You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Early thoughts on Rodgers

fowler9

Fair enough. Two questions then:

- why did he demand a three year contract instead of the two the Americans were offering him unless he was looking out for himself?

- why did he not give his payoff to charity or back to the club as some were trying to have us believe at the time?

He was a great player' date=' probably the best we've ever had. But he fucked us over royally. Take off the 'KK is a saint' glasses and just accept that, like most of the rest of the human race, he was looking after number one.[/quote']

This post is a wrong'un.

The amount of money is what people generally are flabbergasted by; it wasn't really £100m gone up in smoke. the income from Torres covered Carroll and Downing (possibly even Adam-I thought Downing was less than £15 million). They all started well (except Carroll, injured) and lets not forget who missed the penalty in the first home game of the season, consigning us to a draw when three points were on the cards.

I dont want to get into a blow by blow account of the season again, but to say we didn't have bad luck - including some sort of conspiracy against Suarez - would be wrong.

I agree with Code on this: the critical points to the season, were the Lucas injury (once again showing exactly just how thin our squad really was) and the Suarez ban.

A club like us should be spending whatever it takes to get the job done. Dalglish was not out of line, in using what was probably a net spend of about £30 million.

and in that one sentence, the whole fucking problem of the fanbase we have today is summed up nicely...it is as if the last 20 years - and certainly the last 5 - never happend.

We never spent what was needed to 'get the job done', we spent what we had and made best use of those resources.

The idea that after our transfer dealings in 2011, we should just continue to spend, spend, spend - again as if Henderson, Downing, Adam and the other shite never happened - is just beyond belief.

We should live within our means, improve those means and make best use of them. We have been terrible at all three things for ages - Kenny 2011 included - and who is (unfairly) paying the price for that now is Rodgers.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I'm fairly happy - although by no means ecstatic - with how much we've had to spend over the last 10 years. We've had a fair amount of money. Had we spent it properly, we'd have very little problems.

I'm fairly happy - although by no means ecstatic - with how much we've had to spend over the last 10 years. We've had a fair amount of money. Had we spent it properly, we'd have very little problems.

agreed, if you look at our big money flops and work out who we could've got for a similar price at the time and would've probably been attainable too is mental

Cisse-Eto'o

Keane-Silva

Aquilani- Sneijder/Robben

Carroll- Falcao

Downing- Mata

We have been wasteful, but we did sign some quality. I still think the personnel Rafa spotted and signed should of walked the league at one point the team hindered itself a lot I think that's what made it more frustrating he built a top side but it was always lacking just that something. Gillet and hicks were so destructive to the team, and it won't be popular but Rafa signed a lot of unnessecary shit in cases where it just seems like signing people for the sake of signing someone and after gillet and hicks that's what has slowed down any kind of recovery.

Then there was hodgson who was on a hiding to nothing and deserved a hiding for nothing, and then Kenny for me his return was worth it because I felt 10 again but fuck me he wasted the funds at the worst possible time. Now after all this shit it seems like we have owners who are skint, who will only provide what the club earns, our squad is too small to sell players unless we sell stars, the club doesn't earn enough to bulk up the squad and the longer we go without success the smaller the sponsorships the less money we will earn. Fsg have give us the option of a slow death instead of a quick one; all unless Rodgers is a genius in the market and his vision is perfectly executed.

agreed, if you look at our big money flops and work out who we could've got for a similar price at the time and would've probably been attainable too is mental

Cisse-Eto'o

Keane-Silva

Aquilani- Sneijder/Robben

Carroll- Falcao

Downing- Mata

I'm not sure that the last two alternatives would have been attainable, but definitely affordable. The Keane purchase and subsequent sale still makes me grimace. Wasn't there a chance of getting Villa at that time, or no?

Because he thought his 'vision' for the club would take more than two seasons to get the club where he thought it should be?

Because he was entitled to the pay off! The question shouldn't be why Dalglish didn't give his payoff to X, Y or Z. It should be why the owners gave him a 3 year contract if they didn't have full faith in his abilities and didn't really want him in the first place and were going to look for the first excuse to sack him!

They gave him a three year contract as he demanded it. And they foolishly listened to the press and the whims of nostalgic fans. Now they've been burned we'll be lucky if we see any major investment from them again any time soon.

I don't think the great managers take too long to impose themselves and there are usually signs that things are going the right direction (as there were with Benitez after a few months). At the moment it's a fucking mess. There are so many things going wrong it's unbelievable.

I'm not sure that the last two alternatives would have been attainable, but definitely affordable. The Keane purchase and subsequent sale still makes me grimace. Wasn't there a chance of getting Villa at that time, or no?

at the time Falcao was at Porto and ended up joining Atletico 6months later for the same price(ish) we got Carroll for when Aguero went for a similar fee, I'd like to think even without Champions League football we're considered at least considerable with Porto and Atletico!

and Mata probably not if it was straight between us and Chelsea but I seem to recall he was making noises about being open to us earlier that summer, only we went and got Downing! :wallbutt:

........We should live within our means, improve those means and make best use of them. We have been terrible at all three things for ages - Kenny 2011 included - and who is (unfairly) paying the price for that now is Rodgers.

Just hang on a minute; players in and players out is what football is all about. Sooner or later, you get a squad that brings success. The best players are part of a synergy of talent, work rate and fitting in with a particular club and the first team of that club at a particular time. In other words, all the elements come together.

Look at Torres now. Hopeless at Chelsea - no synergy. He was our club's fastest 50 goal scorer -fastest ever!! Everything came together (just as an aside, I'd argue strongly that if Rafa had not been sacked, Torres would still be here.) BUT, you have to be in the race to win it, and you have to sign the players (a calculated risk) to get the results.

The spending of our club since the start of the Houllier era, may have been massive, but I can say with confidence that we wouldn't have won the Treble under Houllier with a 2nd in the PL, no Champions League Trophy under Rafa, no CL final in 2007, maybe even no FA Cup in 2006 - Not to mention the 2nd place in the Premier League under Rafa, and so close to winning it.

It's called investment, and we're stuck with massive fees and large wages for big name players whether we like it or not.

I'm all for shrewdness, but it's a tough environment in the modern game, and players are mercenary.

Well said - like the sig too. Don't agree with you on Dalglish though. There wasn't a peep out of him when G&H were on the verge of bankrupting the club. He then conducts a search and decides that he's the best man for the job! Wastes about £80m in the transfer market which will put the Americans off investing again. Then rides off into the sunset with a big payoff.

May be cynical but maybe he looked at his buddy Hansen and the wedge he was on at the BBC and thought he deserved better.

You may be cynical but without doubt you're ignorant and a more than a tad thick.

Just hang on a minute; players in and players out is what football is all about. Sooner or later, you get a squad that brings success. The best players are part of a synergy of talent, work rate and fitting in with a particular club and the first team of that club at a particular time. In other words, all the elements come together.

Look at Torres now. Hopeless at Chelsea - no synergy. He was our club's fastest 50 goal scorer -fastest ever!! Everything came together (just as an aside, I'd argue strongly that if Rafa had not been sacked, Torres would still be here.) BUT, you have to be in the race to win it, and you have to sign the players (a calculated risk) to get the results.

The spending of our club since the start of the Houllier era, may have been massive, but I can say with confidence that we wouldn't have won the Treble under Houllier with a 2nd in the PL, no Champions League Trophy under Rafa, no CL final in 2007, maybe even no FA Cup in 2006 - Not to mention the 2nd place in the Premier League under Rafa, and so close to winning it.

It's called investment, and we're stuck with massive fees and large wages for big name players whether we like it or not.

I'm all for shrewdness, but it's a tough environment in the modern game, and players are mercenary.

I think you misinterpreted what I was trying to say.

I have nothing against spending, and even spending big. At times, you have to do it if you can, and even the 'old' Liverpool spend big on some players, Kenny included at the time.

My point since the 1990s has been that we have thrown good money after bad, always with the argument that we have to 'spend more' in order to 'catch up'.

We have, generally, been spectacularly bad at spending big money with few, but significant exceptions (Haman at the time, Torres etc.). In other words, we have been very, very bad at making the most of our resources in terms of getting the best that OUR money (the club) can buy.

Steven Kelly from TTWAR never stopped to make the comparisson between us and Utd in the 1990s.

They bought Schmeichel, we bought James

They bought Irwin, we bought Dicks

They bought Keane, we bought Stewart

They bought Cantona, we bought Clough

They bought Cole, we bought Collymore etc.

The point being that money in itself did not stop us from being successful, it was how it was spent. Obviously since then Chelsea and City have changed the game but Utd are STILL there whilst we are nowhere to be seen. Our 2011 transfer window was a classic example of why we have fallen so far (amongst other things) and that was not the current owners' fault.

I would certainly criticise the owners for the squad depletion that has gone on this summer, not getting in another striker (as well as a couple of other players) was a huge mistake. BUT their idea of getting value for money in the market is surely right, even within the changed context of Chelsea and City.

Maybe we will never be back to where we were in terms of success, I suspect we wont. But if we have owners who FINALLY start having a plan and sticking to it whilst remembering at least SOME principles of what it takes to run a football club well then I am all for it.