You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Press coverage and how the mancs are twats

RedinSweden

What's the fuss about really?

We've all seen Fergie's ways. Everybody can see Keane's got issues etc

Is it really any surprise that to sell a book, a few provocative sections are inserted to wind up the media frenzy?

Gerrard's class. The whole world knows it. There's nothing to debate really.

Ferguson was a fantastic dictator. There's nothing to debate there either.

Beckham grew up and stopped being bullied. There's nothing to debate there either.

He's history 

"We should forgive our enemies, but not before they are hanged."

Heinrich Heine.

• Upvote 2

Great to see the tide finally turning against him! Quite a few negative articles about him this week regarding his book, the timing and the pressure all this adds to Moyes early stages as Man Utd shows to me what an absolute cunt of a man he really is. What it also highlights to all the worshipers of "Cult Fergie" that he doesn't and never has given a flying fuck about Man Utd the club or the fans, just his shit stained legacy.

It just makes you appreciate the class of Kenny, the man, I agreed with the timing of Kenny leaving but he could have easily kicked up a fuss about him getting the boot and questioned Brendan's credentials but he never said a word, he showed to everyone that the success of the club comes first. He's twice the man Ferguson will ever be. Maybe that's still his gripe about us, he'll never be loved like we love Kenny, he'll never have the total respect in the game like Kenny and he'll never have the class and dignity of Kenny.

Makes me proud to be a red. YNWA.

• Upvote 5

I guess retirement is going to be a cold lonely place for demento.....

Moyes who obviously I have no sympathy for and will love every minute if it goes really tits up, has no chance with this ogre's shadow being cast continually over everything he does.

Liverpool got a lot of criticism for the way they treated Shankly when he retired rightly or wrongly but I guess history maybe says the former, but if you are going to succeed a huge personality and manager then maybe to do have to sever all ties.

I also think we will hear more and more from this twat over the coming months and years all to Man Utds detriment as I don't think he can stay away.....

Someone made a great point earlier about how Ferguson and the mancs changed how clubs acted and that's 100% spot on. Let's remember that Mr football here single handedly destroyed the mystique of the FA Cup, made the league cup a series of reserve games, and devalued international football too to an extent by constantly pulling his players. The mancs helped turn football from a communal 'game' into a corporation where chasing status and wealth was considered the only worthwhile pursuit. The mancs are the Thatcher of English football.

The 1999-00 withdrawal? 

The FA Cup had been becoming less important for a number of years. Them not participating that season didn't help, but it's daft to say Ferguson single handedly destroyed it. I doubt it was his decision anyway.

So, he destroyed the mystique of the FA Cup and devalued the League cup. The irony is that has 5 FA Cup and 4 League Cup winners medals!

I've no time for him whatsoever, but I can't see the point in making stuff up.

The 1999-00 withdrawal? 

The FA Cup had been becoming less important for a number of years. Them not participating that season didn't help, but it's daft to say Ferguson single handedly destroyed it. I doubt it was his decision anyway.

So, he destroyed the mystique of the FA Cup and devalued the League cup. The irony is that has 5 FA Cup and 4 League Cup winners medals!

I've no time for him whatsoever, but I can't see the point in making stuff up.

What do you mean making stuff up? How and why was the FA Cup becoming less important 'for a number of years', because I don't remember it. Bearing in mind it was the only trophy most clubs had a sniff of winning, and there was no chance of champions league football for anyone other than the mancs until they allowed the team  that finished second to join them there.

I still remember the absolute outcry when the mancs withdrew and it was never the same again, shortly afterwards Wenger started crying the blues about it too and fielding weakened sides. They'd made it permissible to make the FA Cup seem like a chore for the big boys who had bigger fish to fry.

One of the reasons I'm becoming less arsed about footy is the fact fans think finishing 'top 4' is a worthy goal, for what? A chance to play in the champions league and for the club to earn some money and get some 'brand exposure'? Footy used to be about winning trophies, no matter what trophies they were,

• Upvote 3

What do you mean making stuff up? How and why was the FA Cup becoming less important 'for a number of years', because I don't remember it. Bearing in mind it was the only trophy most clubs had a sniff of winning, and there was no chance of champions league football for anyone other than the mancs until they allowed the team  that finished second to join them there.

I still remember the absolute outcry when the mancs withdrew and it was never the same again, shortly afterwards Wenger started crying the blues about it too and fielding weakened sides. They'd made it permissible to make the FA Cup seem like a chore for the big boys who had bigger fish to fry.

One of the reasons I'm becoming less arsed about footy is the fact fans think finishing 'top 4' is a worthy goal, for what? A chance to play in the champions league and for the club to earn some money and get some 'brand exposure'? Footy used to be about winning trophies, no matter what trophies they were,

UEFA allowed the team that finished second in the Premier League to participate in the Champions League (2nd Qualifying Round)  as far back as 1996-97. It was 3 teams by 1998-99.

The expansion of the European Cup/Champions league, teams prioritising Premier League survival over FA Cup glory and there being very little chance of Cup Final shocks, are all reasons why the FA Cup isn't what it was. United withdrawing from the competition 14 years ago less so.

Zidane has had his say about Gerrard.

Zinedine Zidane has told Sir Alex Ferguson his verdict on Steven Gerrard is wrong.

Zidane, once acclaimed as the world’s finest footballer and now sporting director of Real Madrid, said: “For two or three years, Steven Gerrard was the best midfield player in the world.

“Even now he is playing at a high level for ­Liverpool and England.”

The 41-year-old Zidane (believes the comments of former Manchester United boss Fergie about Gerrard in his autobiography are “strange.”

Ferguson insisted that Liverpool captain Gerrard has never been "a top, top player."

But as well as hailing the Liverpool star as being the best in the world during his pomp, Zidane added: “Gerrard has been loyal to Liverpool throughout his career – which is great for them – but if he had wanted to leave four or five years ago then every top club in Europe would have tried to sign him.

"And they would have probably had to break the transfer record to do it.

“Alex Ferguson is obviously one of the most successful coaches the game has ever had. But I did find his comments about Steven Gerrard very strange. To say he is not a top player is wrong.”

Owen Hargreaves, another player criticised by Ferguson, has now responded.

Hargreaves’ career ended due to a chronic knee condition just one season after United signed him from Bayern Munich for £17million in May 2007.

And Ferguson wrote that the midfielder “opted for the easy choices in training,” and “was one of the most disappointing signings of my career.”

Hargreaves hit back on Saturday: “Anyone who knows me knows that professionalism is probably one of my strongest traits. A lot of people who rang me this week are very surprised at what he said.

“I had one very successful season, but after the treatment that summer I virtually never played again. My only regret was I didn’t go to him, but I didn’t realise the severity of it until it was too late.”

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/alex-fergusons-book-claims-liverpool-2642628#ixzz2irrICbQR 
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Lombardi died at 57. If he had ve lived on and coached til 70 who knows how different his views would have become.

I would love to talk football with ferguson. I read the first book in the hope that I would learn how he coached football but all it said was repitition repitition repitition without going into specific detail. This book sounds like it will also leave me disappointed in terms of what I can take into my own coaching. Maybe thats it though, someone else did the coaching he just managed everything else.

Im sad that the decrepit whiskey nosed fuck retired so early. Im loving Brendan's swift, witty, subtle shutdowns. With the team pushing up the table, I would have loved it if that prick was around because I reckon he would have had a lot to say about us and Brendan would have made him look an idiot.

Hearing Brendan's retorts these last couple of days has me longing for a battle of words with that fuck. With Brendan bringing out a rap video with Studge akin to the one below at 1min20.

Hahaha fuck, I really want it now. With Pascoe doing ad-libs. Suarez in the back with a baseball bat. Brendan doing press ups with his new chiseled biceps and dentures.

• Upvote 1

I've never seen such widespread criticism of Ferguson before. That coupled with the mancs looking on the precipice of being a really shite team and the 'pool looking good near the top of league has me thinking I'm in a weird, awesome dream. I'm expecting to wake up any minute.

The tide has finally turned, lads.

Whoever said earlier that the mancs game seems like a false dawn is spot on. They were pretty terrible and lucky to get the points. It's gonna blow up in their faces big time.

• Upvote 4

I've never seen such widespread criticism of Ferguson before. That coupled with the mancs looking on the precipice of being a really shite team and the 'pool looking good near the top of league has me thinking I'm in a weird, awesome dream. I'm expecting to wake up any minute.

The tide has finally turned, lads.

Whoever said earlier that the mancs game seems like a false dawn is spot on. They were pretty terrible and lucky to get the points. It's gonna blow up in their faces big time.

What is gratifying to see is that even some mancs are starting to realize how big a cunt whiskey nose is right now.

They were playing stoke at old trafford. That scoreline would never have happened a few years back but now they are so proud of their 'amazing' comeback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

• Upvote 1

It's handy that you know his cup record off hand.

Don't me daft. I could remember the 90's FA Cup victories, as I used to watch the Cup Final every year with my Dad, regardless of who was playing. I stopped doing that in the 00's so I forgot 2004 (Millwall) . I checked the League Cup wins on Wikipedia.

I've no time for him in as much as I'm not interested in what he has to say and won't spend time reading extracts from his book, watching him being interviewed etc.

Whilst I'm not fond of him, I can't see the point in spouting shite about him and/or trying to downplay what he has achieved in the game.

I've gone through various stages in terms of how I feel about Manchester United and Alex Ferguson.

80's - very early 90's. Wanted to beat them but wasn't that arsed about them as they weren't winning an awful lot.

1992-93 - late 00's. Really disliked them, as years and years of them winning trophy after trophy really got up my nose.

Late 00's - present day. I want to beat them and prefer them to lose games rather than win them, but I don't feel the hatred towards them that many Liverpool fans do. This can be attributed to not going the game anymore (priced out) , stepping back a bit and feeling somewhat less passionate about football. Also, being that much older, I feel less inclined to let a rival football club and it's manager wind me up. It always used to annoy me when I'd hear people say "it's just a game", but all said and done it is. Things such as family and health are far more important.

What is gratifying to see is that even some mancs are starting to realize how big a cunt whiskey nose is right now.

They were playing stoke at old trafford. That scoreline would never have happened a few years back but now they are so proud of their 'amazing' comeback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Yes, some bellend on the radio was trying to equate their comeback yesterday with the Mark Robbins winning goal that supposedly saved Ferguson from the sack nearly 24 fucking years ago,these experts? will talk any old shite to keep them in their place.

Expert= some ex footballer i'd never heard of !

I've got to say that I don't think United diminished the value of the FA Cup. PL and CL did that (in my opinion). The media started to make CL 'the big deal' and they spent more effort on promoting that than they did on the FA Cup (and League Cup).

I can criticise United for many things, but not that. To be fair, I'd even argue that the vast majority of top clubs started prioritising CL qualification over domestic trophies. That's not to say they didn't want to win domestic trophies, just that the focus shifted towards top 4 finishes, and I'm damn sure behind the scenes, top 4 would have been the number 1 priority from the boards of those clubs.

I think it's only in recent years that's there's been a bit of a resurgence in cup interest (rightly so in my view). Maybe because the top 4 is contested by a pretty stable 7 or so teams, and the glamour of CL is (possibly) fading a little bit. Winning a trophy is a brilliant feeling, and I think people are starting to get quite enthusiastic about domestic trophies again.

I don't know about other older blokes on this forum, and it might be different for Liverpool fans who were in Europe all the time, but for the rest of us, we kicked a ball in the street and dreamed of scoring the winner in the FA Cup Final. The European Cup was very different and not something you'd dream of winning (Like I say, could be different for Liverpool), but for the rest, that was the case.... and don't forget, the FA Cup was 'hyped' in those days... with all day coverage of the final. It was a HUGE day and it made kids want to be one of those players on that day. Even if you weren't in the final, most would pick a team for that day. Right after the cup final, the streets would be littered with kids with a ball recreating what they'd seen.... happy days.

That's gone now :-(

• Upvote 1