the waters. The maps that he drew were still used in the 1930's. Amazing stuff.

• Upvote 2

I have been a cartographer and surveyor with Ordnance Survey for over 40 years.

Love paper maps. Digital and GPS are the way forward but nothing like browsing paper maps.

Sat nav has destroyed the skill of spatial awareness.

• Upvote 5

I refuse to use sat nav. Just give me a few minutes to look at the maps and I'll bodge my way there, way more fun. Even then it's always two main roads then finding your way over the last mile. GPS on my phone is a safety net, but one I don't like using.

Yes is the short answer. Sat navs are good but there's nothing like a decent map - especially if you're going on a tour. You can look at a map and decide to go off the beaten track and see something different whereas sat navs can only give you a route from A to B.

I'm with you on this. They perform 2 different functions for me. Satnav does the functional getting you from A to B stuff but a map shows you so much more.

I love old maps of places, towns and cities, especially those I know and seeing how they developed. Did anyone see the  BBC2 series Secret History of Our Streets a little while back, which charted the development of a particular area in each of the episodes? Love all that stuff.

And for plotting your way around an area you are visiting, maps cant be beaten

Yep, best bit of looking forward to a holiday is spending an evening going over a map and planning where you will go each day

Are you Mr Champ in disguise? I actually really dont like pre planning to that extent. I want to get to a place, get my bearings and then decide what I'm going to do. Then thats where the maps come in. In my book