You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Strike Action

Sugar Ape

Don't see how I am being a cunt? Firstly if I don't go to work I don't get paid so I can't afford to go on strike. Secondly if the private sector go on strike as we are not publicly funded we only end up putting our own jobs at risk.

How is that being a cunt, or is it the normal bollocks that you normally get from this site that if you don't tow the party line and disagree with certain posters then you get verbally abused?

Not a cunt, then: just stupid.

Firstly, nobody gets paid when they're on strike, as every sentient being knows.

Secondly, public funding does nothing to enhance job security of strikers. Maybe you're cowardly and gullible enough to believe your boss when he tells you that one strike will bankrupt the company, but in these days of cutbacks and privatisation, the threat carries at least as much weight in the public sector.

• Upvote 1

I don't think they are for me as such but we do share a common vested interest and from that point of view we do have common ground.

There are a lot of people out of work so I appreciate the fact I can earn a living so instead of looking for differences I look for common ground.

Your bosses thrive by increasing profits by cutting costs.  Your wages (and pension and holidays and working conditions and safety) are a cost.  There is a fundamental conflict between managers and wages - THAT is "the real world".

If you do have decent conditions, you did not get it from the kindness of your boss: you got it because somebody was prepared to fight for it.

RIP, YNWA etc

Slightly more seriously, how can any political party agree to support ALL strikes as a matter of principle?!

I know the Tories have never supported a strike in the UK in my lifetime but they're not idiotic enough to make outright opposition party policy.

It would have been better if he'd said that the default position - which the party can shift from, depending on the circumstances of individual strikes - would be to support the strike; especially if he'd then highlighted that the Tories, in principle, always support the bosses against the workers, without exception.

Which side are you on, boys?

Guest Pistonbroke

I find it's best to ignore those who offer nothing but abuse and hate. They're just trying to provoke a reaction because they thrive on inflicting misery on others. Don't even give them the satisfaction of a response.

Says the bloke who was banned for being an utter cunt, oh the hypocrisy. 

You have to be very careful expressing a contrary opinion around here. Most people elect to stay silent.

And, for goodness sake, don't even think about having a right-wing politician as your avatar.

No, you have to be careful saying that because you yourself may not be able to achieve better rights you have no sympathy for other people trying.

As it makes you look like a selfish cunt.

Bit embarrassing that you couldn't work that out. Makes you come across as deeply dim.

• Upvote 1

No, you have to be careful saying that because you yourself may not be able to achieve better rights you have no sympathy for other people trying.

As it makes you look like a selfish cunt.

Bit embarrassing that you couldn't work that out. Makes you come across as deeply dim.

RIP, YNWA etc

Slightly more seriously, how can any political party agree to support ALL strikes as a matter of principle?!

I know the Tories have never supported a strike in the UK in my lifetime but they're not idiotic enough to make outright opposition party policy.

Fair dinkum.

In news elsewhere....

WX5Uw2Q.jpg

AdothNg.jpg

Unions in my experience can only vote to go on strike if you are employed in the public sector ie teachers civil servants etc. If your in the private sector you go on strike your a trouble maker. You will get a pay rise of 1.5% each year. The only thing the union will do is negotiate water fountains, counsel trouble makers if they are getting a warning or as recently happened to us change start and finish times for certain shifts. There seems to be a consensus that strike action will ultimately harm the worker more than the company. It is for this reason I have very little sympathy or time for certain if not all public sector workers who go on strike.

Divided and conquered.

giphy.gif

Your bosses thrive by increasing profits by cutting costs.  Your wages (and pension and holidays and working conditions and safety) are a cost.  There is a fundamental conflict between managers and wages - THAT is "the real world".

It's a very simplistic view of the real world. Somewhat unforgivable when we're posting on a forum dedicated to an industry where the most successful and profitable firms are those who pay higher wages, not lower.

If your in the private sector you go on strike your a trouble maker. You will get a pay rise of 1.5% each year. The only thing the union will do is negotiate water fountains, counsel trouble makers if they are getting a warning or as recently happened to us change start and finish times for certain shifts.

As the former chair of a union in a private sector and privy to pay negotiations for 3 consecutive years I can confirm that this is bollocks.

• Upvote 3

It's a very simplistic view of the real world. Somewhat unforgivable when we're posting on a forum dedicated to an industry where the most successful and profitable firms are those who pay higher wages, not lower.

OK - it stands for the world that 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999% of the UK live in, even if the Premiershits are an exception.

Or have you got a stronger argument?