You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bolton away match thread

fowler9

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If that's what FSG think then they have to change manager, not that I'm suggesting that.

You can't have a manager in place and not back him.

Yes you can. You tell him that he's spent enough last January and in the summer. You then say that this is now your squad until the summer window. If you get into the top 4, then you get to keep the job and spend money in the summer, if you don't you won't have a job.

Think its fair enough really.

Agreed. The problem is that would mean him accepting that the signings of Carroll and possibly Downing were mistakes. Most managers are too proud and/or egotistical to admit they've made a mistake so they keep playing poor signings in order to save face in public. Look at how long Ferguson has persisted with Anderson for even though he's never really looked up to the job. Its what cost Rafa his job in the end. The persisting with his poor signings instead of getting rid straight away, which is what he did succesfully at the start of his tenure, Morientes as an example. Probably what happened to Houllier aswell.

First of all, you can show that sort of pride if you've won what Ferguson has, if you've got a side which challenges regardless. There is - understandably - considerably less leeway if you're not on that level. Kenny is a legend, perhaps our greatest, but he's not in that esteemed position, he's coming back from a long spell outside of the time. If pride is the issue, he needs to swallow his now.

Thing is, I was an optimistic voice in the summer - after seeing us play good football towards the end of last season, I thought Kenny had the right idea - It didn't look as though he had any trouble at all adapting with the times, so I presumed he knew what he was doing with his summer dealings.

Sadly, it looks more or less certain that it was the technical ability of players like Meireles & Maxi in conjunction with the likes of Lucas & Suarez which accidentally gave that impression. Since, we've been looking to recruit almost exclusively British plodders who are just technically incapacitated. They look disabled, and - surprise, surprise - it's Enrique, not English, who has been by far the best of the lot.

Yes, we have injuries, yes we've been unlucky at times, but I trusted that Kenny saw something in players like Downing, Adam and Henderson that meant they'd fit like a glove into a side looking to play quality football. Instead, they look like cast-offs from an early 90s Aston Villa team.

You can't waste that much money, you just can't, and unless we turn it around, unless Kenny is willing to make big changes and concede that he's been on the wrong track, it'll be a Didier Deschamps type of figure in the dugout next season, and given the investment in the team, only the most zealous supporter would be able to complain about him taking Kenny's place.

No one wants it to happen, but there's only one man who can turn it around, and he really fucking needs to before it's out of his hands entirely.

Tell you what lads. With the February we have coming up. This is fucking worrying. Forget 4th, by March we could be struggling to stay in the Europa spots.

Its a grim realisation that we're just as likely to end up somewhere just above mid-table as we are to put in a challenge for 4th.

Yes you can. You tell him that he's spent enough last January and in the summer. You then say that this is now your squad until the summer window. If you get into the top 4, then you get to keep the job and spend money in the summer, if you don't you won't have a job.

You'd create a hugely unstable situation and as they say the manager would rapidly lose the dressing room as the players realised he wasn't being backed.

I said at the time whoever made the decision to buy Carroll be it Dalglish or Commolli should never have been given money to spend again. The summer signings bar Enrique have highlighted this further.

It really takes some doing spending £100million plus on players and taking the team backwards.

Let's be fair though all this shit performance wise was obvious in the summer with the players we decided to buy. I resigned myself to this back then as I know a few others did.

From what I remember we wanted Clichy before him and he's been pretty ordinary playing in a much better side this season.

I don't think top four is a necessity, but a strong challenge certainly is. Sadly, Kenny is falling way short on that front, and we're meekly, slowly but surely slipping further and further behind.

It will be the lack of a serious challenge that - quite reasonably - costs him his job, not simply failing to make the top four.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I don't think top four is a necessity, but a strong challenge certainly is. Sadly, Kenny is falling way short on that front, and we're meekly, slowly but surely slipping further and further behind.

It will be the lack of a serious challenge that costs him his job, not simply failing to make the top four.

I think some sort of progress was pretty much a requirement. Thing aren't going well.

As if Suarez wants to play for this fucking shambolic excuse for a team. I wouldn't blame him if he fucked off.

Funny thing is, just over a year ago we'd have been screaming the place down about the manager after performances like we put in every week. Now we just shout at the players. Kenny needs to pull his fucking finger out and either get these useless cunts playing or make some signings this month. "Quiet" transfer window? "Downing's even better than I thought"? Do me a fucking favour.

It's great saying spend money, but we essentially swapped Adam for Meireles and Carroll for Torres. Even if we spent the extra money well, it still means we have a starting XI with far less talent and the structure of two supposedly astute footballing brains deemed this a good idea.

Adam wouldn't get in any team above us, so can we really complain that we are where we are? If the CM is shit the team usually will be and Lucas' performances papered over a lot of cracks.

We're not even getting players forward. If this was the mancs, they'd have Bolton pinned back for the last 20 minutes, undoubtedly scoring a couple in the process.

We're still hitting long balls to Carroll ffs, and no-one is in support.

Grim viewing indeed.