You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Daniel Sturridge

WhiskeyJar

Daniel Sturridge  

287 members have voted

1. 1. Daniel Sturridge

• We need him, get him in January
    • Not what we need. We need someone with more quality and experience
    • Not seen him play enough/Unsure about him

It's strange. He scores so much - I mean his scoring record since joining is fucking phenomenal - yet he doesn't get the love you'd expect from the fans, or the adulation you'd expect from the press.

I think he does get the credit he's due from the fans, the press don't care because he's not called John Terry and/or Portuguese.

I think he does get the credit he's due from the fans, the press don't care because he's not called John Terry and/or Portuguese.

I'm not sure mate.

Certainly not saying the fans ignore him or anything like that, but what's his record? Something like 28 in 33. It's unbelievable. Lots of players have done far less, yet been bigger fan favourites.

If someone told you a couple of years ago we'd have an English striker scoring at virtually a goal a game for 30+ games, you'd imagine he'd be fucking revered. Like Torres in his prime. IMO - Sturridge is nowhere near that level of adulation yet.

As I say, I'm not trying to make out like fans don't realise what  a class act he is; simply that he doesn't get what you might expect for a player with his record.

I'm not sure mate.

Certainly not saying the fans ignore him or anything like that, but what's his record? Something like 28 in 33. It's unbelievable. Lots of players have done far less, yet been bigger fan favourites.

If someone told you a couple of years ago we'd have an English striker scoring at virtually a goal a game for 30+ games, you'd imagine he'd be fucking revered. Like Torres in his prime. IMO - Sturridge is nowhere near that level of adulation yet.

As I say, I'm not trying to make out like fans don't realise what  a class act he is; simply that he doesn't get what you might expect for a player with his record.

I know what you mean, probably a lot of it is to do with Suarez being here at the same time?

I know what you mean, probably a lot of it is to do with Suarez being here at the same time?

Yeah, I'd suggest so.

Also - in the nicest possible way, he's a bit of a cock. That might be a bit strong, but he certainly has a air of arrogance and brashness about him.

It's not necessarily a bad thing, but something that hasn't traditionally been one of the values we love about a player...

Yeah, I'd suggest so.

Also - in the nicest possible way, he's a bit of a cock. That might be a bit strong, but he certainly has a air of arrogance and brashness about him.

It's not necessarily a bad thing, but something that hasn't traditionally been one of the values we love about a player...

He is a striker and they tend to be selfish anyway. My only gripe with him is he does not pass to Suarez when he clearly is in a better position than him.

Has happened more than one this season.

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure mate.

I think he does get the adulation, the problem is that the whole fanbase is on tenterhooks because we haven't a] won anything big or b] finished in the top four with this team.

Once Sturridge fires us to a trophy or even throughout top tier Europe, he'll get that same adulation that Torres got, because we'll start to become more emotional.

Its just the start of the story. 24 years old. He'll retire here.

Absolutely phenomenal this lad, the highest compliment I can give him is he just never seems phased, last week in the cup you could see just how dissapointed he was, beating himself up and you just knew there was going to be a response a clinical finish around the keeper after 3 minutes, exactly what he tried against Schezney last week, well in Daniel lad. Must also say he seems like an absolutely top man off the pitch, Anfield wrap interview, LFC TV interviews always smiling having banter with interviewees and the way he conducts himself is testament to both him and the club.

The reason he's not adored is because we weren't his first English club. There's always the doubt in the back of your mind that he's a mercenary. Phenomenal player though.

Obviously not being from the area I have no idea what the consensus on this is in Liverpool but personally I don't get that feeling that he's a mercenary at all. If anything I think the fact that both City and Chelsea passed on him have had a massively positive effect on whatever his view of us was before he joined. Sure he's not one who has the "boyhood red" tag on him (and to be honest most of those have flattered to deceive lately anyway) but I don't doubt his commitment at all.

In the "sporting world" as a whole though I think you're probably right in that others perceive him as such.

Had a discussion with my mate about the perception of Sturridge's attitude and as a black man himself he thinks it's a prejudice thing.

Any young black self assured and confident man is instantly perceived as arrogant whereas if he was white it would be s different matter. The example he gave was Rooney who is widely perceived as a cheeky scamp who knows he's good

• Upvote 2

Guest Numero Veinticinco

He's world class; up there with Suarez, Messi and Zlatan

Nah. He is performing at a really high level, but until he has been doing it for longer, against the top sides in Europe, it's hard to call him world class, let alone up the with possibly the best player ever.