You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Game of Thrones

Kevin D

Who do you want on the Iron Throne?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

2 hours ago, johnsusername said:

I saw a fella earlier on wearing a Game of Thrones t-shirt and my first thought was "fuck me that last series was gash". 

Takes some effort to torpedo the whole reputation of a brilliant show with a bafflingly shit final series. 

Yeah they ruined the whole fucking show the complete Muppets.

• Upvote 2

Doesn't help that the wealthy author of the books has decided to down tools after the first three books, leaving the TV show's writers to their own devices to come up with their own ideas. It seems the show was great while it had books to draw from but struggled a bit without them.

Ed fucking Sheeran?

23 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Doesn't help that the wealthy author of the books has decided to down tools after the first three books, leaving the TV show's writers to their own devices to come up with their own ideas. It seems the show was great while it had books to draw from but struggled a bit without them.

Ed fucking Sheeran?

He wrote 5. I’m still waiting on winds of winter. 

15 minutes ago, JagSquared said:

He wrote 5. I’m still waiting on winds of winter. 

Just checking you were paying attention. That ties in to how great the first five seasons were.

I'll have to check which ones I have as I thought I purchased them all on Kindle and I'll be interested to see which ones I have/have not got.

Edit: I have all five -  bit of a giveaway that the bundle is called Game of Thrones Books 1-5...

A GAME OF THRONES
A CLASH OF KINGS
A STORM OF SWORDS, 1: STEEL AND SNOW
A STORM OF SWORDS, 2: BLOOD AND GOLD
A FEAST FOR CROWS
A DANCE WITH DRAGONS, 1: DREAMS AND DUST
A DANCE WITH DRAGONS, 2: AFTER THE FEAST
Preview chapter of THE WINDS OF WINTER

5 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Been watching this again, fucking hell at its best it was something else. The scenes between Tywen and The nan from High Garden are gold. Tywen is up there in the top 20 villains of all time for me.

Tywin's very first scene, when he was butchering a boar or something with his back to Jamie, I felt genuinely unnerved watching him.  He just had such an air of authority coupled by menace.  

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

Tywin's very first scene, when he was butchering a boar or something with his back to Jamie, I felt genuinely unnerved watching him.  He just had such an air of authority coupled by menace.  

Charles Dance is an outrageously good actor. He even elevated Alien 3 to being a good film (the director's cut anyway) 

57 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

Always used to get 80's Charles Dance mixed up with the Mr Rooney character from Ferris Bueller

Didn’t that actor in FBDO get found out to be a bit of a nonce?

charles dance is fantastic though. His interactions with his children were brilliantly written. 

the show itself was on course to being one of the best tv shows of all time, It was everywhere but now no one really talks about it. That’s how bad that final season was. The one before was poor but had some redeeming elements.

15 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

I must be one of the only people that hadn't seen Charles Dance in anything before watching Game of Thrones. I remember saying to my Mrs that I was surprised the actor that played him hadn't really done anything before it, to which she corrected me at length. 

I'd only seen him in Last Action Hero, he's one of those actors that suits being old, like Stewart and McKellen. 

Martin came to the UK to do some research about the war of the roses before writing it (Lannister/Lancaster, York/Stark), I always wondered if he made it to Bolton and realised what an absolute hole it was, and that's why the family he based on it are all cunts. 

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

We've started it again. Got it on now. I'm enjoying it more than the first time around. One thing I have picked up on that despite being a "goody" in it, Arya Stark just causes murder everywhere she goes.  

Arya has just bumped into the Red witch on the road, in a scene that I don't remember at all from my first viewing.

It's boss, even the last series, while inferior to what went before, is better than 99% of telly. The night king battle is unreal, you end up watching it and just shaking your head, especially the bit where the Dothraki charge and their swords all blink out one by one.. 

It's got great rewatch value too because it's so complex and there's so much going on, you forget lots of it.

• Upvote 2