You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is Rodgers becoming a laughing stock?

Megadrive Man

An excellent post, and analysis, in full.

I agree we cannot afford another managerial change. Equally, with Ayre and FSG in situ, I have no confidence that a CL qualifying challenge is likely.

well lets just wait and see what next season brings!! ROME WAS NOT BUILT IN A DAY ... and it took us a few years to conquer it!!!

This season has by no means been a disaster when we consider our previous 3 seasons. We've stabilised and we've progressed as the season has gone by, our defence have improved and we seem to have bought well. I'm hopeful and cautiously excited about next season.

Last season was not a disaster, can't accept that.

We're right up there with the best defences in the league this second half of the season. It's only this last weekend we've fallen outside the top four on points when judging the second half of the season. However, with the fixtures the way they're set, it wouldn't surprise me to see us start next season on the back of half a season of top four form. That's a decent platform to build on next season and in the summer.

No it is not.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I was using 'only' colloquially. I don't mean we've not been outside the top four in the second half of the season, I mean that we've 'only just' dropped out this weekend, having previously been in the top four on second half results. We'd now be a couple of points off fourth on second half form. We've picked up 30 points with 6 more to play for. We've been right in the mix with Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs over the back half of this season. Going into next season, that gives me some hope that we can kick on and challenge the top four. At least if we can repeat the quality of the Winter signings.

You wouldn't agree, of course, because you hate Rodgers and therefore the future is bleak and we're likely going down.

I was using 'only' colloquially. I don't mean we've not been outside the top four in the second half of the season, I mean that we've 'only just' dropped out this weekend, having previously been in the top four on second half results. We'd now be a couple of points off fourth on second half form. We've picked up 30 points with 6 more to play for. We've been right in the mix with Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs over the back half of this season. Going into next season, that gives me some hope that we can kick on and challenge the top four. At least if we can repeat the quality of the Winter signings.

You wouldn't agree, of course, because you hate Rodgers and therefore the future is bleak and we're likely going down.

Whilst I agree with the bulk of what you are saying, sadly second half performance if you draw or lose mean nothing in the scheme of things.

Looking good or playing well and not getting those vital points, does not a decent team make.

We have started to look like a decent team, with some very very good displays of what as a team we can do, but again, unless we win the game, it means virtually nothing.

Anyone can can go out and play fancy tactics or keep possession for the majority of a game etc, but unless the end result is a win, then whats the point? seriously?

I would rather look and play like stoke, but win games, then look like a cheap version of Barca and not.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Whilst I agree with the bulk of what you are saying, sadly second half performance if you draw or lose mean nothing in the scheme of things.

Second half of the season, doughnut.

Looking good or playing well and not getting those vital points, does not a decent team make.

We have started to look like a decent team, with some very very good displays of what as a team we can do, but again, unless we win the game, it means virtually nothing.

Anyone can can go out and play fancy tactics or keep possession for the majority of a game etc, but unless the end result is a win, then whats the point? seriously?

Nah, nah... you're not getting it, mate. After the first half a season - the first 19 games - we've been doing pretty well. Conceded around the fewest goals, scored more than anybody bar United, picked up enough points to be in or around the top four.

I would rather look and play like stoke, but win games, then look like a cheap version of Barca and not.

I'd sooner build a team capable of winning more than Stoke could ever hope of. Unfortunately, that takes time.

Rodgers was handed the worst Liverpool team in 20 years to build from. I'm not going to blame him for taking 12 months to sort that out.

He'd also be well within his rights to point out that Reina, Skrtel and Agger made his life impossible for 6 months by putting in indefensible shifts, that Lucas has taken until May to get going after his injuries, and that hefty injuries have robbed him of Borini and Allen for most of this season, and that added issue that we had just one fit striker because he had the rug pulled from under him with the Dempsey deal.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Rodgers was handed the worst Liverpool team in 20 years to build from. I'm not going to blame him for taking 12 months to sort that out.

He'd also be well within his rights to point out that Reina, Skrtel and Agger made his life impossible for 6 months by putting in indefensible shifts, that Lucas has taken until May to get going after his injuries, and that hefty injuries have robbed him of Borini and Allen for most of this season, and that added issue that we had just one fit striker because he had the rug pulled from under him with the Dempsey deal.

Yeap, they were a really tough first 19 games. I don't know how anybody can say we've not made progress since then, though. Since he has had a chance to bring in some attacking quality, we've done much better. Much better defensively, much better attacking the goal. Perfect? Fuck no. We're miles away from that, but we've really picked up.

However, because we're going into next season in a much better run of form than we came into this one, we need to see another step up next season and with the right players coming in. Fair?

Second half of the season, doughnut.

Nah, nah... you're not getting it, mate. After the first half a season - the first 19 games - we've been doing pretty well. Conceded around the fewest goals, scored more than anybody bar United, picked up enough points to be in or around the top four.

I'd sooner build a team capable of winning more than Stoke could ever hope of. Unfortunately, that takes time.

Apologies for the start then, mistook misread your point and intention.

Would still rather win while playing like stoke, than lose.draw and play like whoever BR wants us to play like though.

Stoke, WBA, whoever, the style means nothing unless we actually win, that was my point.

He is a terrible manager and one of the tactically weakest in the league. We had a catastrophic season.

He should be replaced, but he won't, because the people owning and running Liverpool F.C. don't really care, they have no vision and they are not smart enough either.

If we improve the same way that we have this year - we will be challenging for the top four!

Nice one, your jokes are ace! Are you appearing at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival this summer?

There is no doubt he needs to improve as well, defensively he needs to work on making is tighter. But I remember Piscinin pointing to Maxi, Kuyt, Bellamy and Caroll and asking where their 29 goals were going to come from - well that hasn't been a problem, he was accused of being tied to his 'system' - he has used different formations, seen us mix up play a lot more as the season has progressed and basically proven himself to be more flexible than he was ever given credit for.

But whilst I don't agree with the season being a disaster (not sure what being in the top 6 in September and October proves if you finish outside the top 6 in May) - I don't think it is logical to point to matches like City home and away, Everton away, West Brom home, and Reading away and say we should have won but then argue we aren't underachieving to a certain degree.

He is a terrible manager and one of the tactically weakest in the league. We had a catastrophic season.

He should be replaced, but he won't, because the people owning and running Liverpool F.C. don't really care, they have no vision and they are not smart enough either.

Nice one, your jokes are ace! Are you appearing at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival this summer?

You're an idiot.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Apologies for the start then, mistook misread your point and intention.

Would still rather win while playing like stoke, than lose.draw and play like whoever BR wants us to play like though.

Stoke, WBA, whoever, the style means nothing unless we actually win, that was my point.

I'm right there with you. Winning is most important, no doubt about it. Have you ever wondered why the likes of Stoke and WBA don't win the league, though? It's because that style of football relies on a few basic things happening. It simply doesn't get you where we want to go on a regular basis. Unite walk the league most years because they're attacking and incredibly hard to counter. And because they have good players. I suggest we do the same.

I dont agree because its not true, we have not been inside the top 4 since new year up until this weekend.

I think Kenny was handed a worse team than Rodgers. Fucking Poulsen konchesky Torres wanting to leave. It was a bag o shite unfortunately he bought more.

It wasn't that different though! Adam, Spearing, Cole and Downing! I think Ged had the worst in 1999, he was left some appalling shite at the end of that season.

KING KENNYS ARMY!

That's how this works isn't it?

YEAH, SHOUTY STUFF ABOUT LEGENDS = solution, somehow, eventually.

We would be in a better league position this season than we are now had Kenny been given the chance to build on last season.

BRENDAN RODGERS, WHOO YEAH = smoke, mirrors, delusion, seriously!?

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I dont agree because its not true, we have not been inside the top 4 since new year up until this weekend.

I didn't didn't mention the new year. I said the second half of the season. After 19 games, until before Saturday, the table would have looked like this:

1st - United - 39pts

2nd - City - 32pts

3rd - Arsenal - 31pts

4th - LFC - 29pts (+23 GD)

5th - Spurs - 29pts (+8 GD)

6th - Chelsea - 27pts

7th - Everton - 26pts