You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Olympics - 100 days

Lurtz

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Pistonbroke

I'll be too busy eyeing up Jessica...but good luck to her mate. Maybe Jessica and the home crowd can drag her along into medal contention.

I'll be too busy eyeing up Jessica...but good luck to her mate. Maybe Jessica and the home crowd can drag her along into medal contention.

Ennis is a fucking winner like. She trains with her sometimes. When she was about 16 she went to train at Loughborough with some other athletes. She come back and was saying some tall black guy called Daley was training them all day. It me feel old that she didn't have a clue who he was.

She actually beat Ennis in a five event competition a few weeks ago. She has been nominated for European athlete of the month for March. Here's the link if anyone can be arsed voting for a fellow scouser.

UKA Vote for European Athlete of the Month for March

Guest Pistonbroke
Ennis is a fucking winner like. She trains with her sometimes. When she was about 16 she went to train at Loughborough with some other athletes. She come back and was saying some tall black guy called Daley was training them all day. It me feel old that she didn't have a clue who he was.

She actually beat Ennis in a five event competition a few weeks ago. She has been nominated for European athlete of the month for March. Here's the link if anyone can be arsed voting for a fellow scouser.

UKA Vote for European Athlete of the Month for March

Voting is closed mate...

When did we get so down on ourselves in this country? There's almost no national togetherness. There's certainly no sense of being or national pride. There's very little to be proud of, come to that matter.

This country is such a mess at the moment. We're like a ship without a Captain. If we can't get excited that we're putting on the biggest sporting event in the world, for everybody in the world to look at, then we're seriously in trouble. It's like we've got no investment in anything other than ourselves. Well, it's not 'like' that. It is that.

When we see that its london based,costs a fortune to put on and the tickets are distributed more badly than the FA Cup Final its difficult for those of us oop north to give a shite to be honest.

The fact that the country will have even more debt put on it for years afterwards doesnt help either.

It's a load of shit.

Everything anyone needs to know about Cardie summed up in 5 words.

I can't wait either. The footie will be interesting. It's the same principle as at school - the team will be picked from a gang of stars, mongs, fat and thin, good and rubbish, all lined up against a wall, except there's 80 of them.

I went to the rehearsal events at the velodrome some weeks back. The site was still a mess, but the buildings and facilities were fantastic.

Guest TK-421

I want to read about Charles Fuckface from Surrey. He runs his own recruitment consultancy and was lucky enough to get tickets for him and his family for £15,000 to see some swimming.

It's a load of shit.

Outstanding work. Don't feel as if you need to expand on that or anything will you.

There are plenty of reasons why it's clearly not a load of shit, most ably summed up by Número Veinticinco. It's an opportunity for the country to pull its head out of its arse, engage with a global event and have a bit of pride that we're hosting it and enjoy watching some world class competitive sports.

As for those moaning about it being in London - what the fuck are they supposed to do? London (you know, the capital) is where the majority of events are being held but the entire nation's economy benefits from the event. There are teams basing themselves and training all over the country - Just in Leeds there are Chinese, Aussie and Canadian teams. There are also some events outside the capital such as sailing, f******l etc. There are also retail led events, food & drinks manufacturers' special packs & competitions, all of whom will see sales uplifts to the benefit of their employees nationwide. All of this slips under the radar of those only interested in the cost of the stadium and the fact it's in "that there London". Get a grip you miserable bastards, this is a great thing for the country.

Guest TK-421

We're bound to balls it up. The Euros is where it's at. by the way, do they clash? It's mildly annoying when the summer footy tourneys clash with less important stuff like big brother/the olympics.

I wonder if some 808 state re-releases are on the cards.

Everything anyone needs to know about Cardie summed up in 5 words.

I can't wait either. The footie will be interesting. It's the same principle as at school - the team will be picked from a gang of stars, mongs, fat and thin, good and rubbish, all lined up against a wall, except there's 80 of them.

I went to the rehearsal events at the velodrome some weeks back. The site was still a mess, but the buildings and facilities were fantastic.

Who's managing the GB f***ie team? Do we know yet?

Guest Pistonbroke
It doesn't clash at all with the Euros does it?

Nope. Euros starts on the 8th June i believe and the Olympics starts on the 27th of July.

When did we get so down on ourselves in this country? There's almost no national togetherness. There's certainly no sense of being or national pride. There's very little to be proud of, come to that matter.

This country is such a mess at the moment. We're like a ship without a Captain. If we can't get excited that we're putting on the biggest sporting event in the world, for everybody in the world to look at, then we're seriously in trouble. It's like we've got no investment in anything other than ourselves. Well, it's not 'like' that. It is that.

Is it really? The Football World Cup for me surely. And believe me if we were hosting that I'd be excited as fuck.

On the Radio this morning they did a whats in it for us type survey - they asked a bloke from Sheffield and he said something along he lines of -

Nowt its costing a fortune and with cuts to the NHS Education and Police service its a disgrace to be spending that much money on this..

but the bit that really swung it for me was when he said .. If i get mugged in the street, what good will 2 gold medals do me!!!

I almost choked on my bran flakes..I like watching most of the Olympic events if I'm in. I think its a shame, as has been said, that as a country, we 're not more behind, but I understand why some people think its a big waste of cash. Particularly in areas of high unemployment!

Outstanding work. Don't feel as if you need to expand on that or anything will you.

There are plenty of reasons why it's clearly not a load of shit, most ably summed up by Número Veinticinco. It's an opportunity for the country to pull its head out of its arse, engage with a global event and have a bit of pride that we're hosting it and enjoy watching some world class competitive sports.

As for those moaning about it being in London - what the fuck are they supposed to do? London (you know, the capital) is where the majority of events are being held but the entire nation's economy benefits from the event. There are teams basing themselves and training all over the country - Just in Leeds there are Chinese, Aussie and Canadian teams. There are also some events outside the capital such as sailing, f******l etc. There are also retail led events, food & drinks manufacturers' special packs & competitions, all of whom will see sales uplifts to the benefit of their employees nationwide. All of this slips under the radar of those only interested in the cost of the stadium and the fact it's in "that there London". Get a grip you miserable bastards, this is a great thing for the country.

It's an opportunity for us all to shell out for a london centric competition that will benefit very very few people in areas that most need it outisde of that city. The idea that it'll help the nation is bollocks.

I don't get why I'm expected to get behind British athletes just because they are British.I enjoy certain events and as said earlier Haile Gebrselassie is one of my heroes.So people seem to think its strange why I want him to win.

My issue with the Olympics is the amount of events.I like track and field.Swimming should be there but some of the others have no place IMO.

I'm all for more combat sports being added.Pankration was a original Olympic sport and should be brought back in the form of submission wrestling.ADCC(Abu Dhabi Combat Club) is a event held every year with the best submission grapplers participating.If you catch some on YouTube.

As much as I like or understand Tennis,Basketball,water polo,shooting they should be Olympic sports IMO.

The idea that it'll help the nation is bollocks.

That's an absolute load of shite Cardie. Here's just one small example why:

A small Lancashire based family owned ice cream company I know were awarded a license by Cadbury to manufacture special Olympics branded packs of Flake ice cream to sell across Morrisons and Asda supermarkets. That's enabled them to buy new machinery, take on more people and expand their business into other areas. Because of the Olympics. That's just one I found out about this morning. I'd bet there are a hell of a lot of similar stories.

Oh and it's London Centric because cities bid for the games not countries. You know, a bit like Capital of Culture.