You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Daniel Sturridge

WhiskeyJar

Daniel Sturridge  

287 members have voted

1. 1. Daniel Sturridge

• We need him, get him in January
    • Not what we need. We need someone with more quality and experience
    • Not seen him play enough/Unsure about him

10 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

Sturridge, at his best, was a very good player but, if I had a time machine, I’d take Dalglish, Barnes, Fowler, Hunt, Keegan, Rush, St. John, Suarez and Torres before him, and that’s just forwards/strikers, let alone players in other positions.

I started following from the Fowler Collymore era…  in terms of ceiling, Luis Suarez’ was definitely the highest. Fowler was my childhood ‘hero’, but I was quite young, so my memory of his overall game is a bit hazy. Otherwise it’d be pretty close between Owen, Torres and Sturridge. He was a better finisher than Owen (Owen never scored 20 league goals for us in a season), he had better all round technique than Torres, Owen’s explosive raw pace when he started out probably edged it, but both Torres and Sturridge were lightning quick. Sturridge’s best was all too brief, but was very very good. Don’t know why some are pretending otherwise now.

12 minutes ago, aRdja said:

I started following from the Fowler Collymore era…  in terms of ceiling, Luis Suarez’ was definitely the highest. Fowler was my childhood ‘hero’, but I was quite young, so my memory of his overall game is a bit hazy. Otherwise it’d be pretty close between Owen, Torres and Sturridge. He was a better finisher than Owen (Owen never scored 20 league goals for us in a season), he had better all round technique than Torres, Owen’s explosive raw pace when he started out probably edged it, but both Torres and Sturridge were lightning quick. Sturridge’s best was all too brief, but was very very good. Don’t know why some are pretending otherwise now.

Wrong. 

Sturridge was a 1 and a half season wonder and that is the sum of his career.

OK that was mostly down to his inability to stay fit/cope with the demands of the game but it is what it is.

His career stats for us (league)

2012/13: Games 14 Goals 10

2013/14: Games 29 Goals 21

So 43 Games 31 Goals in that period....very good.

Very good indeed - but then it falls apart.

2014/15: Games 12 Goals 4

2015/16: Games 14 Goals 8

2016/17: Games 20 Goals 3

2017/18: Games 9 Goals 2

2018/19: Games 18 Goals 2

Games 73 Goals 19

Total Games 116 Goals 50

All comps Games 160 Goals 67.

Talented? Yes....but absolutely nothing in his career that marks him as a stand out....i feel he is overrated by many.

Down to injuries he never did more? Yeah ok, but a player can have all the promise in the world but if he can't deliver it....ultimately you are judged on what you actually do.

I also feel he had a bad attitude and could have pushed himself more than he did to play....that is just a gut feel of mine and i may be doing the lad a disservice and being unfair to him in saying that - but i just feel that way.

15 minutes ago, an tha said:

Sturridge was a 1 and a half season wonder and that is the sum of his career.

OK that was mostly down to his inability to stay fit/cope with the demands of the game but it is what it is.

His career stats for us (league)

2012/13: Games 14 Goals 10

2013/14: Games 29 Goals 21

So 43 Games 31 Goals in that period....very good.

Very good indeed - but then it falls apart.

2014/15: Games 12 Goals 4

2015/16: Games 14 Goals 8

2016/17: Games 20 Goals 3

2017/18: Games 9 Goals 2

2018/19: Games 18 Goals 2

Games 73 Goals 19

Total Games 116 Goals 50

All comps Games 160 Goals 67.

Talented? Yes....but absolutely nothing in his career that marks him as a stand out....i feel he is overrated by many.

Down to injuries he never did more? Yeah ok, but a player can have all the promise in the world but if he can't deliver it....ultimately you are judged on what you actually do.

I also feel he had a bad attitude and could have pushed himself more than he did to play....that is just a gut feel of mine and i may be doing the lad a disservice and being unfair to him in saying that - but i just feel that way.

2014-2016 when he played he was still very good. I think the bolded part is unfair. He actually delivered for us when he was on the pitch. In 13/14 we had the two best strikers in the league if not the world.

3 minutes ago, aRdja said:

2014-2016 when he played he was still very good. I think the bolder part is a bit unfair. He actually delivered for us when he was on the pitch. In 13/14 we had the two best strikers in the league if not the world.

"When he was on the pitch" is exactly the issue though isn't it...it does not matter how good you are if you aren't able to deliver it often enough because you are injured.

Even in that career high season of 13/14 he managed to miss a quarter of our games and then of course it just got worse year on year.

Yes he was very good in 13/14 but that is pretty much it from him.

1 minute ago, an tha said:

"When he was on the pitch" is exactly the issue though isn't it...it does not matter how good you are if you aren't able to deliver it often enough because you are injured.

Even in that career high season of 13/14 he managed to miss a quarter of our games and then of course it just got worse year on year.

Yes he was very good in 13/14 but that is pretty much it from him.

12/13 he was excellent too. I don’t think he’s overrated by our fans, if anything he’s underrated. If we’re discussing longevity then yeah he wouldn’t be anywhere near the top, but ceiling… he’d be up there IMO. 

8 minutes ago, aRdja said:

12/13 he was excellent too. I don’t think he’s overrated by our fans, if anything he’s underrated. If we’re discussing longevity then yeah he wouldn’t be anywhere near the top, but ceiling… he’d be up there IMO. 

Two different ways of looking at it i suppose....for me 'ceiling' is just so hard to 'prove'/is very subjective....whereas as what a player actually does is of course factual and ok it is heavily influenced by lots of things (like injuries for example) but for me it is all about what did, not what could have done.

His season and a half of being very good is fair do's though.

I can't quite put my finger on it, but he always just left me a bit cold compared to other LFC strikers down the years though....maybe its frustration with all the injuries and what might have been and maybe that is unfair, but it is just how i am with him and was when he played.

5 minutes ago, Baltar said:

Like most players between 2012-2014 Sturridge looked better than he was because of Suarez. That man elevated all the players around him. Good player Sturridge but benefitted immensely playing alongside the best player on the planet at the time.

You could make a similar argument with Owen and Torres too. Owen had the system built to his strengths, playing in front young Steven Gerrard and with Heskey doing his donkey work. Torres played alongside peak Gerrard and Xabi Alonso. 

39 minutes ago, Baltar said:

Like most players between 2012-2014 Sturridge looked better than he was because of Suarez. That man elevated all the players around him. Good player Sturridge but benefitted immensely playing alongside the best player on the planet at the time.

He was better than just "good". His finishing at that time was phenomenal. We'd probably appreciate this more if we hadn't been so spoilt over the last few decades.

Still, even if he'd never been injured, I doubt he'd put in the defensive shift to get a regular place in a Klopp team.

• Upvote 3