You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Stuart Downing - what exactly is he?

Xherdan

Cool..............

So anyway, where were we?.

Downing's not impressed me so far, looks far too ordinary but we all knew we overpaid at the time for the level of his ability.

I actually think he is a good/very good player. The problem with him is not ability, but mentality. He needs to take more for himself and at times I get the impression that he doesnt believe deep down that he is a big player.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The first thing Stuart Downing needs to do is grow a pair of bollocks and watch some James Milner tapes. The sad thing is Milner is technically inferior to downing but he has twice the bottle and never shys away about getting stuck in even when hes having a off game.

Downing 11 appearance 0 goals 0 assists

Gervinho 9 appearance 2 goals 4 assists

I remember when few in this forum was saying how gervinho is not good enough, and he is easily outperforming Mr Average despite still adapting to the league. Downing has always been weak mentally and thats what will hold him back

Do you think it will last though? Don't you lot have a a history of players starting well and then fading fast?

I remember when few in this forum was saying how gervinho is not good enough, and he is easily outperforming Mr Average despite still adapting to the league. Downing has always been weak mentally and thats what will hold him back

I actually think he is a good/very good player. The problem with him is not ability, but mentality. He needs to take more for himself and at times I get the impression that he doesnt believe deep down that he is a big player.

I too think Abs could probably add something to the forum but this highlights his major, and ultimately fatal, flaw. One post is intentionally incendiary and a few minutes later, something sensible. Ban him or ignore him is my view. Trolls add nothing.

Probably a slightly unpopular opinion, but I'd much rather see him on the right cutting inside. Getting shots off like Johnson does for City. In Johnson/Kelly and Enrique we've got good width and decent pace out wide from the fullbacks. Henderson and Adam can also provide some service into the box when they're playing on the outside of a midfield three.

When he plays on the left he often seems to be occupying the same space as Enrique.

And I think that is indeed a large part of the problem that Downing is facing at the moment. Enrique is playing really well and taking up positions wide left high up the pitch and, for the most part, doing a good job in the process.

I noticed yesterday that there were times when Downing seemed to be stepping aside to let Enrique through. Not sure if that's a training ground issue or a mental one for Downing, but somebody needs to help him figure out how to adjust his game around the role that Enrique is playing. At the moment, he is disappearing from games because his natural position out wide is being occupied by Enrique and he doesn't seem like a player that's comfortable dropping inside and playing a more narrow role.

But Gervinho wanted CL football, we couldn't afford him, it's a different ballgame stepping up at Liverpool, he's too young, we don't have a French manager, he has shit hair etc. etc. etc. :wallbutt:

It's simple though - if Enrique is barnestorming past him on the left (which is great) then Downing should break his back to get into a treating position in the centre. Take up a goal scoring position. He's not doning that and seems to be like a spectator at the moment.

I don't think he's had one consistently good game for us yet and with each game looks less and less confident. I wasn't convinced by his signing in the first place but there's definitely a far better player there than we're seeing at the moment.

I think he needs dropping and taken out of the limelight. We've got other options we can use, because trying to play him into form isn't working at the minute.

i see downing deferring more the enrique overlapping now. it defeats the purpose of downing the winger in my mind.

i am also beginning to wonder if this infatuation with getting carroll going is somehow curtailing downing from playing his normal game.

maybe some time on the right is what is needed, to get him in a more direct frame of mind. gerrard and/or henderson can easily play on the left.

all the above said, we are only 10 games into the season really. so it wouldn't be outside the realm of normal to think he's still settling in. it does take time. just look at ashley young with the mancs. came out like a bat out of hell and has dipped recently. it happens

It's simple though - if Enrique is barnestorming past him on the left (which is great) then Downing should break his back to get into a treating position in the centre. Take up a goal scoring position. He's not doning that and seems to be like a spectator at the moment.

Thats exactly it. He needs to play further up and learn to make runs of the striker rather than play like a traditional winger as he will just get in Enriques space. And I doubt enrique is gonna change his style and just sit deep when there's space open ahead of him.

Walcott is far less talented player than downing, but the reason why his stats are so much better is that he gets in those positions and knows how to make runs of the striker. He mess most things up, but every now and then it works for him and the team benefits from it. And people saying he is a striker are wrong as he does as much defensive work as downing for his team. Walcott has played few games for southampton as striker....all his arsenal career since he was 16 he has been a winger

I agree, he should be - or at least taking up a position that keeps him involved in the build up play. At the moment, as you say, he's spectating, which is a waste of the talents that he clearly has.

I think it's as much a challenge for the coaching staff as it is for Downing himself. He is a little one dimensional and he is going to need to adapt his game a little if he's going to make himself a key part of this team - which I hope that he does.

I don't think he's had one consistently good game for us yet and with each game looks less and less confident. I wasn't convinced by his signing in the first place but there's definitely a far better player there than we're seeing at the moment.

I think he needs dropping and taken out of the limelight. We've got other options we can use, because trying to play him into form isn't working at the minute.

Agree 100%.

Guest SpiderLucas

I don’t think he’s lacking confidence or he’s out of form. This is the level he’s been at for Aston Villa from the start. If an average player like Downing has one good season, like he did last year 9 times out of 10 they will return to being average once more.

He’s never been quick and he doesn’t have a trick to beat the defender with, not to mention his crossing which is hit and miss to say the least. I’ll be surprised if there’s anymore to come from him.

I wasn't convinced by £20M for Downing, but he played well for Villa, not necessarily as an out and out winger, and started pretty well for us too, although the game has seemed to pass him by the last few matches.

The stats are slightly misleading, as he has put in some great crosses that haven't been finished off, and really he should have at least 4 or 5 assists to his name, plus perhaps a couple of goals.

I think he is better than the last few games suggest, and is an intelligent footballer. At the end of the season I think people's opinion of him will be better than it is now.