You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bolton away match thread

fowler9

I don't agree with that.

Look last season when Dalglish took over Spearing and Lucas played together and we won numerous matches. They protected the defense, broke up play, worked hard and gave plenty of possession to Meireles, Kuyt, Maxi and Suarez which won us games.

Centre midielders main job I think is to control games, by winning possession, protecting the back four and ensuring the attacking players have enough possession to win us games.

Mascherano wasn't a complete midfielder - he was brilliant defensively and played it simple in possession. But alongside Alonso they controlled games and gave Gerrard / Torres plenty of possession to win us games.

That's fair enough. I really rate spearing in our midfield because he's all energy something this side lacks, mascherano was similar in that sense but he had Alonso who could dictate the tempo of a game on his own, Alonso's defensive game is under estimated I suppose hes the perfect partner for any other midfielder. We need a centre mid who can take a game by the scruff of its neck ( besides gerrard ). I think we need a right and left winger and a striker too though, seems we always spend and always end up needing something else, fuck me I've been praying for a good winger since I was a kid.

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We miss Lucas massively.

I think he's our most important player, just cos no one in our squad comes close to his quality in the role he plays.

Maybe he isn't, but it feels that way when the opposition get loads of space in behind our midfield. It's happened every game since he's been out.

No excuses about missing players. Bolton missed Holden and Chung Yong Lee who were their best players last season.

Well we certainly missed Lucas.

But only because Charlie and Stevie didn't seem interested in tracking runners.

I'll give Stevie the benefit of the doubt though considering

A) Hes a legend whos carried the fucking team for years

and

B) I'm assuming it was his job to be the more attacking of the 2 central players

Charlie though, I'm not sure if its anything to do with lack of interest. I think hes just incapable of doing it. He can't chase or tackle. Hes so limited its unreal.

The spastic frothing and jerking about fucking Lucas and his importance to this team is as depressing as it is apposite

It's a bit like hoping that Nigel Spackman would get fit and save our season

Idiots

We've won three league games in nine attempts since he was injured so it's more likely that you are the idiot.

Guest Pistonbroke
We've won three league games in nine attempts since he was injured so it's more likely that you are the idiot.

Well your statement is pretty daft as well!! We certainly are missing Lucas in midfield and he was having a steady season so far, but he isn't a match winner and its folly to blame results because of one player who is missing. We failed to win games with him in the squad as well!!

Well your statement is pretty daft as well!! We certainly are missing Lucas in midfield and he was having a steady season so far, but he isn't a match winner and its folly to blame results because of one player who is missing. We failed to win games with him in the squad as well!!

Daft it may be but that's what has happened. Our results were better with him in the team and we were higher up the league.

Daft it may be but that's what has happened. Our results were better with him in the team and we were higher up the league.

We shipped three goals, in no small part down to the massive gaping hole in the centre of midfield.

He's one of our best players, not exactly a surprise we're missing him.

Exactly. Whether your rate Lucas or not (you'd have to be an idiot not to anyway), the argument is that we have missed his presence in the midfield and it's impossible to argue against that. Teams are pissing through our middle with ease. Jay Spearing is the next best thing and IMO should be one of the first names on the team sheet at the moment as he'd offer more to the side than Adam or Henderson are doing.

Guest Pistonbroke

Still not down to one player, against Bolton we were a shambles at the back and it was defensive mistakes which led to all three goals. If our defence have a shocker like that again we'll lose again as we don#t have the fire power to score 3 goals atm. No doubting Lucas has been missed in midfield but i personally think its going a bit far to make out him being missing is the reason we are dropping points.

Well we certainly missed Lucas.

But only because Charlie and Stevie didn't seem interested in tracking runners.

I'll give Stevie the benefit of the doubt though considering

A) Hes a legend whos carried the fucking team for years

and

B) I'm assuming it was his job to be the more attacking of the 2 central players

Charlie though, I'm not sure if its anything to do with lack of interest. I think hes just incapable of doing it. He can't chase or tackle. Hes so limited its unreal.

Got to agree with this. He started the season well but lately he looks like the midfield Andy Carroll.

I dont think Lucas is world class but he's very important to the way we want to play and maybe a bit like Makelele or Essien have been to Chelsea in recent years in that they are not individually great players but their roles were a big cog in the Chelsea wheel.

I dont think Lucas is on their level yet or maybe ever will be but he is the best we have in that role now at the club.

Exactly. Whether your rate Lucas or not (you'd have to be an idiot not to anyway), the argument is that we have missed his presence in the midfield and it's impossible to argue against that. Teams are pissing through our middle with ease. Jay Spearing is the next best thing and IMO should be one of the first names on the team sheet at the moment as he'd offer more to the side than Adam or Henderson are doing.

Agreed. Not as good as Lucas, but a huge improvement on what we're seeing at the moment. Against Bolton we had no-one tracking runs, tackling, or injecting urgency into our play. Jay will do that.

Agreed. Not as good as Lucas, but a huge improvement on what we're seeing at the moment. Against Bolton we had no-one tracking runs, tackling, or injecting urgency into our play. Jay will do that.

Collectively we don't look like we have the understanding or discipline to sit, press, and attack when necessary so I agree Jay's contribution is vital while Lucas is out or until we learn to play as a unit that doesn't leave gaping holes