You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

4 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

IMG_0487.jpegMy allotment in full bloom as captured by the reluctant and very very occasional visitor mrs Willard. That’s me top right peering angrily at an underperforming dahlia. 

You’re a tree? I wouldn’t have guessed that. 

Who’s the chap, more towards the centre? He looks suspicious, you should keep your eyes on him, rather than the dahlias. I reckon he’ll be after your good lady, the minute your back is turned. 

12 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

You’re a tree? I wouldn’t have guessed that. 

Who’s the chap, more towards the centre? He looks suspicious, you should keep your eyes on him, rather than the dahlias. I reckon he’ll be after your good lady, the minute your back is turned. 

That’s my new African female neighbour. She’s growing massive sweetcorn as per top left. 

• Upvote 1

On 26/08/2023 at 23:17, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Took on a new allotment the other day.  Spent this morning trying to tidy up some rubbish and clear some weeds.

IMG20230826111431.jpg

Lots of potential there. If I was you, I’d cut it all back with a hired Strimmer, spray the remaining foilage with weed killer, cover the whole plot with sheets of weed block and come back in march. 

5 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

Lots of potential there. If I was you, I’d cut it all back with a hired Strimmer, spray the remaining foilage with weed killer, cover the whole plot with sheets of weed block and come back in march. 

Decision time, Angry. To be organic or not.

Pick a side

Been an ok this year, made difficult due to constant pissing down and having an abscess and op on me arse. 
carrots have been sound and the second crop will be even better.

Alliums ok ish, problem mainly due to not being able to de-weed. 
Garlic pretty much the same but the whiff of the garlic in the air when digging them up goes to back what Mrs Butty says about size not being important.

Spuds boss, peppers sound, Aubergine disaster, Courgettes good, cucumber really good, beetroot TBC’d, sweetcorn again another tbc’d and chillis as ever spot on.

IMG_9083.jpeg

IMG_9084.jpeg

IMG_9082.jpeg

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, Champ said:

Decision time, Angry. To be organic or not.

Pick a side

I'm going to avoid weedkiller and pesticides as much as I can; I spotted a cat there today and I'd have nightmares about making him sick.

I've weeded one bed and covered it up, like Willard says.  Fucking hard work in this weather, but I need the exercise, so it's all good.

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I'm going to avoid weedkiller and pesticides as much as I can; I spotted a cat there today and I'd have nightmares about making him sick.

I've weeded one bed and covered it up, like Willard says.  Fucking hard work in this weather, but I need the exercise, so it's all good.

I’ve no idea what ‘weed block’ is but I’d go with cardboard, which has the dual benefit of breaking down to enrich the soil too

10 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

IMG_0487.jpegMy allotment in full bloom as captured by the reluctant and very very occasional visitor mrs Willard. That’s me top right peering angrily at an underperforming dahlia. 

My dahlias have hardly done anything. To date I’ve only got one flowering although there’s another one that is now producing buds. So disappointing after only growing them for the first time last year. I thought it was just me or have others struggled too?

4 hours ago, Chip Butty said:

Been an ok this year, made difficult due to constant pissing down and having an abscess and op on me arse. 
carrots have been sound and the second crop will be even better.

Alliums ok ish, problem mainly due to not being able to de-weed. 
Garlic pretty much the same but the whiff of the garlic in the air when digging them up goes to back what Mrs Butty says about size not being important.

Spuds boss, peppers sound, Aubergine disaster, Courgettes good, cucumber really good, beetroot TBC’d, sweetcorn again another tbc’d and chillis as ever spot on.

IMG_9083.jpeg

IMG_9084.jpeg

IMG_9082.jpeg

Chip Butty, take a bow! That sounds like an amazing return. 
As I’ve just mentioned my dahlias have been hopeless but my tomatoes have been fabulous. So much better then last year when I think they just got too hot. Could that be a thing? I’ve only ever grown them in the greenhouse but I’m tempted to give growing them outside a go with all the watering that they seem to demand under glass

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Champ said:

What’s your plan for your allotment, Angry?

I've not really thought it through that much.  Probably go for some veg and stuff, rather than flowers.  It will take a fair bit of tidying, because some of the other allotment holders used it to dump stuff when it was unoccupied.  I might start simple with stuff I've grown before, like courgettes, cucumbers and cauliflowers.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Champ said:

My dahlias have hardly done anything. To date I’ve only got one flowering although there’s another one that is now producing buds. So disappointing after only growing them for the first time last year. I thought it was just me or have others struggled too?

DM me if you want some tubers in the spring. I am planning to divide the plants I’ve got so will have a few spare. I think they will survive the post. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I've not really thought it through that much.  Probably go for some veg and stuff, rather than flowers.  It will take a fair bit of tidying, because some of the other allotment holders used it to dump stuff when it was unoccupied.  I might start simple with stuff I've grown before, like courgettes, cucumbers and cauliflowers.

I think you need to go organic then.

It's not wrong to use some chems on flowers/shrubs imo.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Potatoes are super easy and good for breaking up old soil. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

Planted some new grass by the border about a month ago and the roots are all desd already. Our garden dips in places so don't know it's because all the rain has basically fucking drowned it or what. I'm Saw Boss in reverse.

Are you sure it’s dead? Grass is remarkably resilient