You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other football

Jhinge Machha

Brazil really are fucking terrible. As much as Neymar is their best player it's a bit like the discussion we were having about Portuguese Ronaldo at Real Madrid, perhaps it would be better if they built a team.

I've been thinking the same thing lately.. One of those times when maybe a great player is limiting the team. They could be a compact team, tight defence, with a few players who are able to produce some magic. Now it's just pass the ball to Neymar and see what he does. Nobody else gets any resposibility to to something.

• Replies 49k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jairzinho

• magicrat

• Russ Atmosphere

• Dr Nowt

I've been thinking the same thing lately.. One of those times when maybe a great player is limiting the team. They could be a compact team, tight defence, with a few players who are able to produce some magic. Now it's just pass the ball to Neymar and see what he does. Nobody else gets any resposibility to to something.

They need a keeper and a number nine whatever they choose to do. Diego Alves is pretty good but injured at the moment, I think. The rest of them are terrible. Tardelli, Robinho, Fred, Jo, all these jokers need fucking off. I think one of Damiao or Luiz Adriano has to be the number nine. Although the former has been terrible for a while, he at least has some potential. The rest have proven themselves to not be good enough. Their U'20 side is very good, but none of the strikers have much experience in club football.

I think 4-2-3-1 could work. Despite almost all of their holding midfielders being a bit shit. I guess Fernandinho probably is the best of them, and I'd actually play David Luiz next to him. He can't play in defence, but the playmaker role in a Brazilian style (where he can just gallop forward rather than look to sit and play 50 yard passes) could work. They need a better left back (Sandro possibly?), and you'd imagine Marquinhos will replace Miranda at some point.

Alves

Danilo Silva Miranda Felipe

Fernandinho Luiz

William Coutinho Neymar

Adriano

You'd look to get Firmino, Felipe Anderson, Rafinha and Lucas Moura in the side as quickly as possible but I'm not sure lobbing them all in now would be particularly wise. Could ruin them.

They just look so pedestrian, and constantly looking to Neymar. Why did he get the captaincy as well? Because he wanted it? Because he's the poster boy for Brazilian football? He's a petulant, immature, 23 year old striker. There is nothing about him that suggests he'd be a good captain.

• Upvote 3

Tiago Ilori played well tonight, didn't give Harry Kane a sniff. Saw him play well against Barca when he was out on loan in Spain too. He is quick and strong, i think we should be keeping a player like him on our books.

I dinnae who the fuck u are pal but you dinnae talk cack.

Quite the bumming. Chile 5 Bolivia 0, and Sanchez and Vidal were taken off at half time. If Rodgers wants to play with loads of midfielders he should model the team on Chile. Seven? They played with ten. No centre backs, no real number 9. Just loads of hard working, technically proficient, adventurous players. Vidal and Sanchez apart there aren't really any exceptional players in that side, and the style and quality of football didn't change in the second half tonight.

You never hear of Charles Aranguiz being on the radar of any of the top clubs. Indeed I don't recall ever hearing his name mentioned in any transfer talk before. Is he just another one of those players who is a dynamo with his national side but bang-average at club level, or just another highly under-rated talent? I've only ever watched him play for Chile and he always looks quality.

He was linked with Arsenal a few months ago. 

Wouldn't be surprised if he ended up at Watford for a season, the guy that owns Internacional also owns Watford and Udinese. Expect some slightly dodgy deal to happen.

Diaz is another that has only just made the move to a decent league.

Mixture of Chile being managed well for the last five years, and therefore elevating the status of the players, lazy scouting, and probably some work permit issues.

Some of them also possibly just prefer living in South America.

Tiago Ilori played well tonight, didn't give Harry Kane a sniff. Saw him play well against Barca when he was out on loan in Spain too. He is quick and strong, i think we should be keeping a player like him on our books.

Ilori is made of crisps and a left centre back to boot. Enjoyed watching him outpace Harry Kane to every ball over the top, though.

...Wouldn't be surprised if he ended up at Watford for a season...

It's not an unusual scenario given that Medel joined Cardiff, and other national team regulars like Vargas and Isla went to QPR, and Jara was at Forest. Chilean players do make some odd transfer choices.

It's not an unusual scenario given that Medel joined Cardiff, and other national team regulars like Vargas and Isla went to QPR, and Jara was at Forest. Chilean players do make some odd transfer choices.

I think it's partly just that it's not one of the big two South American nations. 

It seems to only just be dawning on European clubs that Chile, Uruguay, Columbia etc also produce great players. Many of which would very much suit the Premier League as well.

They aren't like the soft cunts from Brazil.

• Upvote 1

Argentina were so sloppy against the Jamaicans, and ended up hanging onto the 1-0 a little bit at the end. They should have been out of sight by half time but consistently wasted promising situations with slapdash decision making in the final third. Di Maria shooting when he should have passed, and Higuain passing when he should have shot, for example. Di Maria went closer than anybody with a couple of other efforts but while he's still a huge threat, he can still look very inconsistent in the same match. 

Not sure what it is about Messi under Martino but so often when he gets on the ball (which is still more often than anybody else as the main outlet) he slows the game right down when that precise moment needs an injection of pace and movement. For Barcelona in this past year, he's kept things moving in those same situations and when your teammates can be sure you're going to do that, they'll keep making the runs and stretching opponents.

Argentina were so sloppy against the Jamaicans, and ended up hanging onto the 1-0 a little bit at the end. They should have been out of sight by half time but consistently wasted promising situations with slapdash decision making in the final third. Di Maria shooting when he should have passed, and Higuain passing when he should have shot, for example. Di Maria went closer than anybody with a couple of other efforts but while he's still a huge threat, he can still look very inconsistent in the same match. 

Not sure what it is about Messi under Martino but so often when he gets on the ball (which is still more often than anybody else as the main outlet) he slows the game right down when that precise moment needs an injection of pace and movement. For Barcelona in this past year, he's kept things moving in those same situations and when your teammates can be sure you're going to do that, they'll keep making the runs and stretching opponents.

Did he play Di Maria as a left winger again?

Yeah. nice one, mate. Whip crosses in for Aguero and Messi.