You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Walking Dead Thread (spoilers and zombies inside)

William_Ulsterman

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sure it has huge plot holes, thinly sketched characters, massive gaps in logic and zombies that obey no consistent rules... but it's still better than the Newsroom.

You have just as much right as anyone to be wrong. And boy are you there. Unless I missed the episode where Will walked in as a Weatherman for a week and no one ever asked why since.

I'm not. The Walking Dead is pulpy, silly and doesn't pretend to be anything else. It's one of the highest rated cable shows, it gives people what they want, which is zombies getting their heads stoved in imaginative ways. The Newsroom is a smug, pretentious show with Sorkin's political leanings given free reign to the point of egotism. The way it uses 18 month old news stories, that it can give it's holier than thou approach to, is one of the worst ideas I've ever seen executed on TV. The character names,  the Will is a Republican thing, the way Mac is meant to be an independent, clever woman yet she is completely in thrall to Will; all of it, it's foul and wretched. Why did season three take so long to get tentatively approved? Is it because Sorkin is 'so busy'? Or is it because his ego has been bruised because the universal adulation he thought the Newsroom would get hasn't been forthcoming?

But here's the craziest thing, I thoroughly disliked the Newsroom so stopped watching it. I couldn't see the point in getting needlessly irritated by it. You appear to be still watching the Walking Dead, even though you hold it in very low regard. Why?!

I'm not. The Walking Dead is pulpy, silly and doesn't pretend to be anything else. It's one of the highest rated cable shows, it gives people what they want, which is zombies getting their heads stoved in imaginative ways. The Newsroom is a smug, pretentious show with Sorkin's political leanings given free reign to the point of egotism. The way it uses 18 month old news stories, that it can give it's holier than thou approach to, is one of the worst ideas I've ever seen executed on TV. The character names,  the Will is a Republican thing, the way Mac is meant to be an independent, clever woman yet she is completely in thrall to Will; all of it, it's foul and wretched. Why did season three take so long to get tentatively approved? Is it because Sorkin is 'so busy'? Or is it because his ego has been bruised because the universal adulation he thought the Newsroom would get hasn't been forthcoming?

But here's the craziest thing, I thoroughly disliked the Newsroom so stopped watching it. I couldn't see the point in getting needlessly irritated by it. You appear to be still watching the Walking Dead, even though you hold it in very low regard. Why?!

The comedy returns!

That's the main reason I watch it. I find it often hilariously bad. Yeah, it can be entertaining but that's it. I don't get irritated by it, in fact I probably got more irritated by Dexter than I have during Walking Dead. A show doesn't have to be good for it to be enjoyable and Christ, this show ain't even approaching good.

I have said repeatedly that I get why people don't rate Newsroom. It is preachy as fuck. But I fail to see how something you think is preachy is worse of a drama than something that you openly admit to being so inconsistently written.

Never watched newsroom, looked shit to me just from the previews. Besides that I figured that since I get sick enough with the "real news" watching a show about the "news" would just be some masochistic endevour to partake in for the sole purpose of making me want to punch the next journalism (or more specificially broadcast journalism) major that I meet right in throat.

The walking dead however I was hooked from the first episode but started losing interest around midway in season 3 and only caught a few episodes after that point. I think the show was in danger of taking itself a bit too seriously at times over the last two seasons with the peak of that, for me anyway, being right around when I stopped watching. Of course everyone I know that did watch it has said that the finale and the couple episodes prior were excellent. Still, I settled for a few summary articles. Watched the season 4 premiere though and quite enjoyed it, it was supsenseful again (something I thought had been seriously lacking even as far back as the second half of season 2) and the zombie-bashing was prominent. The psycho woman was, in my opinion, a positive way the show can take itself seriously without seeming overly contrived or "ticky-tack" if you will. I wouldn't have done what Rick did though.

• 3 weeks later...

I think it's been a really good start. Naturally, it's been renewed for another year, given it's huge ratings. The virus is a masterstroke, though, I'd like to see it paired with an outside, non-zombie, threat.

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

I thought it was strange that they'd have Carol - I think that's her name, anyway - commit an act that really fleshes out her character and give the audience a reason to be interested, only to follow it up by having Rick banish her. It didn't make a lot of sense, to me. The kids are also annoying to me. If any of them could act, this show could become amazing, because nowhere would it be so visceral what humanity has descended to than with kids. That was one of the most remarkable, saddening and gripping about things season 4 of The wire, which I think is one of about 3 places, I've seen child actors used to make a show/movie better.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have no idea what the point of spending two hours fleshing The Governor out into a real live character with actual dimensions, only to kill him in the third hour. It is a crazy way to write a show. However, it can't be overstated just how great tanks are.

All in all a good half-season, probably their best so far. I doubt the baby is dead, but I really, really hope she is.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

This was close to how the governor died in the comic (and Ricks wife and child).

These 8 episodes have been superb and much better than series 2 and 3.

Spoiler that shit up, man!

I think that was a good episode. As good as any the show has produced.