You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roy Hodgson, know your role and shut your mouth

If Harry says 'no' then Hodgson is the perfect fit for England

By NEIL MOXLEY

UPDATED: 13:00 GMT, 8 March 2012

Comments (1)

Fabio Capello's resignation may have caused the smallest of ripples of interest at the Hawthorns and St Andrew's.

As these two clubs busied themselves with their league programmes, the Italian's exit from the national job may have been of little consequence.

While most of the country wondered why £6m-a-year was insufficient to coach a football team for a few matches this summer, it barely registered around our way.

International ambition: West Brom manager Roy Hodgson would jump at the chance to manage England

Personally, I thought England's shambolic performance before, during and after South Africa showed up his limitations.

Over-hyped, over-paid and over here, indeed.

However, the thoughts of a disconnected hack matter not. What does matter is the effect Capello's walkout could have on two of our Midlands' clubs.

It may have gone un-noticed - apart from those of us who receive regular updates from bookmaking firms (!) - that Roy Hodgson's odds to be the next England manager were slashed in half this week.

Hot favorite: Harry Redknapp is the overwhelming favorite for the England job, but if he does turn it down then it could cause a managerial shake up in the midlands

One of my colleagues has already second-guessed what may happen should Harry Redknapp turn down the chance of his lifetime.

My pal foresaw that there are only so many jobs that Stuart Pearce can do. (England Under-21s and the Olympics should keep him busy)

Where then will the Football Association turn in a hurry? B71 will be one obvious choice where there is a highly-credible candidate.

Hodgson has experience of international tournament football, an in-depth knowledge of the players at his disposal and is widely regarded for his coaching ability.

If you were in a fix, somewhere in the bowels of Wembley, where would you turn?

He has no skeletons to speak of and can talk the hind legs off a proverbial donkey. The media will be happy enough.

However, his fit with West Bromwich Albion at the moment is pretty much perfect.

I would be mightily surprised if the Baggies do not finish as the top Midlands' side this season. And I include Stoke City in that, too. (Note: Newspaper offices normally cover the Potters from their Manchester offices. I do appreciate the club has always been sited in north Staffs. It isn't my fault.)

Best in the region: West Bromwich Albion are currently the highest Midlands team in the Premier League

Hodgson's signings have added to a squad that finished strongly last season. Most, if not all of them, have paid off. And Shane Long's time will come.

There is one other factor in Hodgson's favour. He hasn't yet penned his new contract. It would cost the FA nothing to appoint him.

It is my understanding that Hodgson has settled well into life in a leafy north Birmingham suburb. But Graham Taylor ran the country's football team from there, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Next in line: FA Chairman David Bernstein could turn to Roy Hodgson for the vacant manager's job with England

But if his country came calling there is no doubt that he would answer. He has been asked on umpteen occasions and not ruled himself out.

Read more: Roy Hodgson is a perfect match for England - The Midlander | Mail Online

:facepalm:

I hope it does happen. Not really, hope Harry gets the job and fucks England and Spurs up.

Okay, let's assume there's a blue moon in the sky and you are right; Rafa left a pitiful squad. What made you assume that an owl with a chalkboard would take us comfortably higher than 7th place with the squad in a mess? And don't say "Paul Konchesky".

Yawn. How about a Jan transfer window with new owners and some funds. Hodgson fucked up so badly in the first half of the season that it became moot.

Hodgson has to be careful here.

He did well at Fulham and has done well at West Brom where there is very clear and decisive leadership, but failed here, where there was not.

The similarities between the FA’s spineless hapless management, and the dog days of G&H’s regime, as well as the media circus, are obvious.

Hodgson may well be boxing clever on a new contract at West Brom, but there will always be plenty of takers for what is a good job at a very well run club. If Harry/Levy try to drive too hard a bargain on a release clause, Hodgson’s availability will give the FA an option, but it is one that is doomed. Hodgson could easily find himself replaced at West Brom- and no England job.

The qualities that make a domestic manager successful, and those of an international manager are quite different – see Capello.

The FA need to start thinking inventively. No more four year contracts. One tournament, two year contracts only. The England player pool is mediocre. A Euros only appointment does have merit – Rafa loves European football and was best when he was fresh to a job at Valencia and here.Even he should survive a month without falling out with the FA. Why not give him a go in the summer only? He can then go on to a club job. A new man then has a two year team building project- which is quite different.

I hope Hodgson gets the England job and it just might happen. Harry is angling for a bidding war between the FA and Levy and the FA may not be so willing to pay him silly money after Capello's 6MM payoff. Besides, everyone loves Hodgson. Us bad Liverpool fans treated him poorly and our relegation battle under him was pretty much our fault too.

Hodgson was like Houllier - constantly trying to drive down expectations. Unforgiveable for any manager of LFC. Kenny gets what the club is about, that's why he doesn't get the abuse.

That 'ten games from greatness' stuff must be a figment of my imagination then.

We could all of us have old posts dragged up to batter each other with, some you win some you lose. I confidently predicted Salif Diao would be a Liverpool legend....ouch! My brother tortures me with that pearler to this very day.

There is still time for him to become the new Vieira.

yeah, gutted I am. Third box of hankies today. All tears, no jizz.

Is that what happens when you get to your age?

*searches Internet for everlasting jizz*

Just to add, who gives a fuck what anyone thought back then, who gives a fuck who was right and who was wrong?

I was a big follower of Rafa and argued with loads of posters on here who weren't. Doesn't mean either of us were right but a lot of us have met in the middle of those opinions since time the has passed.

Why feel the need to drag up old posts? Only people who lead a lonely sex deprived life in their bedroom do stuff like that.

Is that what happens when you get to your age?

*searches Internet for everlasting jizz*

Just to add, who gives a fuck what anyone thought back then, who gives a fuck who was right and who was wrong?

I was a big follower of Rafa and argued with loads of posters on here who weren't. Doesn't mean either of us were right but a lot of us have met in the middle of those opinions since time the has passed.

Why feel the need to drag up old posts? Only people who lead a lonely sex deprived life in their bedroom do stuff like that.

I don't mind people researching and dragging up old posts - it's part of the banter. Couldn't be arsed doing it myself though. It's a football forum on the internet, and it's obviously more important to some than others. I don't mind being wrong either, especially when the club is doing well. I think Kuyt is useless, and has cost us over the years. But if he scores a hat trick, I'm genuinely chuffed. While not a fan of the man, when Rafa was doing well, I was loving it. Those wins against Madrid and United were amongst the best times for me as a Liverpool supporter. We all get a bit over excited from time to time. But for some people, TLW represents a way for them to validate themselves. That's unhealthy, but each to their own.

Now I must go and check on my rep before I go to bed.

Kenny has won a trophy. But you'd have to be pretty deluded to think he hadnt made a fair few mistakes since his appointment. Particularly in the transfer market and the Suarez affair.

Kenny won a trophy as little as two weeks ago. You don't sack someone who just wins trophies, unless there's a disciplinary issue. As in Rafa at Inter.

Mistakes in the transfer market? The transfer fees paid were bigger mistakes. Our world-class forward was banned for 8 games for a "probable" offence. Our star midfielder in the engine room was out injured for 9 months. Those factors have made their own contribution to our results.

He made no mistake in the Suarez issue, he was right to back our player over a load of rubbish. He didn't handle the Sky interview at old toilet well, but then again, he hadn't seen what was behind it at the time. And the pre-game handshake business these days is a load of nonsense anyway.

On a side note. People seem to be utterly, and ignorantly, hubristic that Kenny is going to do well. He may, he may not. As with every manager, I'll judge him on his performance. The utterly defensive on here need to relax a little bit. People are allowed to express concern, disappointment or annoyance in his decision(s). I love KK, and I hope he achieves every success, because if anybody deserves it it's him. But after 3 straight seasons out of the CL, I also want to see our club back where it belongs. I'm confident Kenny can bring us that, but some of his decisions so far have been concerning.

You cannot question or express concern regarding Kenny Dalglish. Do so and your cards are marked. I know from bitter experience.

Hodgson has to be careful here.

He did well at Fulham and has done well at West Brom where there is very clear and decisive leadership, but failed here, where there was not.

Hodgson may well be boxing clever on a new contract at West Brom, but there will always be plenty of takers for what is a good job at a very well run club. If Harry/Levy try to drive too hard a bargain on a release clause, Hodgson’s availability will give the FA an option, but it is one that is doomed. Hodgson could easily find himself replaced at West Brom- and no England job.

A Euros only appointment does have merit – Rafa loves European football and was best when he was fresh to a job at Valencia and here.Even he should survive a month without falling out with the FA. Why not give him a go in the summer only? He can then go on to a club job.

Rafa had to go. 4 years of failure, constant fallouts with players, coaching staff, club officials, and hundreds of millions in transfer fees wasted saw to that. You can be guaranteed he'll find someone to cross swords with, even in a month's work.

At the time he arrived, Hodgson's stock in the club game was high. He had taken a minnow club 20 minutes from the drop to the UEFA Cup Final, was well liked in the game, admired by the press, and it cost us a fair amount of dough to buy him out of his contract to get him up here. It was a gamble, and he tried his best in very difficult circumstances, but it ultimately wasn't enough for Liverpool.

• Downvote 1

'SOS top brass in Arye's pocket'

Behave yourself Al because you are making yourself sound daft.

Name names, I want to know who was in his pocket, let's hear it?

I also suggest you watch the videos of the AGM from last week where some of the 'top brass' and members make their opinions clear on Ayre.

Is this all because Purslow has give you a sniff of attention, you all of a sudden start claiming he done no wrong, good luck with the interview (what's the reasons for it) I suggest you read the tale of Icarus once you are finished.

'I don't think Evra intended to foul him.'

:lol:

What a creep.

Those of you who dug yourselves a Roy Hodgson shaped hole should crawl back in it until the summer comes. You'll be able to cheer on 'Royson the magician' to your hearts content when he's England manager.

'SOS top brass in Ayre's pocket'.

Behave yourself Al because you are making yourself sound daft..

Harsh on SOS who have always done their best in very tricky circumstances, I agree.

The bigger problem is not of SOS being in Ayre's pocket, but in Ayre looking increasingly like an out of depth placeman who cannot find his way out of JW's.

The problem for SOS is finding a role now. The anti-g&h platfrom is won,the new owners are not G&H and have done little wrong, there is no appetite for fan ownership, the managers credentials are imoeccable even if results are not - there is nowhere for them to go now the fan forum has been established.

When G&H, Purslow and Hodgson were around the targets were clear.But their profile, and relevance, is fading fast. Kenny has now been back with us for three times longer than Hodgson was with us and will look at the releative performance of West Brom and us, without fear, or embarrassment.

• 5 weeks later...
I want him to die.

Wouldn't go that far like; what I would say though is that I find it quite astounding how far up Fergusons arse the man truly is, I honestly don't think I've ever seen anything quite like it. I remember that article when he got the job here about how he hoped "Sir Alex" would forgive him, I genuinely could not believe what I was reading and was gobsmacked it didn't attract more attention. Even if he were a good manager, and he isn't, anybody who affords Ferguson as much reverence as he does should never have been anywhere near the Liverpool job. Still the single worst appointment in our modern history for me. Atrocious decision on so, so many levels.

Wouldn't go that far like; what I would say though is that I find it quite astounding how far up Fergusons arse the man truly is, I honestly don't think I've ever seen anything quite like it. I remember that article when he got the job here about how he hoped "Sir Alex" would forgive him, I genuinely could not believe what I was reading and was gobsmacked it didn't attract more attention. Even if he were a good manager, and he isn't, anybody who affords Ferguson as much reverence as he does should never have been anywhere near the Liverpool job. Still the single worst appointment in our modern history for me. Atrocious decision on so, so many levels.

Yep, he didnt even get settled in, try and get the fans onside or anything, it was straight to "I hope Sir Alex can forgive me". Astonishing.

It was definitely the worst appointment I've ever seen. Couldnt win away from home. A Bristol City and Blackburn failure. His dire style was never going to suit Torres and Gerrard. He never raises expectations, he plays them down. We could be here all night listing 100s of reasons really, there is that many.

Even having him on a shortlist was gross negligence let alone appointing the idiot.

People going a bit ott here, he's not fit to be a Liverpool manager but he's not killed anyone last time I checked. Ferguson's his mate, that's no big crime - I suppose - and he is up his arse, but most of that breed of English manager is, Jim Smith, 'Harry' Bassett, Big Sam et al, proper old school shit - they don't like foreign managers, or foreigners, they like big lads up front and men on the post, jumpers for goalposts too.