You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Stuart Downing - what exactly is he?

Xherdan

He was a LOT better than this for Villa last year. I get that you don't like him and he would not have been my first choice signing either, but why completely make shit up?

It won't make people agree with you or think you're clever, it just looks like you're being a tool.

There's two Villa lads I'm mates with at my uni and they've both said he was overhyped last year and they did well to get rid of him for £20 million. He really isn't that good and I'm not surprised many people are voicing concerns over him.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with everyone saying we overpaid for him, but there is a better player in there than we are seeing at the moment.

I think that basically sums up his whole situation.

It was the general jist of the discussion during the summer also, good steady player but not worth 20 million.

In my opinion this year hes not done much wrong, he just hasn't done anything of any real note. He has plenty of time to find his feet some more but I have a feeling that is what we always get from him.

Good reliable performances but rarely spectacular or capable of changing a game.

I think that basically sums up his whole situation.

It was the general jist of the discussion during the summer also, good steady player but not worth 20 million.

In my opinion this year hes not done much wrong, he just hasn't done anything of any real note. He has plenty of time to find his feet some more but I have a feeling that is what we always get from him.

Good reliable performances but rarely spectacular or capable of changing a game.

That's the way I look at it. Over the life of his contract he will contribute. People expecting a 20m player forget we paid the english premium, the owners want to make a statement premium, the selling club doesn't have to sell premium, the we don't want to waste time haggling premium, the there are no left sided players premium etc.

We chose to pay those premiums, not him. Expectations need to be based on his previous performances not how much over the odds we decided we could pay.

The law of averages (oh, more stats) says performances will pickup and when the squad is stronger and Kenny understands him better the troughs will either disappear or someone else will come in. He may just end up a squad player, but as Riera showed sometimes that's enough to make a big difference.

Basically he's had two decent scoring seasons in his career, 9 with Middlesbrough in 2007-8 (which was followed by 0 the next year) and 7 for Villa last season. The other 6 or so seasons he's played he's averaged about 2.

Unfortunately he is what he is. A decent enough player with an above average left foot who has the odd high scoring season once every 3 or 4 years. Another complimentary player rather than a team defining one.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Basically he's had two decent scoring seasons in his career, 9 with Middlesbrough in 2007-8 (which was followed by 0 the next year) and 7 for Villa last season. The other 6 or so seasons he's played he's averaged about 2.

Unfortunately he is what he is. A decent enough player with an above average left foot who has the odd high scoring season once every 3 or 4 years. Another complimentary player rather than a team defining one.

Yep, it was clear at the time. The problem is that he didn't cost the 7/8m he should have, it was 20m. That money could have purchased somebody quite special, or at least have gone towards them.

Still, if the owners are still willing to put money in, he'll be a good squad strengthener.

I think that Downing struggles to play with Enrique. Enrique is such an attacking fullback that he takes up space and positions that Downing likes to play in. This means that Downing then has to take the ball into traffic where he is less comfortable.

Downing is an old fashioned knock it down the line winger and get the cross in. The problem is, is that we are playing more of a short passing game that requires more close control and trickery.

Agree with some on here who say it is a lack of confidence. He started well, but his presence in the side seems to be to make up the numbers. You hardly notice him in games, same with Henderson. Our on going problems in the wide areas has maybe put pressure on those two, which then has the knock on effect of affecting Carrol's form due to lack of quick, pacey, accurate crosses. I certainly hope Downing gets his mojo back, not just to improve the teams' goal tally, but for his sake too. When Carrol scored on Saturday, I was really pleased for him.

Agree with some on here who say it is a lack of confidence. He started well, but his presence in the side seems to be to make up the numbers. You hardly notice him in games, same with Henderson. Our on going problems in the wide areas has maybe put pressure on those two, which then has the knock on effect of affecting Carrol's form due to lack of quick, pacey, accurate crosses. I certainly hope Downing gets his mojo back, not just to improve the teams' goal tally, but for his sake too. When Carrol scored on Saturday, I was really pleased for him.

I said it about Downing a week or so ago, but he's now playing at a club where we are expected to take the initiative in the vast majority of our matches. Downing was previously at Aston Villa and Middlesbrough, and both were set up as counter-attacking sides that occasionally were required to take the initiative themselves. It's the main reason why Downing seems to get more involved when we are on the break ourselves, and why he often seems to be on the periphery when we are trying to break down the opposition. Henderson is another that is adapting to this change in approach, but he has acknowledged it when he spoke about needing to take more risks and become more effective in the final third.

I think that Downing is having a slump in form and that he will get better. Someone above said that he is not a team defining player and I couldn;t put it better. To me he is a step in the process, a solid citizen who can play and provide cover.

The left side is an exciting developement. Enrique is a real quality left back and Jack Robinson has massive potential. Stewart Downing is an improvement to the team and we are developing Sterling, who has a tremendous chance.

With Kennys man management, I believe it will work really well.

I couldn't agree more with Zig - he's a good player that's not hitting his straps and probably needs a spell on the bench. And i couldn't care less that he cost 20 million, or whatever. Anyone thinking Mata was going to come here is as deluded as the ones that think we had a shout for Aguero instead of Carroll. Utter nonsense.

Mata, like Aguero, had his pick of clubs - I doubt we were even on the shortlist.

I couldn't agree more with Zig - he's a good player that's not hitting his straps and probably needs a spell on the bench. And i couldn't care less that he cost 20 million, or whatever. Anyone thinking Mata was going to come here is as deluded as the ones that think we had a shout for Aguero instead of Carroll. Utter nonsense.

Mata, like Aguero, had his pick of clubs - I doubt we were even on the shortlist.

His da said he'd join us, i think.

We could've signed him, but chose to sign Downing.

Mata's dad said he'd join us, you think? That's it? That's your whole argument as to why we could have signed Mata but chose Downing instead?

Not one single journalist that was close to the club ever suggested we were interested in him but you reckon his dad said we were in for him.

Despite the lack of Champions league or even Europa cup football , despite the fact that Chelsea are a much more attractive option, for a variety of reasons, you think we could have signed him but chose Downing instead.

Just have think about it, just for a minute, before you commit your thoughts to words that I then have to read. For the love of God, please, I implore you.